Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dragon Age: Inquisition Official E3 2013 Teaser Trailer (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193330)

Evil Avatar 06-12-2013 04:47 PM

Dragon Age: Inquisition Official E3 2013 Teaser Trailer

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5347/...6b4e4ff638.jpg

Click on the Headline for the Video.

Evil Avatar 06-12-2013 04:47 PM

Evil Avatar 06-12-2013 07:39 PM

No one expects the Dragon Age Inquisition!

gravlax 06-12-2013 10:00 PM

Good RPG takes forever to get it right and needs to be released when it's ready, not when shareholders say so. Corporate structure's not suitable for the time investment required to release quality RPG so they should avoid entire RPG genre IMO.

LoTECH 06-12-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravlax (Post 2220107)
Good RPG takes forever to get it right and needs to be released when it's ready, not when shareholders say so. Corporate structure's not suitable for the time investment required to release quality RPG so they should avoid entire RPG genre IMO.

Did you play the last Dragon Age? They kinda did avoid the RPG genre. It was about as far as you can go into the "action" genre as you can go while still being an RPG.

I liked it, but it had SERIOUS problems.

Coldeath 06-12-2013 11:36 PM

Well I guess its better than the 2ed one but that was the quality of a high school mod sooo.... not hard. I'm am still not quite sure how doa went for a better than average strategy rpg, to a piss poor action game with rpg elements.

brandonjclark 06-12-2013 11:58 PM

If it's close to the first one then it's fucking on!

gravlax 06-13-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoTECH (Post 2220133)
Did you play the last Dragon Age? They kinda did avoid the RPG genre. It was about as far as you can go into the "action" genre as you can go while still being an RPG.

I liked it, but it had SERIOUS problems.

Yes, finished the game in a couple days and traded in. Not a bad game but they still marketed it as RPG. Now they're taking the 3rd iteration to open-world genre which, I think, is essentially RPG market on consoles. I just don't think the genre suits big corps that rely on annualization but they're probably thinking, "if Ubisoft can pull it off with Assassin's Creed..." It seems to me SW Battlefront(EA's answer to Activision's Destiny) is heading that way as well since DICE said they're not doing the remake so it's only cost-effective to share the tech & toolsets between 2 IP's I guess.

Take2's smart to take time and get it right with GTA franchise. Not sure if EA can figure that out.

rubbishfoo 06-13-2013 11:01 AM

Ya know... the story of DA2 was actually pretty decent. It was the other things that ruined the game. I will make a list of them that come to mind! =D

• Generic and Lifeless Environments.
• Re-using the same Generic and Lifeless Environments for fetch quests.
• Enemies that spawn in the shadows above you on a sunny day.
• Big Boss fights are completely about Kiting while ranged does damage
• The system is not designed to allow for Kiting during large boss fights
• Mages are gay. Mages are treated like outcasts. Mages have feelings too. Mages can't help themselves. Mages are abominations peroid. Mages are not abominations period. Mages are seeking equal marriage rights. Blood mages can be good guys too - even though they are bad guys. Mages. Mages. Mages. Mages.
• Writers assume that their audience is 6 years old & has to have EVERYTHING explained to them ala "Japanese cartoons are weird man."
• Combat mechanics are terribly unbalanced.
• Uninspired characters.
• Convoluted Character development system that essentially accomplishes whatever role you want to do whatever - IE specialization can occur in nearly every tree, while only 2 classes actually feel like they do what they were designed for.
• The loot system. Is stupid. We like finding swords & shit Bioware - what happened?

That's a start at least.

Story - was solid. Everything else was such a let down from the first Dragon Age game. What a shame.

randir14 06-13-2013 11:05 AM

^ I agree with all of that. After the shit that was Dragon Age II, and with RPGs like Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 on the horizon, I have a hard time caring about anything coming from Bioware.

rubbishfoo 06-13-2013 11:06 AM

After writing that... I am just thankful that there is a company (CDPR) that seems to understand what gamers want out of role playing games today and how to go about attempting new things.

One of the things that I consider a HUGE contrast between the (formerly awesome) Bioware and CDPR (current RPG beacon of hope) is the writing in dialogue.

In the Witcher games... the writing felt mature. I was asked to fill in the blanks here & there & understand motives. It didn't pretend to be something it wasn't & I was able to believe in the characters.

Bioware held my hand the entire time and made the world feel like a system instead of letting the gamer actually lose themselves in the world they created.

willbert 06-13-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubbishfoo (Post 2220274)
After writing that... I am just thankful that there is a company (CDPR) that seems to understand what gamers want out of role playing games today and how to go about attempting new things.

One of the things that I consider a HUGE contrast between the (formerly awesome) Bioware and CDPR (current RPG beacon of hope) is the writing in dialogue.

In the Witcher games... the writing felt mature. I was asked to fill in the blanks here & there & understand motives. It didn't pretend to be something it wasn't & I was able to believe in the characters.

Bioware held my hand the entire time and made the world feel like a system instead of letting the gamer actually lose themselves in the world they created.

I dunno bout story but the combat in the original witcher was so annoying and boring that i said fuck that game after 5 hrs in. is witcher 2 better?

rubbishfoo 06-13-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbert (Post 2220400)
I dunno bout story but the combat in the original witcher was so annoying and boring that i said fuck that game after 5 hrs in. is witcher 2 better?

I think its more strategic, but often feels clunky to be honest. Sadly, combat outside of sign doesn't feel terribly rewarding. Hopefully the combat mod will fix some of that.

Everything else in W2 improved 1000%.

My only other gripe is the menu driven inventory system.