Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crowdfunding Begins on March 6th for Torment: Tides of Numenera (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187650)

Emabulator 03-04-2013 03:30 PM

Crowdfunding Begins on March 6th for Torment: Tides of Numenera

VentureBeat has word that InXile Entertainment is set to launch a crowdfunding campaign for Torment: Tides of Numenera, a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, on March 6th.

Quote:

InXile Entertainment is launching a new crowdfunding campaign to raise at least $1 million to bring back an old franchise as a reinvented role-playing experience in the form of Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Brian Fargo, chief executive of InXile, can’t get enough of Kickstarter. Last year, his game studio successfully raised more than $2.9 million to fund a revival of his classic game Wasteland. But before Wasteland 2 is even done, Fargo is going back to Kickstarter to raise money for another project.

Fargo said in an interview with GamesBeat that he is abandoning the traditional publisher-developer business model. He will raise all of his money via crowdfunding, and that means he has to get the Torment team rolling so that it can go into full production once the Wasteland 2 group finishes its work. Hence, Fargo is double-dipping with Kickstarter.

“I am 100 percent in the hands of our crowd,” Fargo said. “They are our publisher.”

Wasteland 2 should launch in October of this year, and Torment will have a launch date in 2014. Most of the funding will go toward hiring concept artists and game designers, including many who worked on the original title, named Planescape: Torment, developed by Black Isle Studios and published by Interplay Entertainment in 1999. The new title isn’t a sequel per se since that story is complete, so its characters will not return. Rather, the new Torment will be a role-playing game that delivers the same kind of experience and feeling that Planescape: Torment evoked. This is part necessity since InXile does not own the original title’s intellectual property.

randir14 03-04-2013 03:36 PM

Seems pretty early to be taking on another Kickstarter when they haven't even finished Wasteland 2. I guess they're hoping to strike while the iron is hot, before Kickstarter loses its luster.

EL CABONG 03-04-2013 05:22 PM

Might back this. 1 million is kinda high. Not sure if it will fund.

vallor 03-04-2013 06:10 PM

This may be too close to the heels of Wasteland 2 for me. I want to see what they actually release before getting into a pattern of funding their next game before I see how the previous one turns out.

brandonjclark 03-04-2013 06:19 PM

I want to see Wasteland 2 end up as a good game before throwing any money down. He knows this and is preparing (smartly) for less than stellar sales by starting a new project.

With no publisher to worry about keeping happy he might get away with it.

Syl 03-04-2013 06:20 PM

Yeah, i'm also going to wait till wasteland 2 before i put money on this.

Azriel77 03-04-2013 06:41 PM

I will back it just because I want more RPG's and none of the big names are doing it unless it is an MMO or an action game with some rpg elements. I am not happy they are slapping the name torment which is well known tied to planescape torment, to a game that has nothing to do with the setting. It is bullshit marketing 101 bait and switch, to sucker people who loved PST to try something that has no connection. And don't give me that bullshit about spiritual successor, that is just buzzwords AGAIN to sucker you to play something with no connection. I would have had more respect if it did not use these tactics and just said it was a brand new IP. Like, I said, I will support this, mainly because I watched the demo of wasteland 2 and did like what I see. However, do not expect to support another game after this until W2 is out the door. 1 million is pushing it though.

randir14 03-04-2013 09:43 PM

I don't think 1 million is a big goal. Wasteland 2 started out needing 900,000 and they earned over 3 million. Project Eternity's goal was 1.1 million and they far surpassed that.

brandonjclark 03-04-2013 09:49 PM

Star Citizen is over 8 million!

Elysium 03-05-2013 12:04 AM

While I'm sure many many people can't wait for a Torment sequel, me included, you also have to consider that there is now a general Kickstarter fatigue amongst gamers.

It also reaks of desperation in trying to get this out before the Kickstarter craze goes away, and perhaps to one-up Project Eternity's record pledges. They haven't even proven themselves with their first Kickstarter project yet FFS.

MADxMrMike 03-05-2013 07:10 AM

I think I am confusing my creators and games here. Didn't Project Eternity talk about how it was from the makers of PST too? Or was it just Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale? So now these guys are also using PST for a pitch?

Its ballsy this move. I mean they really should get the first game out but I guess why not right? I mean go for it and if they get it good... if not oh well.

EL CABONG 03-05-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjclark (Post 2191927)
Star Citizen is over 8 million!

It did not get 8 millon during its KS.

vallor 03-05-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADxMrMike (Post 2191997)
I think I am confusing my creators and games here. Didn't Project Eternity talk about how it was from the makers of PST too? Or was it just Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale? So now these guys are also using PST for a pitch?

Its ballsy this move. I mean they really should get the first game out but I guess why not right? I mean go for it and if they get it good... if not oh well.

Different company. InXile is Wasteland 2. Obsidian is Eternity.

But yes, they do seem to be muddying the waters, I think to do exactly what's happened to you: sow confusion. Or create a shared pool of credibility that both can dip into when they need their next game crowdfunded.

Between these two companies they employ lot of the people affiliated with those previous games and they seem to toss Chris Chris Avellone's name (the designer behind most of those classics, particularly Planescape) around interchangeability even though, I think, he works for Obsidian, not InXile who is trying to do this remake.

MADxMrMike 03-05-2013 08:02 AM

Well either way I want these types of games so I will hand out 20 or 30 bucks. I can blow it on worse that's for sure. Still its confusing.

lockwoodx 03-05-2013 09:04 AM

You have a positive, growing studio full of veteran developers who are right now on the biggest creative high of their lives. This is something I'd consider investing in regardless of hype/hate because this man is going to produce some crazy good shit if the support continues. He's not just jumping back into games, he's catching up on unfulfilled dreams.

Strike while the iron is hot.