Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - A Tour of Eorzea (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194455)

Emabulator 07-04-2013 06:01 PM

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - A Tour of Eorzea

Take a tour through the realm of Eorzea in these Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn videos composed of both PC and PS3 footage.

Click on the headline to view the first three videos in the series.

Emabulator 07-04-2013 06:01 PM

Anenome 07-04-2013 07:53 PM

This is online-only right? Monthly subscription? Pass.

Tolgar 07-04-2013 10:10 PM

End of August can't come soon enough.

oldschooldimo 07-04-2013 10:13 PM

Yoshida really did a great job turning this game around. Everyone seems to be really pleased and excited for this game, including myself. Loving the beta, and ready for august!

Orphiuchus 07-04-2013 10:14 PM

I'd be really impressed if they fixed the game... but I think its pretty damn unlikely.

Tolgar 07-04-2013 11:25 PM

By all accounts that I've seen so far, this is a now a fixed game. The only arguments otherwise I've seen are people tired of the MMO genre (especially the non-action kind) and people who don't want to pay subs.

LilBunnyFuFu 07-04-2013 11:45 PM

I would gladly pay $60 for this if it followed the GW2 model and went free to play. I'm so impressed with the way ArenaNet is handling it that I wish others would follow suit.

Tolgar 07-05-2013 12:32 AM

I dunno, no expansions in GW2, all new content to be "living story" temporary things that you can't revisit? I get they wanna change up whats going on, but there is a thing called consistency. I'd wager most people playing a game want to experience whats in the game, having the majority of your new content be temporary is like being nothing but holiday events, expect the next year never comes so you don't get to do it again?

I dunno where I was going with that lol. GW2 is an interesting experiment and a lot of people seemed to have fun for a while, but I'm not sure how much of an MMO it is.

As far as payment for FFXIV goes, its free if you payed for the first 1.0 version, $30 otherwise, and $12 a month to start. That's 1 character per server but since 1 character can be ALL classes at any time, that's all you need. You can pay the usual $15 to get 8 per server but I have no idea who needs that.

Rommel 07-05-2013 12:50 AM

I will never get over how long it took to fix this game. It was so vapid and broken that the recreation took longer than some AAA-development cycles.

rubbishfoo 07-05-2013 08:08 AM

I can't stop thinking that Eorzea just sounds a lot like Eyeore-za.

But hey - if FF online is your thing, would be awesome if they got it right for those folks.

Grumsh 07-05-2013 09:16 AM

I am quite happy with how FF14 is turning out and will subscribe again when the game goes live. Speaking of subscriptions thank goodness there are still monthly sub games out there, I just killed (and uninstalled) my Rift subscription and now I have a replacement!

bean19 07-05-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tolgar (Post 2226571)
By all accounts that I've seen so far, this is a now a fixed game. The only arguments otherwise I've seen are people tired of the MMO genre (especially the non-action kind) and people who don't want to pay subs.

I've also read that it is derivative (next to no innovation). I don't think MMOs need to be reinvented for every release, but they should have neat features that set them apart from other similar titles.

Syl 07-05-2013 10:18 AM

This game is so fucking gorgeous. My roommates getting it, so i'll be curious to see him play it.

Tolgar 07-05-2013 10:53 AM

WoW itself was derivative, the only thing it had going for it that was unique was the Warcraft storyline, a very short amount of time to level, and directed quest hubs. Every other feature at release was gathered from all the MMOs that came before it. Everyone loved it because it DID have all the features that were cool all in one package.

Also for a lot of us MMO vets, the FFXI system of "one character/all classes and jobs" is a godsend because we're sick of rolling new alts every time we want to try something different. That gets really old at max level when you have 4-6 characters all needing to do reputation grinds, collect tokens, do daily quests, get past gated content. It's why I couldn't play Rift anymore, I stopped WoW when I had 3 80s and like 10 70s, EQII was the same. Had a max level swashbuckler but to do another class you gotta level AND AA grind on each one. It used to be endearing, the "this genre never ends so I'm getting my money's worth", but as I turn 30 this year, its just getting annoying.

It won't pull in everyone, and that's fine, it's also not western or korean developed for a change, which is nice. Nothing against either, but both have been churning out very similar games for the past 8+ years now.

rubbishfoo 07-05-2013 12:09 PM

Tolgar,

That is a great point & something I hadn't even considered. Required time was the #1 reason I stopped playing WoW & having multiple characters I wanted to play compounded the problem. Thanks for the heads up about that.

Ravijn 07-05-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2226560)
I'd be really impressed if they fixed the game... but I think its pretty damn unlikely.

They did. I've been in the beta for a bit now and the game looks amazing. It's pretty much what a FF MMO should be.

There will be an open beta eventually...so check it out.

DarkDaY 07-05-2013 01:07 PM

That looks dam pretty. I would be all over this I think on pc if it wasn't for the monthly, I never have and never will pay a monthly fee for a game after initial purchase.

Anenome 07-05-2013 01:36 PM

Thing is, I'm tired of pretty MMOs. Show me dirty, grungy, horrific, ugly. Pretty's easy. Dirty is hard. Or rather, making dirty look good, look right, is hard. It's the difference between a perfect square polygonal box and one that's had extra steps to make it looks weathered and old.

bean19 07-05-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2226720)
Thing is, I'm tired of pretty MMOs. Show me dirty, grungy, horrific, ugly. Pretty's easy. Dirty is hard. Or rather, making dirty look good, look right, is hard. It's the difference between a perfect square polygonal box and one that's had extra steps to make it looks weathered and old.

From an artist's standpoint, pretty is more difficult. You can use dirt to cheat.