Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Mirror's Edge is Open-World (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193298)

Emabulator 06-12-2013 11:14 AM

New Mirror's Edge is Open-World

GameSpot is reporting that DICE's new Mirror's Edge title will be an "open-world action adventure game."

Quote:

The new Mirror's Edge game officially announced this week will feature an open world, publisher Electronic Arts confirmed this morning during a conference call.

EA Labels boss Frank Gibeau described the new game as a cult classic and said it enjoyed a "great fan reaction" at E3's briefing on Monday.

"We're bringing Faith back in this open-world [emphasis added] action adventure game," Gibeau said.

The Mirror's Edge sequel is currently in development for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. According to developer DICE, it will be released "when it's ready."

gojira 06-12-2013 11:26 AM

I like the look and I like the concept of Mirror's Edge. I bought a copy of the first one a while back cheap on Steam and I saw immediately what people mean when they say "first person parkour doesn't work."

It's insanely hard to pull off even some of the basic stunts because you can't see what you are doing. The concept is there, but with no feedback other than the slightly altered direction of the camera (which is often pointed directly at the wall you are trying to climb), it's insanely hard to guess exactly when you need to hit a button to execute a maneuver.

Third person parkour might work. That would depend on the camera not going complete bonkers though, so "open world" makes the thing seem a little dodgy to me.

Meusli 06-12-2013 11:43 AM

Cool, put me down for the PC version. I was a little fazed when someone here pointed out it was just called Mirrors Edge, therefore a remake of the original. Well it looks like they are doing a reboot of the game and being open world definitely peeks my interest.

ElektroDragon 06-12-2013 12:00 PM

Oh this is very, very good news.

Phoenix1985 06-12-2013 12:05 PM

That is tasty. Very Tasty.

bub64882 06-12-2013 12:15 PM

I think the first person Parkour worked really when. WHEN you got on a spree, it was absolutely amazing, and you felt the motion unlike almost any game before it. But yes, it was too damn hard, and there was often only 1 "right" way to get past obstacles, which is counter to the concept of Parkour. You don't want to take the "free" out of "free-running".

So it needed some tweaks, but I saw enough that I liked to give it another shot.

AspectVoid 06-12-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gojira (Post 2219871)
I like the look and I like the concept of Mirror's Edge. I bought a copy of the first one a while back cheap on Steam and I saw immediately what people mean when they say "first person parkour doesn't work."

It's insanely hard to pull off even some of the basic stunts because you can't see what you are doing. The concept is there, but with no feedback other than the slightly altered direction of the camera (which is often pointed directly at the wall you are trying to climb), it's insanely hard to guess exactly when you need to hit a button to execute a maneuver.

Third person parkour might work. That would depend on the camera not going complete bonkers though, so "open world" makes the thing seem a little dodgy to me.

Honestly, I found it very much like Portal, where you need to treat it like a puzzle game. Once you know where you're going through a level, it is absolutely incredible and flows insanely well. But until that point, its a lot of stop and analyze.

ashikenshin 06-12-2013 12:27 PM

I think assassins creed 1 did a better job than mirror's edge. Still played a ton of mirror's edge when it came out though

see colon 06-12-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AspectVoid (Post 2219900)
Honestly, I found it very much like Portal, where you need to treat it like a puzzle game. Once you know where you're going through a level, it is absolutely incredible and flows insanely well. But until that point, its a lot of stop and analyze.

This perfectly sums up why I'm disappointed in the news that it's open world. I like the idea, I just don't think it will work.

LoTECH 06-12-2013 01:10 PM

I never finished the game, and traded it in. 2 weeks ago I decided to download some games on the cheap from Games on Demand on LIVE.

I am replaying it, and thoroughly enjoying my time with it. Very excited for the next iteration.

Demo_Boy 06-12-2013 01:12 PM

Open world is basically super promising for ME2.
Likely there will be a 3rd person camera (option at least)
My challenge to the devs is to make an elegant hybrid camera that transitions between first and third person depending on context and inertia.

Aka. if you are running at a ledge, it briefly transitions to 3rd person to show you climb the ledge, and then when you are up it slides back into first person.

Ghostblaze 06-12-2013 01:44 PM

Awesome, can't wait to play the finished product.

Karai Pantsu 06-12-2013 05:00 PM

Instantly interested. The levels were cool and fun in ME, but they were BEGGING to be more open world-y.

PacerDawn 06-12-2013 06:10 PM

I loved the first one, one of the few games I've actually finished. The fact that this one is open-world makes it all the more interesting to me.

DeluxE 06-13-2013 07:29 AM

Mirror's Edge was a great concept that ended up being a pretty fun game with a terribad narrative and a dissapointing lead protagonist.

But for me the biggest problem was that the world was totally sterile. What this game needs is the feeling of a movie foot-chase through a crowd. What's the point of running through office buildings and the like if they're just empty rooms? I almost prefered the abstract environments from the original's DLC, just because the incongruous settings of the main game distracted me so much.

Back then I felt like the technology might not have been at the level needed to fully realize this concept, but that's not an excuse anymore.

My expectations are high. We'll see how well they pull this off!

Karai Pantsu 06-13-2013 01:36 PM

I think adding people to the mix would have probably have ruined the flow of the game. What I loved about the original was smoothly transitioning from one move to the next and making a seamless getaway. Adding moving obstacles into the mix seems like it'd ruin that feeling. But I agree, in an office complex, there should be some people. Most of the game didn't take place in those areas, so it made more sense that it was empty.

see colon 06-13-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karai Pantsu (Post 2220355)
I think adding people to the mix would have probably have ruined the flow of the game. What I loved about the original was smoothly transitioning from one move to the next and making a seamless getaway. Adding moving obstacles into the mix seems like it'd ruin that feeling. But I agree, in an office complex, there should be some people. Most of the game didn't take place in those areas, so it made more sense that it was empty.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. What Mirror's Edge was, in essence, is a first person Sands of Time, without the time changing mechanic. There were spots with some lackluster combat, and then an obstacle course where you had to travel from point A to point B, mostly without enemy interruption.