Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Final Fantasy VII Released on Steam (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194435)

Emabulator 07-04-2013 01:25 AM

Final Fantasy VII Released on Steam

Square Enix has released Final Fantasy VII on Steam for $11.99.

Quote:

The RPG classic Final Fantasy VII is Now Available on Steam!

In Midgar, a city controlled by the mega-conglomerate Shinra Inc., the No. 1 Mako Reactor has been blown up by a rebel group, AVALANCHE. AVALANCHE was secretly formed to wage a rebellion against Shinra Inc., an organisation which is absorbing Mako energy, destroying the natural resources of the planet. Cloud, a former member of Shinra's elite combat force, SOLDIER, was involved with the bombing of the Mako Reactor.

Can Cloud and AVALANCHE protect the planet from the huge, formidable enemy, Shinra Inc.?

BeachGaara 07-04-2013 02:20 AM

What's the $DLC going to be, the extra Weapons? The minigames?

Don't hold out on me.

alienchild 07-04-2013 02:57 AM

This is fucking great! I'm purchasing this and 400 Days when I get home today. Oh man, so awesome :D I hope Square Enix puts out FF VIII as well.

Azrael 07-04-2013 05:16 AM

One of my favourite games of all time and the game i keep wishing would get a HD remake more than any other.

This is going to force me to play this again :D

Terran 07-04-2013 05:20 AM

Never played it. Is this game like Beyond Good and Evil in that everyone raves due to a serious case of hyperbolic, selective memory, or is it as good as people continually claim?

Maybe it will be on the Steam Summer Sale.

TDiddy 07-04-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2226361)
Never played it. Is this game like Beyond Good and Evil in that everyone raves due to a serious case of hyperbolic, selective memory, or is it as good as people continually claim?

I never understood the love for Beyond Good and Evil. I played it when it first came out and thought it was merely ok. Then I played it again when they released it on XBLA and was reminded of how mediocre it is.

FFVII, on the other hand, was something fresh and cool when it first came out. Outside of nostalgia, it has aged extremely poorly.

Azrael 07-04-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terran (Post 2226361)

Maybe it will be on the Steam Summer Sale.

For its time it was a amazing game, game of the year material (from multiple different sources). 92% of metacritic and not one reviewer gave it below 80%. Cinematics were breathtaking for the time and many credit it with bringing the RPG to the west. Great use if mini-games as well which to my knowledge werent that popular up to that point. The Japanese went bananas for this game, i remember walking down a isle at in a shop a good 10+ years after the game came out and the entire isle was dedicated to FFVII merch... Amazing

Could you go back and play it? If you love old school turn based RPG's, dont mind dated graphics and have 50+ hours to play the game sure, which is exactly while i'll play it again. But for the most part no, people wouldnt tolerate it.

Alot of people hate on this game and i'm not sure why, many state that other games in the franchise were better games. Each to their own i suppose. Anyone who says the game is rubbish is talking crap though. Really was a amazing game - not to say there hasnt been better, but this really was a special game for its time

MasterKwan 07-04-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

I find most old games suffer from this. The original Fallouts for example are unplayable.

bean19 07-04-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterKwan (Post 2226365)
I find most old games suffer from this. The original Fallouts for example are unplayable.

Yep. I'm in the same boat. So many games that I absolutely loved as a little kid are completely unplayable now. Even games from high school that are just 10 years old now are often terrible. Game designers have moved the ball forward.

kefka95 07-04-2013 07:43 AM

What does this PC version bring to the table? Is there any reason to play this over an emulated PS1 version, where I get high-res polygons, save states, and fast-forward (essential for slow-moving/grindy combat)?

kefka95 07-04-2013 07:51 AM

Also, I agree that this is a game that's ripe for remaking (if it's done right). Square has to know that it would print money - it doesn't seem possible that they haven't given serious thought to it.

That said, it's hard to know whether the game would keep its charm if it was remade with hyper-detailed photo-realistic graphics, voice-acting, etc.

Metal Khaos 07-04-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrael (Post 2226364)
Could you go back and play it? If you love old school turn based RPG's, dont mind dated graphics and have 50+ hours to play the game sure, which is exactly while i'll play it again. But for the most part no, people wouldnt tolerate it.

That about sums it up. The game had a great story I feel and what keeps me playing again is the battle system. It's still slow turn-based action, but I do love the Materia system.

It's a fun game, I suggest just getting instead if you ever get a PSP or Vita. It's much nicer to have on a handheld as opposed to large screen. Though there have been PC mod releases to make the graphics a bit better.

Azrael 07-04-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kefka95 (Post 2226383)
What does this PC version bring to the table? Is there any reason to play this over an emulated PS1 version, where I get high-res polygons, save states, and fast-forward (essential for slow-moving/grindy combat)?

Achievements, thats about it i think. From memory graphics should be pretty much same as original :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by kefka95 (Post 2226384)
Also, I agree that this is a game that's ripe for remaking (if it's done right). Square has to know that it would print money - it doesn't seem possible that they haven't given serious thought to it.

That said, it's hard to know whether the game would keep its charm if it was remade with hyper-detailed photo-realistic graphics, voice-acting, etc.

I've made it well known on this site that im a budget gamer, usual price i pay for a game is less than $10, throwing it out there though, i'd easily pay $200 for a proper HD remake of this game... I'd wanna play it that much

StANTo 07-04-2013 10:22 AM

I don't understand why I had to put in my date of birth to view the store page for it.

SaintBlitzkrieg 07-04-2013 11:16 AM

Does anyone know if we can use a controller with this game thru Steam?

Doctor Apocalypse 07-04-2013 11:19 AM

FF7 was a classic growing up, i might pick it up for nostalgia's sakes.

ElektroDragon 07-04-2013 11:39 AM

ARGH!!! I bought this directly from Squenix for $5 or so during a sale because it was slightly enhanced with some built in achievement system. And now the Steam version comes out with Steam achievements. ARGH!!!!

I had the original PC version back in 1997, but I never finished it because I could not wrap my head around swapping out characters in a JRPG at the time. (It was my first true JRPG).

Hagetaka 07-04-2013 12:02 PM

I loved FFVII. One of my favorite games to this day. But I think I'll skip this.

Give me an HD remake though, and I'll pony up some cash.

gojira 07-04-2013 12:24 PM

Holy Puck Man-bat!

gojira 07-04-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kefka95 (Post 2226383)

From the web page:

Quote:

Character Booster Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.
So there's that, cloud saves (I thought this was a pun at first), achievements, and the boost thing. Plus "optimized for PC" which frankly I think means "we ported it." But hopefully not some crappy hack port.