Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rift is Now Free to Play (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193328)

randir14 06-12-2013 02:53 PM

Rift is Now Free to Play

Trion Worlds' Rift MMO is now free to play. If you want to try it out head over here and sign up.

lockwoodx 06-12-2013 02:57 PM

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh Meh.

brandonjclark 06-12-2013 06:25 PM

Anyone jumping in?

randir14 06-12-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2220058)
Anyone jumping in?

I am. I tried The Old Republic recently and got bored when I reached level 16. Also tried going back to Guild Wars 2 but the servers are dead. I checked Rift's cash shop and didn't see anything overpowered, and a lot of stuff gives you the choice of paying gems (real money) or in-game gold. The game started me with 180 gems and the only thing I've bought so far is a horse.

brandonjclark 06-12-2013 11:00 PM

I'm on it this weekend, then.

Strider 06-12-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

limits

This is the official list of limits placed on a trial account, along with a few notes on what else we've discovered (in red):

A RIFT subscription is required to access any characters on the account above level 20
Maximum Level: 20

Can only create two characters per shard

If you subscribe for a month, then you can transfer more than 2 under 20s onto the same shard, and then have access to all of them if you stop subscribing.

Maximum Currency: 5 Platinum / 500 Planarite / 2000 Favor
See note under guilds.

Mail: Receive only; cannot send

Trade: Receive only; cannot initiate

Items: Can only equip 'Rare' and lower quality
This includes costume items.
Planar essences that you 'socket' in your planar focus can be epic quality.

Open Zones: Terminus, Mathosia, Freemarch, Silverwood, Meridian, and Sanctum
Terminus and Mathosia are instanced starting areas, and cannot be returned to once you have left them.

Crafting: Novice (75) skill-level cap
If you gain a higher skill while subbed, then you don't lose points, you just can't access any recipes over 75.

Guilds: Member only; cannot be promoted
Can use guild chat, and also withdraw from or deposit to the guild bank (both items and gold). This means that you could have a subscribing player sell items for you (not that low level items have much value).

Chat: Local channels + level chat only; no global chats (trade/lfg/etc.)
from http://f2p-rift.wikispaces.com/limits

randir14 06-13-2013 12:21 AM

Those were restrictions for a free trial account, which no longer exists.

Mix-Master 06-13-2013 02:51 AM

If only it had a fov slider or adjustment. The camera was way too tight for my liking.

Demo_Boy 06-13-2013 06:14 AM

So are those the f2p limits, because it seems restrictive

SaintBlitzkrieg 06-13-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mix-Master (Post 2220190)
If only it had a fov slider or adjustment. The camera was way too tight for my liking.

You can zoom out, I was playing last night and all I had to do was use the scroll button on my mouse and it zoomed out for me.

As for jumping in, I obviously have. I played it when it first came out for a few months. My problem was that balancing of players in the world. I found the opening area amazing, with the Rift portals opening up at will that added good flow to the game. A nice distraction from the fetch this, and fetch that quests.

But later in the game, once you leave the first main area (its pretty big and lots of quests between the time you start and the time you leave) there wasn't as many people there, so those Rift events felt like you were the only one trying to close them which is hard to do.

But I hopped back on last night in hopes to see a lot more people playing. I didn't check that aspect because I deleted all my characters and started fresh. There seemed to be a lot more people playing. I dont ever remember seeing that many starter people before. It was pretty intense to see they got that many people day 1 of this.

As for the game as a whole. Its fun. The rift events add to the game. Nothing like running to do a fetch quest and all of a sudden you have a rift open up. They usually have a nice weekend event every so often, and those are fun and enjoyable as well. And then they also usually have something monthly going on as well that is nice.

abso 06-13-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demo_Boy (Post 2220208)
So are those the f2p limits, because it seems restrictive

No, those were the old trial account limits while it was still a subscription game. See http://www.riftgame.com/en/store/free-to-play/ for more info. It's probably the first no-restriction F2P title I've seen.

MrE 06-13-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abso (Post 2220216)
No, those were the old trial account limits while it was still a subscription game. See http://www.riftgame.com/en/store/free-to-play/ for more info. It's probably the first no-restriction F2P title I've seen.

Agreed. I played this in Beta, and was prepared for the FTP to be gimped, but I found that while my shard was no longer up and running (server), I could transfer all three of my characters over. With a 1 hour queue last night, I finally jumped on and ran around. I don't recall seeing so many logged in at once. The sheer size of the groups for public rift events made me smile.

SaintBlitzkrieg 06-13-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrE (Post 2220295)
Agreed. I played this in Beta, and was prepared for the FTP to be gimped, but I found that while my shard was no longer up and running (server), I could transfer all three of my characters over. With a 1 hour queue last night, I finally jumped on and ran around. I don't recall seeing so many logged in at once. The sheer size of the groups for public rift events made me smile.

Yeah, seeing all of those people around rifts was a huge sigh of relief.

kwolf 06-13-2013 03:07 PM

Rift was a great game while it lasted. They failed and failed and failed again to get class and equipment balance right for pvp which ruined it for me.