Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   From Software Promises Better PC Version of Dark Souls 2 (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189750)

randir14 04-11-2013 02:22 PM

From Software Promises Better PC Version of Dark Souls 2

From Software is hoping to make amends for their poor PC port of Dark Souls. They say the PC version of Dark Souls 2 will have much more care put into it and will launch simultaneously with its 360 and PS3 counterparts.

Quote:

"A lot of it was not very well done, sort of half-assed," Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura told Shacknews via translator (Tak Miyazoe), while promising a much better experience for the sequel.

"Yes, we will definitely put more priority on the PC. Last time, we started working on PC after the console version was complete," Tanimura explained. "This time, because we are considering the PC from the beginning, you can be sure there will be more care put into PC development."
Read more at Shacknews

Ravijn 04-11-2013 02:32 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Hpmomos.jpg?1

DeluxE 04-11-2013 03:17 PM

Saying that they are "considering the PC from the beginning" does not equate to PC being the lead platform.

If that were true, this would be a very different looking game, (ie, better graphics).

randir14 04-11-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeluxE (Post 2202281)
Saying that they are "considering the PC from the beginning" does not equate to PC being the lead platform.

If that were true, this would be a very different looking game, (ie, better graphics).

I saw another interview that suggested PC is the lead platform, but it was translated from Spanish so it could be a misunderstanding. I've edited the original story to be on the safe side.

Quote:

Q: The demo presented during the event ran on PC. This means there is also a PC version developed in-house?

A: The version shown before the interview actually ran on PC. If the first Dark Souls was adapted from consoles to PC, this time, it's the opposite. The PC version serves as a base from which the warranty is adaptations consoles. Clearly, the game is being developed simultaneously on different machines directly internally.

http://www.vandal.net/avances/pc/dark-souls-ii/20225/1

lockwoodx 04-11-2013 04:03 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.

AkumaATR 04-11-2013 04:10 PM

Half-assed you say? So everyone gets half their money back then?

Rommel 04-11-2013 05:10 PM

They promised a good job on the first one. People paid money, do they just claim a mulligan and all is forgiven?

vallor 04-11-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2202317)
They promised a good job on the first one. People paid money, do they just claim a mulligan and all is forgiven?

This is Dark Souls. The self-anointed "real" gamers who determine what gets labeled as a worthy game treat this thing with the same reverence the masses treat CoD... they'll buy it no matter what they say to the contrary regardless of the state of the game.

Paranoia 04-11-2013 06:25 PM

Still not buying this as long as it supports that piece of shit callled GFWL.

vallor 04-11-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoia (Post 2202329)

I'm not sure it will. G4WL was shutdown in August 2012 and they hadn't been accepting new projects for a bit before that.

AFAIK only legacy products will be supported (and that only till mid/end of this year). This game will have to use something different (better!) than Games for Windows LIVE.

Paranoia 04-11-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2202335)
I'm not sure it will. G4WL was shutdown in August 2012 and they hadn't been accepting new projects for a bit before that.

AFAIK only legacy products will be supported (and that only till mid/end of this year). This game will have to use something different (better!) than Games for Windows LIVE.

I really do hope GFWL is completely dead and the team responsible that disastrous service fired, and anybody in favor of that piece of shit service should commit harakiri while jumping off a cliff landing head first.

brandonjclark 04-11-2013 08:55 PM

If its a proper port I'll buy it. I've wanted to play this series for some time but the first port blew chunks from what I've heard.

inscribed 04-11-2013 08:59 PM

The first one sucked on PC because of GFWL. The other flaws were manageable, but there was no getting around that bullshit GFWL.

vallor 04-11-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inscribed (Post 2202348)
The first one sucked on PC because of GFWL. The other flaws were manageable, but there was no getting around that bullshit GFWL.

You obviously have an axe to grind with GFWL, which was the least of the problems with Dark Souls.

Everyone had the fun of experiencing:
  1. Shitty Performance
  2. Gross game instability and crashes
  3. Straight ported art assets that could have been very much improved for the PC
  4. Terrible keyboard and mouse implementation
  5. List goes on and on
Very rarely: People had issues with GFWL.

I suggest their execution of GFWL integration was handled with the same "skill" as the rest of the product and you'd have seen the same problems regardless of what matchmaking/backend system they used. They just did a shitty job. But that wouldn't fit your narrative of "FROM WAS GREAT GFWL IS TO BLAME!" so ignore me.

inscribed 04-11-2013 09:39 PM

Please reread what I wrote. I said the other flaws were manageable. As in, there were patches and work arounds for the other flaws of the game. There was no work around for GFWL.

Has this been properly explained now? I know words can be hard to read, but please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

ElektroDragon 04-11-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoia (Post 2202329)

HA! That's the only reason I WOULD have bought it! It was never a POS, you were all just ignorant.

vallor 04-11-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inscribed (Post 2202356)
Please reread what I wrote. I said the other flaws were manageable. As in, there were patches and work arounds for the other flaws of the game. There was no work around for GFWL.

Has this been properly explained now? I know words can be hard to read, but please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Random crashes and saved game corruption aren't exactly manageable... not getting an achievement (the most common Dark Souls complaint about GFWL) is something someone can live with. Especially when it's very probable the novice devs working on the project didn't implement the APIs correctly. But that's ok, I know once the hate glasses come on it's hard to see things objectively.

shadow763 04-11-2013 10:12 PM

After applying the community made patches to fix the visuals, the PC version looks pretty great. I only played a few hours of it so I never ran into any performance issues or crashes so I can't speak to those. So far I have not had any major issues with it.

The bar is so low for a port at this point that the dev doesnt have to do much to improve upon it.

All the vids of Dark Souls 2 on the consoles is hard to look at. The graphics are just really bad at this point on those platforms. They work if that is all you have, but if you can do better, it would be tough to go back.

Agnostic Pope 04-11-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2202320)
This is Dark Souls. The self-anointed "real" gamers who determine what gets labeled as a worthy game treat this thing with the same reverence the masses treat CoD... they'll buy it no matter what they say to the contrary regardless of the state of the game.

Ah yes there are people that would rather have a game be played out for them as long as it looks pretty and it has explosions. Or any shooter! But on top of that let us be bitter and shit on the adventure "open" world game for no fucking reason!

Metal Khaos 04-11-2013 10:34 PM

New engine, with focus on pc first. When they mention considering the pc from the beginning, they simply mean from the planning stages.

PC is said to run at 60fps while the consoles ports are aiming to do 30fps with no slowdowns like Blighttown.