Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Layoffs at Electronic Arts (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189808)

Emabulator 04-12-2013 11:39 AM

Layoffs at Electronic Arts

GameSpot is reporting that Electronic Arts has cut an unspecified number of jobs as a means to "streamline" operations for the upcoming console transition.

Quote:

Electronic Arts laid off an unspecified number of employees today as part of an effort to "streamline" its operations and ensure the company is well-positioned for the upcoming console transition.

"EA is sharpening its focus to provide games for new platforms and mobile. In some cases, this involves reducing team sizes as we evolve into a more efficient organization," EA senior director of corporate communications told GameSpot today in a statement.

Reseburg declined to say which specific EA teams were impacted by today's cuts.

"These are difficult decisions to let go of good people who have made important contributions to EA, and whenever possible we retrain or relocate employees to new roles," he added. "Streamlining our operations will help ensure EA is bringing the best next-generation games to players around the world."

Today's layoffs come a month after former CEO John Riccitiello admitted that EA would miss its financial projections for the full-year ended March 31.

vallor 04-12-2013 12:12 PM

Rumor has it the Mythic and Bioware MMO teams were hit fairly hard.

AkumaATR 04-12-2013 12:14 PM

Is EA job volatility even news anymore? Hire/fire/repeat is their mantra. They've no problem hiring hundreds for new studios/projects, then laying them off shortly before ship or soon after (people who often have relocated their families for new positions). IMO it's not practical trimming of the fat -- they trim from the bottom when they should be trimming from the top. Why is positive/constructive change so hard for these fossil companies?

bean19 04-12-2013 12:19 PM

@AkumaATR - Could you link your information? I'd be interested to read an article that knows that much about what EA is doing.

Terran 04-12-2013 01:26 PM

If you get in bed with the devil, you shouldn't be surprised if eventually you get burned.

Rommel 04-12-2013 01:28 PM

Laid off from the Montreal office, I believe--the very one they were hyping as the most radical place to work one week ago. Really, it isn't EA's fault. At this point, the fact that game devs do not unionize is laughable. I am a libertarian, I hate unions, but even I am disgusted at the stories of "We were working 100 hour weeks for promised permanant positions before they fired us!" Band together like adults and get paid for your overtime or get a new career.

AkumaATR 04-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean19 (Post 2202508)
@AkumaATR - Could you link your information? I'd be interested to read an article that knows that much about what EA is doing.

I don't have an article, I am the article, lol. I've followed industry news long enough to know that this is just business as usual for EA. I can tell you the shining example that stands out with me, as it was close to where I live: EA Chicago, the instance that closed in 2007. Feel free to read up on that ridiculous situation more if you like.

blackzc 04-12-2013 07:08 PM

RocketMagnet 04-13-2013 12:30 AM

It's pretty sad for those families but really if you work in the industry then surely
you have to consider it more like contract work nowadays..?

Don't mean to be callous but just observing from the outside this seems to be
increasingly the case.

Ultimately they wont touch the boardroom as they are the ones deciding.. but in my experience
in most if not all companies you could easily cull 80% of the exec team as really most
big companies are really driven by a few really clever people.. the rest are just bull shitters.

ElektroDragon 04-13-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2202523)
Laid off from the Montreal office, I believe--the very one they were hyping as the most radical place to work one week ago. Really, it isn't EA's fault. At this point, the fact that game devs do not unionize is laughable. I am a libertarian, I hate unions, but even I am disgusted at the stories of "We were working 100 hour weeks for promised permanant positions before they fired us!" Band together like adults and get paid for your overtime or get a new career.

You could not have said it better. Remember this before you rake me over the coals next time for something I say you perceive as stupid.

lockwoodx 04-13-2013 06:44 AM

and people wonder why Kickstarter is getting so popular.