Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pacific Rim - "Under Attack" Featurette (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194231)

Emabulator 06-30-2013 01:22 PM

Pacific Rim - "Under Attack" Featurette

Quote:

From acclaimed filmmaker Guillermo del Toro comes "Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures' Pacific Rim."

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes—a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)—who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind's last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
Click on the headline to watch the video.

Emabulator 06-30-2013 01:22 PM

Anenome 06-30-2013 01:35 PM

Or you could, you know, just go buy a copy of Evangelion and get the story from the source :P

Another example of Hollywood stealing ideas and repackaging them for the masses. Remember Fist Full of Dollars? Clint Eastwood's first big movie? It's a remake of a Japanese attempt to make the typical American Western called Yojimbo. And the original is sooo much better :)

---

Yay! Charlie Day!

Also, why are there two pilots in each Yager(sp?)? Moing in unison? Why?

Also, terrible title I think.

automaton 06-30-2013 04:28 PM

Bitch bitch.

The only thing about this movie that makes me unhappy is the fact that it isn't coming out over the July 4th weekend. Nothing much worth seeing coming out that weekend anyway (except Lone Ranger which makes my point).

Suicidal ShiZuru 06-30-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2225405)
Or you could, you know, just go buy a copy of Evangelion and get the story from the source :P

Another example of Hollywood stealing ideas and repackaging them for the masses.

The connections to Evangelion are minimal... Which is even obvious from the trailers.

Quote:

Director Guillermo del Toro deliberately avoided watching classic Japanese monster films when he was making “Pacific Rim,” his upcoming robots-versus-kaiju film.

“I felt there was a chance to do something fresh, something new that at the same time was conscious of the heritage, but not a pastiche or an homage or a greatest hits of everything,” Del Toro said. “One of the first things I did is make it a point to not check any old movies or any other references. Like start from scratch.”
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...-from-scratch/

Suicidal ShiZuru 06-30-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2225405)
Also, why are there two pilots in each Yager(sp?)? Moing in unison? Why?

*Jaeger

Nightedge 06-30-2013 05:05 PM

Actually I enjoyed Fist Full of Dollars much better..Eastwood had the attitude..Pacific Rim looks like fun..My wife and I will probably check it out and just enjoy it..We try not to judge. Makes it so much more enjoyable

lockwoodx 06-30-2013 05:27 PM

My Jager rolls with a pair of AC/20s. Kaiju have been bitching I'm OP for ages.

Anenome 06-30-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru (Post 2225431)
The connections to Evangelion are minimal... Which is even obvious from the trailers.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...-from-scratch/

If they're just robots then perhaps, but if there's kaiju inside armor suits being controlled by the humans riding them, Eva.

In any case, I don't expect much from an American director when it comes to this genre. The Japanese have mined this genre to its essential gold and elaborated the plots in every direction.

Not researching that in order to 'start fresh' is like the poet who doesn't read other poetry in order to avoid accidentally stealing or something. He's simply out of touch with state of the art.

Nachokoolaid 06-30-2013 05:49 PM

Good thing GDT is Mexican then.

Nachokoolaid 06-30-2013 05:51 PM

And if you're implying that GDT is uninformed about this stuff, just leave. He's forgotten more about Geek culture like this than you'll ever know.

Tolgar 06-30-2013 06:01 PM

Eva isn't the only piloted super robot mecha anime out there. With the 2 pilots thing going, its almost more like Aquarion, minus the 3 fighters combining and the whole winged-Atlantian thing.

Anenome 06-30-2013 06:07 PM

I fully intend to watch this, yo, I'm just saying he can't escape the comparisons, even if he wants to, and I seriously doubt even GDT can surpass something like Evangelion.

Jack9 06-30-2013 06:22 PM

This movie looks incredibly stupid. As a scifi fan, there's nothing to like about it. If they couldn't get robots right in RobotJox and Real Steel, why would I watch this trash?

sixtyfps 06-30-2013 08:14 PM

The Eva series' film-reimagining will soon be complete. I was waiting for that to do a proper marathon of the films.

I'm still going to see this unless it stinks.

automaton 06-30-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2225440)
In any case, I don't expect much from an American director when it comes to this genre. The Japanese have mined this genre to its essential gold and elaborated the plots in every direction.

Not researching that in order to 'start fresh' is like the poet who doesn't read other poetry in order to avoid accidentally stealing or something. He's simply out of touch with state of the art.

Yeah, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. If you would have looked into Guillermo del Toro's past you would have learned 2 things:

1. He's Mexican. Many of his movies are in Spanish.
2. He's made enough superb genre films to earn some good will and confidence leading into this movie.

I understand that some of you are butt hurt that this looks similar to something else you love but is trying to be its own thing. How about we all join hands and hope for the best here so more stuff like this can be made. I've heard so many geek nit picks about this movie I want to puke. Let's all see the movie and then we can bitch if it is actually bad.

People who root against something are fucking losers. Their mom made dumb babies.

Nachokoolaid 06-30-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack9 (Post 2225448)
This movie looks incredibly stupid. As a scifi fan, there's nothing to like about it. If they couldn't get robots right in RobotJox and Real Steel, why would I watch this trash?

You're going to be eating these words. I've seen more entertainment in just the trailers for Pacific Rim than in both those films combined.

Terran 06-30-2013 08:42 PM

Honestly, this just looks like a Saturday afternoon Godzilla vs. Mothra straight to dvd film, with mechs on one side rather than a creature.

Anenome 06-30-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automaton (Post 2225460)
Yeah, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. If you would have looked into Guillermo del Toro's past you would have learned 2 things:

1. He's Mexican. Many of his movies are in Spanish.

I'm acquainted with the man, a fan too. Wtf does his being hispanic have to do with the genre in general? Nothing! It's not like his movies never made it to the US. Maybe I should've used the word 'western' and you wouldn't have complained?

Quote:

2. He's made enough superb genre films to earn some good will and confidence leading into this movie.

Really? In the robot / monster movie genre? I'll give you monster movie with him, but robot?

Quote:

I understand that some of you are butt hurt that this looks similar to something else

You're misreading me. I only question whether his effort can stand up to existing properties. If not he shouldn't bother making it.

Quote:

you love but is trying to be its own thing. How about we all join hands and hope for the best here so more stuff like this can be made.

It has to be good for more to be made, that's the concern here--will it be any good?

Quote:

I've heard so many geek nit picks about this movie I want to puke. Let's all see the movie and then we can bitch if it is actually bad.

People who root against something are fucking losers. Their mom made dumb babies.

None of this was rooting against it. What's wrong with you?

Demo_Boy 06-30-2013 08:47 PM

I just cant separate the Portal from the Pacific Rim computer voice. I know that;s intentional. But, I dont like it.