Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jason West Leaves Respawn (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187588)

SaintBlitzkrieg 03-03-2013 08:02 PM

Jason West Leaves Respawn

Jason West, one of the co-founders of Respawn, and the co-creater of the highly popular game Call of Duty has left his new founded studio.

Quote:

Jason West, a co-creator of Call of Duty and co-founder of video game studio Respawn Entertainment, has left the company he helped found, two sources have informed Kotaku. The departure was amicable.

West, who left because of family issues, has been gone since last May, according to one reliable source who asked not to be named.

West, along with fellow Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella, helped found the studio Infinity Ward back in 2002. As a subsidiary of Activision, Infinity Ward turned their first-person shooter series Call of Duty into a worldwide phenomenon. West and Zampella were fired from the studio in 2010.
Via Kotaku

Agnostic Pope 03-03-2013 08:34 PM

WTF this is horrible! We need to put more shooters out there so that ppl will get burned out and start demanding quality titles!

Anenome 03-03-2013 09:33 PM

Wonder what really happened? Was he cheating on his wife or something?

sai tyrus 03-04-2013 02:50 AM

That was unexpected.

Meusli 03-04-2013 03:40 AM

Eek, that is not good. Why would he form his own studio and leave a sure thing, he probably realised that leaving Activision for EA was a dumb move.

Capt_Thad 03-04-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2191608)
Eek, that is not good. Why would he form his own studio and leave a sure thing, he probably realised that leaving Activision for EA was a dumb move.

heh Pretty sure the guy isn't hard up for money. Article says he wasn't involved in the development of the new title, and has been 'gone' since the lawsuit was settled. Seems like he's just making an unofficial status more official. Hopefully he just needed a break and it's not like a family member with cancer or something.

Phoenix1985 03-04-2013 04:48 AM

Might just be burned out on the process of making games, and it really was affecting his family. Might be entirely personal and not really in most any way involving us.

SaintBlitzkrieg 03-04-2013 06:26 AM

Or it could be that, the money he won and had was all spent on the development of the studio and game and now they are broke, and the woman is pissed and is threatening to leave.

Meusli 03-04-2013 06:49 AM

[QUOTE=Capt_Thad;2191618 Article says he wasn't involved in the development of the new title, and has been 'gone' since the lawsuit was settled. [/QUOTE]

Or he stayed/hid behind EA so they could pay for the court case.

Rommel 03-04-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2191550)
Wonder what really happened? Was he cheating on his wife or something?

I have been cheating on his wife, I imagine that could be traumatic.

vallor 03-04-2013 09:16 AM

I suspect it's more of the "Fuck it, I quit" syndrome that often impacts people with a few hundred million dollars in the bank. I don't blame him and and jealous to my bones! "Family" is just an excuse to make it seem like he isn't calling in rich (which would... annoy some people. Dunno why but someone somewhere would be pissed).

He probably had some minimum contract to fulfill with EA and that's the only reason he hadn't left before now.

3Suns 03-04-2013 12:25 PM

Mr. West's personal life aside, this announcement makes me laugh. EA went to all that trouble and ended up with just so much air. In the end, Respawn Studios may prove to be no more productive than Microsoft's Rare.

Also, good point about the lawyer, Meusli.

SaintBlitzkrieg 03-04-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Suns (Post 2191785)
Mr. West's personal life aside, this announcement makes me laugh. EA went to all that trouble and ended up with just so much air. In the end, Respawn Studios may prove to be no more productive than Microsoft's Rare.

Also, good point about the lawyer, Meusli.

Hard to compare the two when Microsoft bought them for exactly what they did. Not so much to make games but to produce simple products like their avatars they created.

Claus DuBois 03-04-2013 02:34 PM

gone since last May??? so at least they keep secrets really really well.

davidj.dk 03-04-2013 02:52 PM

and tell me again.. why do i care?