Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dead Space 4 Has Been Cancelled (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187672)

Suicidal ShiZuru 03-05-2013 04:11 AM

Dead Space 4 Has Been Cancelled

Videogamer.com is reporting that EA has cancelled development of Dead Space 4. This is rather shocking but after not reaching the touted marker of five million units in sales I suppose it should have been expected from the likes of such a publisher.

Quote:

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source familiar with the unannounced project told VideoGamer.com that Dead Space 4 had been in pre-production at Visceral Games, with a small team at Visceral Montreal allegedly tasked with developing prototypes and mock-ups for the title, and collaborating on ideas for the game's narrative.

However, the project was cancelled after Dead Space 3 failed to meet its sales targets, our source claims, telling us that EA executives visited Visceral Montreal last month to inform staff that the project had been terminated and announce details of the company's restructuring.
Hopefully this may enlighten some at EA to the damage they do when clawing away at formerly good publishers and letting their talons sink deeper and deeper into a good IP until it bleeds out in a slow and agonizing death.

Evil Avatar 03-05-2013 06:32 AM

Hey, EA, that decision to make it into more of an action title and less of a horror title is sure looking like a good call right now, eh?

Taiso 03-05-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2191982)
Hey, EA, that decision to make it into more of an action title and less of a horror title is sure looking like a good call right now, eh?

This thread is already over. Thanks for spoiling everyone else's fun, EvAv.

AspectVoid 03-05-2013 06:41 AM

To be honest, I'm fine with it being killed. These days, I'm finding sequelities to be a disease in the industry. I would say turn an IP into no more than a trilogy and then kill it and make something new. And yes, that even includes franchises that I love.

steved 03-05-2013 06:42 AM

Have you actually played it, Evil? There's still enough horror in it for my taste, thou it's probably a bit too easy (my inventory is overflowing with medkits, maybe I should have started at a higher difficulty level).

The beginning isn't very good, but it gets back to quality once you actually reach space. The ice planet is also great, a very welcome change, and captures the mood of The Thing very well. Introducing the stupid love triangle story arc didn't help thou.

Jotoco 03-05-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2191982)

Sad thing is that the big guys making the calls will never know this. And if they know this, they will never believe it was their fault. They will close the studio and do this to the next big IP they buy. AND still be receiving millions in bonus.

Evil Avatar 03-05-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved (Post 2191986)
Have you actually played it, Evil? There's still enough horror in it for my taste, thou it's probably a bit too easy (my inventory is overflowing with medkits, maybe I should have started at a higher difficulty level).

I'm not that far into it. I'm finding the crafting system to be a chore and while they ramped up the difficulty on some of the enemies, it seems like it is still an easier game on the highest difficulty level than it was on the medium difficulty level in Dead Space 2.

The biggest flaw so far seems to be that the studio wasted resources on a whole co-op campaign that I'll never see.

Plus, I noticed right away that I didn't have one of the items I needed to open a door in a side quest and once I got that item it wouldn't let me go back to the side quest. WTF?

It isn't a bad title at all, but if it is getting average scores from most gamers and selling poorly they must have done something wrong.

Evil Avatar 03-05-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jotoco (Post 2191989)
Sad thing is that the big guys making the calls will never know this. And if they know this, they will never believe it was their fault. They will close the studio and do this to the next big IP they buy. AND still be receiving millions in bonus.

It's Mirror's Edge all over again. If DICE wasn't the developer of the Battlefield franchise, they would have been closed too.

DeadPixel 03-05-2013 07:23 AM

I would have purchased it had it come out on Steam, but what's one extra sale to EA?

PSPfreak 03-05-2013 07:32 AM

Oh, please. Bitching about the "switch to action?" Really? DS is still an outstanding series that somehow doesn't sell much but yet the newest COD always sells millions upon millions. It really does make me sick.

Sammael 03-05-2013 07:32 AM

So, the rotted corpse of Dead Space gets tossed into the corner and EA looks for another IP to run through the ringer. Surprise, surprise. The 1st one was the best. I loved that there was a fresh feeling game from EA a few years ago...

Azrael 03-05-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPixel (Post 2192001)
I would have purchased it had it come out on Steam, but what's one extra sale to EA?

Make that 2 extra sales, got Dead Space 1 & Dead Space 2 but now i'll never buy Dead Space 3

divinechaos 03-05-2013 07:39 AM

vallor 03-05-2013 07:47 AM

Too sad. Unfortunately its not good enough any more to sell 1 or 2 million units. If it isn't 3+ the publishers feel they are wasting their time.

I didn't buy DS3, even though I loved DS1 and liked DS2 mainly because I didn't like what I'd heard about the changes.

I also thought their marketing was bunk. If you want to sell 5m+ units you need better than a few making of or trailers, a couple commercials, some banner ads, and a few print ads. If I had to guess these guys maybe got $10m-$15m in marketing, which is kinda shitty for a game with that ambitious a forecast. That tells me a little about how little faith they had the game would make that forecast from the beginning; no commitment to actually make the franchise resonate.

Anyway, I'm sad to see it go. As someone above mentioned one of the real tragedies that the people that need to be punished for this failure (mainly the executives that mandated the changes and then withheld appropriate marketing dollars) won't be... only the guys at the studio level are going to feel the repercussions.

EL CABONG 03-05-2013 07:52 AM

3 is enough DS games for awhile. Maybe in 4 or 5 years bring it back.

Ozena 03-05-2013 07:53 AM

So just like that the series is dead? And EA kills Visceral over it, too.

Hopefully we see some decent expanded games or side stories . . . EA might have killed it off, but Dead Space as a sci-fi franchise has a very interesting universe

Ozena 03-05-2013 07:55 AM

Sorry for the double post, but speaking of Visceral being re-structured . . . I guess Army of Two: Devil's Cartel is their last game. Or will EA do something with that, as well?

automaton 03-05-2013 08:02 AM

I did my part in buying the game, but I can't speak to quality as I haven't started it yet. I'm a little miffed they barely gave the game a month and decide it's not worth continuing the franchise. I'm not entirely sad to hear this though as I feel 3 games in a series is enough. Time for something new. I hope Visceral get that opportunity and the rumors of lay-off don't pan out to be true. They are obviously a very good development house.

MADxMrMike 03-05-2013 08:04 AM

This is probably not entirely true. More then likely they will do research on how to make it better for consumers. Maybe a reboot or something. Different story and gameplay. I mean its a pretty established name. They wouldn't waste that.

Raw 03-05-2013 08:08 AM

This is great news. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER DEAD SPACE. Dead Space 3 almost killed the franchise. We don't want another Resident Evil.

As Dead Space is my favorite IP this generation, I would rather see it die with dignity than fall on its face like RE.