Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Open Sea Walkthrough (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197770)

Emabulator 09-05-2013 02:56 PM

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Open Sea Walkthrough

Quote:

Game Director Ashraf Ismail takes us on a tour of the Caribbean and its many locations to explore. Tavern fights, underwater shipwrecks, harpooning, smuggler's caves... have a closer look at some of the new activities that await you in the endless open world of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag !
Click on the headline to watch the video.

Emabulator 09-05-2013 02:56 PM

Evil Avatar 09-05-2013 04:12 PM

It looks like fun, but the graphics seem really cemented into this generation. I was hoping for a bit more from a launch title.

Suicidal ShiZuru 09-05-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2243110)
It looks like fun, but the graphics seem really cemented into this generation. I was hoping for a bit more from a launch title.

It's hard to tell what anything looks like with the terrible compression from Youtube. It would be nice if these giant developers could at least give us full quality previews.

Saudade 09-05-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2243110)

What the fuck?! No TressFX?!? Cancelled. Oh wait, nevermind. I didn't notice the free tube of Got2B glued included in the pre-order.

I agree. But that is how I feel about the next gen consoles as a whole.

BytorUK 09-06-2013 12:46 AM

Looks great although morally the harpooning grates a little ( pathetic I know )

You can tell that this comes from the same developers as Far Cry 3 , which is a very good thing in my book.

rubbishfoo 09-06-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BytorUK (Post 2243204)

You can tell that this comes from the same developers as Far Cry 3 , which is a very good thing in my book.

If any of those animals could harpoon you & get away with it, you be dead before you could blink. Dont think that Im joking - thats the way it is.

bean19 09-06-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubbishfoo (Post 2243241)
If any of those animals could harpoon you & get away with it, you be dead before you could blink. Dont think that Im joking - thats the way it is.

This isn't true. These animals kill for survival and food - not for money or boat upgrades; however, at the time that this game is set, the ocean had not been farmed by whalers yet, so these species were not endangered. Consequently, the impact of whaling back then wasn't as severe.

Evil Avatar 09-06-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BytorUK (Post 2243204)

I have to wonder if there will be a "white whale" for you to harpoon. Seems like too obvious of an easter egg for them to ignore.

Syl 09-06-2013 10:12 AM

If this game didn't have the words "Assassin's Creed" attached to it, it would be the game i've been dreaming of my entire life.

Stalwart 09-06-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syl (Post 2243298)
If this game didn't have the words "Assassin's Creed" attached to it, it would be the game i've been dreaming of my entire life.

Yeah, exactly. There is fun to be had with AC, but there are multiple factors that cause these games to leave me feeling flat.

The open-worldy elements always feel contrived--mechanics and objects put in place because "we are supposed to have this stuff".

The environments, while big, still feel like rooms rather than the outdoors, I guess because of layout choices.

And the biggest problem is the meta-story, if you will. The whole, "you're not really here and you're not really doing anything, because it's all just memories and your actual character is sitting motionless in a chair in the future", thing they are tied to now blows immersion out of the fucking water. At least for me.

This all results in the "exploration" feeling more like walking around in an amusement park, complete with trinket hawkers, than an organic world.

It sucks, because you can tell a lot of passion goes into creating these games, but it's like they know the words, but don't know the music.

Evil Avatar 09-06-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syl (Post 2243298)

It's pretty amazing looking. I know I'm leaning toward buying it. The more I see, the more there seems to be to love.

Evil Avatar 09-07-2013 08:41 AM

I was playing AC3 on the PS3 today. Man, it is one buggy mess. Characters that don't speak during cut-scenes, buttons that don't do what the tutorials tell you that they do, mission givers who give you missions, but no briefing on what the mission is.

It's crazy that it made it past QA and that none of this stuff has been patched.

morose 09-10-2013 10:55 AM

Yeah. Given the technical mess that AC3 was, the rush to get this out as a PS4/XB1 launch title makes me nervous about it's quality. Definitely a "wait and see" game for this one.