Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Xbox One to Launch on November 22, 2013 in 13 Markets (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197684)

Evil Avatar 09-04-2013 08:29 AM

Xbox One to Launch on November 22, 2013 in 13 Markets

The release date for the Xbox One has been announced! It will hit stores on November 22nd, a week after the PlayStation 4 and it will still cost $100 more than the PS4. Huzzah!

Quote:

This is a big week for Xbox One! I am pleased to share a few exciting developments as we continue our journey to deliver the best Xbox ever.

First, we hit an important milestone as we began full production of the Xbox One console recently. The culmination of many years of listening to you, our fans, developing innovative technology, and partnering with the best game and entertainment partners in the industry has brought us to this point. There is still a lot more work to do, but the teams are making excellent progress and are focused on launch.

Speaking of launch, we’re now in a position to share that Xbox One will be available on Nov. 22, 2013 in all 13 of our initial launch markets – Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, UK, and USA. Many more markets will follow in 2014.

We are humbled and gratified by the tremendous interest in Xbox One from game fans everywhere. We sold out of our pre-order supply faster than at any other time in our history and we are on path to have the biggest launch of an Xbox ever. We look forward to celebrating with millions and millions of gamers this holiday.

As a result of this incredible consumer demand and the development progress on Xbox One, I am thrilled to share that today we are making available a limited number of additional Xbox One Day One consoles for pre-order. We have coordinated with our retail partners to make it easy for you to reserve your Xbox One today.

Finally, in the spirit of continuing to bring new value and excitement to Xbox, I am also pleased to confirm that the development team has increased the CPU from 1.6GHZ to 1.75GHZ, roughly a 10 percent increase in CPU performance. This is on top of the 6% increase we previously announced for the GPU. What does this mean to you the gamer? It means that the Xbox One will have that much more power for developers to make their games and entertainment really shine. We’re going to keep bringing more value to the Xbox One as we head towards launch building on some of the advancements we have already shared such as the 40 plus improvements to the Xbox One controller, advancements to help you find the perfect opponent and make the most of our online community, to the power of the cloud.

And I have to mention the games - Xbox One is proving to be the best place for games, with our exclusive games winning over 100 awards at E3, driving pre-order increases of 200% in European markets after gamers first played our blockbuster line-up at gamescom, and blowing away thousands of fans at PAX Prime this week-end. Only on Xbox One will you find exclusive blockbusters like "Halo," "Dead Rising 3," "Ryse: Son of Rome" and "Forza Motorsport 5"; new digital content from titles like coming "Call of Duty: Ghosts" and "Battlefield 4" coming to Xbox One first; and the "FIFA 14" Ultimate Team experience you won’t find anywhere else.

November 22 is a special day in Xbox history – on this day, we first launched Xbox 360 in 2005.* Our next chapter begins in 79 days, when Xbox One becomes available. We built Xbox One to bring you the best games, unrivaled multiplayer and more entertainment than ever before. It’s nearly time to say “Xbox On” and open a new world of games and entertainment.
Got any hot plans for launch titles? I'm thinking Killzone, Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV.

laggerific 09-04-2013 08:38 AM

I'll likely check out Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3. For those on PC, I'll just stick with that. What I'm really looking forward to is the Windows drivers for the controller...like that d-pad.

AspectVoid 09-04-2013 09:03 AM

Honestly, I really don't care about the X1. I have no desire for it to take over as a media center, no desire for a Kinect, and no desire for its first party titles. I really don't see a reason to pay $100 more for an X1 over a PS4.

However, I do hope that those that do get an X1 have a great experience with it and love it. I think I've reached the point where I simply want people to have a good gaming experience no matter their platform of choice. Gaming should be a hobby that everyone can love no matter what platform they choose, be it Xbox, Playstation, PC, or even Pen & Paper.

firecut 09-04-2013 09:06 AM

Good luck with that Microsoft, lol.

Major Scud 09-04-2013 09:17 AM

I've got mine paid off (PS4 too), but I think MS is still in trouble. Target near me is getting 10 on launch day, and they've only sold 2 so far. WiiU sold out same day at that same target. PS4 also sold out same day orders went up.

Maybe throwing North America a pack-in title wouldn't be the worst idea at this point.

LoTECH 09-04-2013 09:18 AM

I'm not gettin one until Spring, and I could care less about the Kinect.

But this is where I'll be doing my "next-gen" gaming.

Pluvious 09-04-2013 09:19 AM

" increased the CPU from 1.6GHZ to 1.75GHZ, roughly a 10 percent increase in CPU performance."
- well that was a smart move. Good on them.

I heard a rumor from a friend that they are locking out external drives on the USB 3.0 jack. I guess so they can sell us their overpriced proprietary drives(?) Can anyone confirm this?

Wolfgang 09-04-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluvious (Post 2242743)
" increased the CPU from 1.6GHZ to 1.75GHZ, roughly a 10 percent increase in CPU performance."
- well that was a smart move. Good on them.

I heard a rumor from a friend that they are locking out external drives on the USB 3.0 jack. I guess so they can sell us their overpriced proprietary drives(?) Can anyone confirm this?

External drive support will be missing at launch. To my knowledge that is all that has been officially said on the matter.

Jhooud 09-04-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Scud (Post 2242741)
I've got mine paid off (PS4 too), but I think MS is still in trouble. Target near me is getting 10 on launch day, and they've only sold 2 so far. WiiU sold out same day at that same target. PS4 also sold out same day orders went up.

Maybe throwing North America a pack-in title wouldn't be the worst idea at this point.

I stopped by Gamestop, and they said they'd just gotten a larger allocation today. Didn't say how many, just that they could take Day One preorders now.

Good? Bad? Indifferent? Le shrug.

Rommel 09-04-2013 09:46 AM

The hard drive issue is an under-reported story. We do not know how to expand the thing and everything needs to be installed.

The extra units are likely those that were stolen from Northern Europe--they were routed to America.

I think the later release date is a good idea. It might delay PS4 purchases and harming Sony is good for MS. The refusal to drop the price is still going to be a problem. Maybe the extra C-note will give the perception to confused mommies and daddies about which machine is more powerful / is the real long-term toy. The fact that the machine is still weaker, even after its marginal overclocks, is a shame. That extra on the price could have been used to justify a big step up on the GPU and, instead, is going to the evil camera no one wants.

SaintBlitzkrieg 09-04-2013 10:00 AM

I love when people talk about how one console is weaker than the other like it actually matters. It simply doesn't. When you have a multi console game, they are going to make it for the lowest common denominator. Thus making all that extra power useless.

Sure, talking about it makes it seem more important, but power doesn't mean success. Look at the PS3. They were easily the greater console on the power side, and yet their console is considered a fail. Power doesn't mean shit. What gamers purchase matters. And I feel that MSoft is in a better boat than Sony.

As for coming out a week later, it doesn't matter. The first batch is all preorders anyways. As for the Target having units left over, I don't think of Target as a go to store for my electronics like games. Best Buys, Gamestop are your big ones. After that you have your Walmarts type stores, then Target. Those units will get snagged up. When you have people scrambling for the last second because that is what the human race does, they will find those.

drakkarim 09-04-2013 10:01 AM

still haven't seen anything worth buying either system for. will wait for xmas, 2014.

shadow763 09-04-2013 10:07 AM

That box is more exciting than the console itself.

I am going to grab Killzone. Warframe is F2P I believe and a day 1 for me on PS4 so I will be "getting" that. Considered Watch Dogs, but really that should be better on PC so will stick to that.

Suicidal ShiZuru 09-04-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg (Post 2242753)
I love when people talk about how one console is weaker than the other like it actually matters. It simply doesn't. When you have a multi console game, they are going to make it for the lowest common denominator. Thus making all that extra power useless.

If only this was true.

Quote:

As for the Target having units left over, I don't think of Target as a go to store for my electronics like games.

I guess it may depend on how many are in your area but they tend to have killer deals on games. It seems to be random too and rarely advertised much if at all. They are also important enough to get their own LE controllers. They had the transparent red one for PS3 so I got one.

Rommel 09-04-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Sure, talking about it makes it seem more important, but power doesn't mean success. Look at the PS3. They were easily the greater console on the power side, and yet their console is considered a fail. Power doesn't mean shit. What gamers purchase matters. And I feel that MSoft is in a better boat than Sony.

As for coming out a week later, it doesn't matter. The first batch is all preorders anyways. As for the Target having units left over, I don't think of Target as a go to store for my electronics like games. Best Buys, Gamestop are your big ones. After that you have your Walmarts type stores, then Target. Those units will get snagged up. When you have people scrambling for the last second because that is what the human race does, they will find those.

Actually, the lowest common denominator-effect is exactly why one should care. The ceiling doesn't matter, obviously, PCs are already well ahead both consoles, but the games that go multi-platform are going to be greatly influenced by how low the is floor.

SaintBlitzkrieg 09-04-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2242758)
Actually, the lowest common denominator-effect is exactly why one should care. The ceiling doesn't matter, obviously, PCs are already well ahead both consoles, but the games that go multi-platform are going to be greatly influenced by how low the is floor.

Which I agree, but the range between isn't catastrophic. Its not going to hurt either console. Plus, us geeks only care about that. The common consumer, someone like my girlfriend, don't care. I could rattle off this conversation and her response would be

"um ok, it still looks nice so I care why?"

And that is what matters. Hardcore are going to buy regardless. Its getting that second level buy, then the third, then the forth etc. And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Its not a concern, and the world we will still spin afterwards.

I am not trying to be an asshole by this, and say I don't care, but its really not a big issue. Is the jump forward nice, of course, more the better, but its not going to be bringing the videogame industry crushing down either.

SaintBlitzkrieg 09-04-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru (Post 2242757)
I guess it may depend on how many are in your area but they tend to have killer deals on games. It seems to be random too and rarely advertised much if at all. They are also important enough to get their own LE controllers. They had the transparent red one for PS3 so I got one.

I live in a off suite neighborhood off Milwaukee. Its a big enough city. We have a Walmart, Target, Gamestop, Best Buy all in throwing distance from one another. I was curious to know if they had any units left and they said the minute they get allocated more units they are sold out because they have lists started for individuals. And that goes for all stores.

My buddy at work has been trying to snag a Day one of the X1 since they announced preorders, and every store he turns to doesn't have them. And he has traveled far and wide, and he finally broke down and purchased it off the MSoft store I believe.

And you have to take that into effect as well. How many people in your area shop online. Amazon is way bigger than it was at the last console launch. Not to mention you have their respected stores like the Msoft store.

Both consoles will fly off the shelves when they get them in. We won't know who won for years to come, and getting a strong start really doesn't mean anything because people like all of us, tend to buy both because they both offer something we want in one form or another. Its comes to those other people that buy. I just can't wait for it to start.

As for this day, you will be able to catch up with me online, playing either Battlefield 4/Ghosts/Dead Rising 3/Madden. I will be running the twitch service that week as well, so if interested when I get it launched I will post it. And it should be going for most of the first week. I have the 22nd thru the 1st off. And I will be running a live stream most of the time hopefully.

31 Flavas 09-04-2013 10:34 AM

It still ships with the all-seeing eye of sauron, but it just is no longer required to be plugged in, right?

RocketMagnet 09-04-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 Flavas (Post 2242764)
It still ships with the all-seeing eye of sauron, but it just is no longer required to be plugged in, right?

Not sure but you may find specific games require it on to function, so kind of a switcheroo by Microsoft there.. yeah you don't have to switch it on but it's those nasty developers forcing you to.. ohh seeing as it's on we may aswell gather personal data on you and your family to sell on to our partners, surely you don't mind :rolleyes:.

Personally I quite liked the look of Dead Rising 3 and liked the less slapstick approach... if it wasn't for all the shit Microsoft tried to pull i'd be XboxDayOning myself for this game. I heard it was suffering serious performance issues however but confidence was high that they would resolve the slowdowns in time. It does have the odd good looking game but tbh like the PS4 there is no absolute must have exclusive despite what either gang of devotees say. Still if Sony deliver they tip the scales but only by a small margin... depends if you want to support Microsoft's policies knowing your just personal details that they can sell.

Ohh and power alongside ease of development does matter (Sony learned you need both), you can be damn sure if Microsoft's box was more powerful on paper they would be shouting from the rooftops, but it's not so they say power doesn't matter :), agree with them to some extent but it's hypocritical of them imo.

Still for those getting an Xbox1 i'm sure you'll enjoy it looks like a reasonable machine despite the flaws.

bean19 09-04-2013 10:59 AM

I think the X1 is a really cool console, but I also think it costs $500. :)