Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Elysium Trailer (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189653)

randir14 04-10-2013 12:59 AM

Elysium Trailer

Sony Pictures presents the first trailer for Elysium starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster. The movie is directed by Neill Blomkamp, best known for District 9.

lockwoodx 04-10-2013 01:05 AM

That just looked generic and stupid.

sai tyrus 04-10-2013 02:22 AM

I'm looking forward to it.

zakatti 04-10-2013 03:05 AM

Looks interesting!

Arnold Darkshner 04-10-2013 03:19 AM

I'll definitely give this a chance, especially after District 9.

DeadPixel 04-10-2013 03:24 AM

District 9 was simply awesome, can't wait for this movie.

Suicidal ShiZuru 04-10-2013 03:53 AM

I'll give it a chance for the District 9 association as stated above but also to see the futuristic Bugatti at 1:59.

sai tyrus 04-10-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suicidal ShiZuru (Post 2201812)
I'll give it a chance for the District 9 association as stated above but also to see the futuristic Bugatti at 1:59.

Man you got me to laugh out loud on that one!

Fizzl 04-10-2013 04:53 AM

Didn't really give a reason for him attacking Elysium other than envy. Maybe I missed that bit?

Seems like you could substitute Elysium for USA and Earth for Africa/Middle East and maybe swap his super suit for a bomb suit then set it in this century.

ElfShotTheFood 04-10-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizzl (Post 2201818)
Didn't really give a reason for him attacking Elysium other than envy. Maybe I missed that bit?

Health reasons. He has cancer or some other serious illness. Not mentioned/shown in the trailer (unless I missed it).

automaton 04-10-2013 06:55 AM

Didn't they say something about him needing medical treatment?

Either way, I loved me some District 9 so I'm all over this. I think Neill Blomkamp is the next big thing in science fiction. Considering how original District 9 was, there is no reason to think Elysium will be generic crap.

Vulture 04-10-2013 07:56 AM

OWS 150 years from now.

/you mean Foster and Damon are not part of a propaganda effort?

sai tyrus 04-10-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automaton (Post 2201838)
Didn't they say something about him needing medical treatment?

Either way, I loved me some District 9 so I'm all over this. I think Neill Blomkamp is the next big thing in science fiction. Considering how original District 9 was, there is no reason to think Elysium will be generic crap.

This. And it's great to see new sci-fi content being made. It's high quality stuff. And like District 9, I think the trailer undersells the high points of the movie, which to be honest, is probably a good thing. Too many trailers nowadays pop their rocks and show all the good stuff. Or they over sell the movie and leave you severely disappointed. I'm confident Blomkamp can keep it going and think he'll be making some amazing movies for quite some time. I just hope he stays with sci fi!

bean19 04-10-2013 09:20 AM

Interesting that the themes mirror some of the ones we have here in the United States with healthcare being exceptional for the rich, cripplingly expensive for the middle class, and limited for the poor.

ElektroDragon 04-10-2013 09:41 AM

I know, all these great new sci-fi movies I want to see, and yet I have to put them all on the Netflix queue because I can't go to the theater with a 2 year old. Which means Hollywood won't understand that I want to support these films.

Guys, please see all these new sci-fi movies this in theaters to make up for my absence.

I suppose we have JJ Abrams and Star Trek to thank for this renaissance.

Sammael 04-10-2013 09:51 AM

I kind of miss the sci-fi that we used to have. I feel like sci-fi tends to try and wow with visuals now, instead of with ideas. District 9 had a very good story with great action. Brought up questions of morality, racism, etc.
I hope this is as thought provoking.

Primus 04-10-2013 10:45 AM

I thought District 9 was beyoind stupid, with its magic black goo that does eveyrthing without explaination or purpose (very similar to another recently terrible sci-fi flick!). It looked good and that was about it. Damon does put in some good will for me though, as he has a pretty good track record, but with it being penned by Blomkamp I am keeping my expectations low until he proves otherwise.

bean19 04-10-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammael (Post 2201884)
I kind of miss the sci-fi that we used to have. I feel like sci-fi tends to try and wow with visuals now, instead of with ideas. District 9 had a very good story with great action. Brought up questions of morality, racism, etc.
I hope this is as thought provoking.

You should watch "In Time" (good movie that I nearly didn't watch because of Justin Timberlake being the lead - figured he would play a character I couldn't like, but this movie turned me around about him). Also, you don't see the morality of different standards of healthcare based on income as a major theme in Elysium?

bub64882 04-10-2013 11:12 AM

Did they make a movie or a video game?

Ghostblaze 04-10-2013 11:22 AM

A rare thing for a trailer to entertain me.