Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   12 Minutes of Dark Souls II Gameplay Footage Coming Tomorrow (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189620)

randir14 04-09-2013 12:22 PM

12 Minutes of Dark Souls II Gameplay Footage Coming Tomorrow

IGN will be showing twelve minutes of Dark Souls II gameplay footage starting tomorrow at 12PM Pacific.

-edit- the footage is now available.

RocketMagnet 04-09-2013 12:48 PM

Hope they don't mess with the formula too much... just more Dark Souls please.

Syl 04-09-2013 01:01 PM

12 minute montage of player deaths. I would bet on it.

Agnostic Pope 04-09-2013 01:23 PM

Sequel or Prequel? I linked the fire goddamn it!

MADxMrMike 04-09-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketMagnet (Post 2201602)

This..

I would be happy if it was exactly the same as Dark Souls but with new gear and environments. I cant wait to see the footage.

Orphiuchus 04-09-2013 01:54 PM

My body is ready.

Agnostic Pope 04-09-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2201627)
My body is ready.

http://i.imgur.com/yEa1qeL.gif

Metal Khaos 04-09-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2201616)
Sequel or Prequel? I linked the fire goddamn it!

That's going to be the interesting thing to see. They talked about many other lands aside of Lordran. Which is also in its own little world of distorted time.

I don't care either way, own it on xbox and PC. Should get around to playing Demon Souls though while it's on PS+ this month.

randir14 04-09-2013 03:17 PM

According to this it's a direct sequel and doesn't take place in Lordran:
http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/15/dark...not-make-2013/

Agnostic Pope 04-09-2013 03:56 PM

Interesting. As long as it they make it harder... I'll play it.

Orphiuchus 04-09-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randir14 (Post 2201657)
According to this it's a direct sequel and doesn't take place in Lordran:
http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/15/dark...not-make-2013/

That article scares me. A lot.

"Enhance the games action"? WTF? The gameplay in Dark Souls was nearly perfect, if they go over the top like most japanese action games I'll be fucking livid.

bean19 04-09-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketMagnet (Post 2201602)

I disagree. This IP has a ton of potential for improvement. They need to keep the core the same (high difficulty, deadly monsters and traps), but they could do all kinds of things to improve it like giving it a good story, making character development more meaningful and actually allowing different styles of play than parry->counter over and over, adding varied puzzles, cleaning up the UI both cosmetically and for usability.

Agnostic Pope 04-09-2013 04:44 PM

Fuck the story I just want to beat a hard well made game. More than 99% of the time when a game goes for a "great story" we end up with some half baked game with "alright" gameplay is forgiven because of the white knights claiming the story is the greatest thing since tits.

bean19 04-09-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2201683)
Fuck the story I just want to beat a hard well made game. More than 99% of the time when a game goes for a "great story" we end up with some half baked game with "alright" gameplay is forgiven because of the white knights claiming the story is the greatest thing since tits.

Would you say that if they actually hired a writer that understands story construction and created a game that had both a great story and the cool multiplayer and the high-challenge combat/puzzle gameplay that the series is known for?

There isn't any reason why they couldn't do both - unless you are one of those people who think the Japanese are incapable of creating games with good stories - something I disagree with though I've learned enough about their culture to know that often what we think of just quirky and from another culture is just plain strange, poorly written dreck. They do have good writers in manga, anime, and even in games, but they suffer from the same problem our game industry suffers from - the people making the design decisions often DON'T have a background in writing. They are experts at making fun gameplay, writing code, and managing art teams. Often the advice in greenlight pitches is to just quickly summarize the story because it's "not important".

I can't say that they have the same issues in Japan, but I suspect that they do based on their work product. Then again, we also get games like Okami, Persona 4, Zelda:OoT, and MGS from them (among many other well-written games. . . but those games also succeed as much on their gameplay as they do story. . . and honestly, I think MGS is a mix of great story construction and terrible, sophomoric ideas, but others disagree.

inscribed 04-09-2013 05:04 PM

Dark Souls already had a great story, the game just didn't beat you over the head with it. Subtlety is undervalued in today's games... I'm hoping Dark Souls II doesn't change much of the formula.

Ravijn 04-09-2013 05:11 PM

Improved and steady frame rate, please!

Agnostic Pope 04-09-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean19 (Post 2201687)
There isn't any reason why they couldn't do both

More than always (including the titles you named) the story becomes the game and the gameplay comes second...if we are lucky. History doesn't lie. When you are shooting for everything you are pampering to many audiences and in the end you do nothing amazing just okay/passable gameplay, meh story and generic music. Look at the best "stories" games such as RDR and Max Payne. One is a simplistic wild west game where you can "explore" and kill things over and over but after you beat the story and meet the characters (that is the full experience) the game dies for you. Max Payne is even worst. The first time you play it you keep on playing it because of the narrative and the story but after you have done all that you simply never touch it again. Dark Souls ignored a story altogether (there wasn't one and it was quite contradicting IMO) and it's very core was grinding/gameplay and the illusion of freedom/challenge. Which is why many people played it many times over at harder dif. (that and trolling pvp)

@Ravijin

Oh right. Frame rate hell happened on the console versions. (360 was the worst) Hopefully this "next" gen will remedy that.

bean19 04-09-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2201695)
Look at the best "stories" games such as RDR and Max Payne.

I would say Borderlands 2 is a winner in story and story-telling while having excellent gameplay. Uncharted also has both great story and gameplay. You must not like RPGs, but I think Oblivion, Persona 4, Mass Effect 3, Fallout 3, and FF X all deliver great story and gameplay. Half-Life, Half-Life 2, etc. etc. While we can subjectively say we didn't like X or Y game, the truth is that there are plenty of games that deliver excellent story while also delivering great gameplay.

It's not an either/or scenario and I think developers are short-sighted if they say they should narrow their focus on gameplay or story instead of trying to do both well. This is the era of AAA or die budgets where selling less than 2 million worldwide is considered a poor return-on-investment (if not necessarily a loss).

Agnostic Pope 04-09-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean19 (Post 2201706)
I would say Borderlands 2 is a winner in story and story-telling while having excellent gameplay. Uncharted also has both great story and gameplay. You must not like RPGs, but I think Oblivion, Persona 4, Mass Effect 3, Fallout 3, and FF X all deliver great story and gameplay. Half-Life, Half-Life 2, etc. etc. While we can subjectively say we didn't like X or Y game, the truth is that there are plenty of games that deliver excellent story while also delivering great gameplay.

Umm...BL2 story was shit and the gameplay was only tolerable with friends. Without them the world felt boring and highly repetitive. Uncharted is a bland linear shooter with 5 billion oh shit moments and a parkour sim. It is basicly a interactive movie. The new TR is a way better example but even then gameplay chars>story.

I like good RPG's. Oblivion was the weakest of TES series. So was FF X. (FF series) The gameplay in these games wasn't all that great either. ME2 was barebones strategy/shooter and Fallout 3 was a headshot simulator. These games were great because of the characters/story/setting, Thank you for proving my point.

Mazzicc 04-09-2013 09:07 PM

This is not news post worthy. The release of 12 minutes of footage TOMORROW *is*.

/grumble...I hate announcements about announcements