Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Star Trek: The Video Game Preview (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187578)

Emabulator 03-03-2013 12:09 PM

Star Trek: The Video Game Preview

GamesRadar has posted a preview of Digital Extremes' upcoming action game, Star Trek: The Video Game.

Quote:

The game adopts the now-staple over-the-shoulder approach. Considering Namco-Bandai is publishing the game, it was refreshing to hear Senior Vice President of Paramount Pictures, Brian Miller, name non-Namco titles as the teamís favourites, including Mass Effect and Uncharted. Of course, he also stressed that no single game has been copied directly, but that heís a gamer and knows which games he should be influenced by.

Star Trek certainly has elements of those two games. There's a snap-to-cover system which we used to cross the outside of a ship whose heat shield is failing in the face of a looming sun. Standing up during the blasts sees firey trails blazing around your characterís profile, although the game seems much more forgiving in practice than the preceding cutscene would suggest. We stayed in the flames for ages and still lived to tell the tale, which diminished the drama more than a little.

sai tyrus 03-03-2013 01:54 PM

Twenty bucks says the guy on the right won't make it. :D

ldi222 03-03-2013 03:27 PM

That article spoils the $*** out of one of co ops biggest surprises.

Agnostic Pope 03-03-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sai tyrus (Post 2191486)
Twenty bucks says the guy on the right won't make it. :D

Mav 03-03-2013 06:07 PM

Evil Avatar 03-03-2013 06:29 PM

This is a game almost totally hyped by advertising money. The game has looked like complete and total crap from the day it was announced and all the big corporate sites were going crazy about how awesome it looked.

Um... no. Just no.

Watch for all the 8+ reviews to come out when the game is launched from the corporate sites and all the 0 to 4 star reviews from the real gamers.

dirtbag 03-03-2013 08:35 PM

He'll, I'd be happy if they updated the classic 25th Anniversary game from the '90s - the red-shirt yelling "look out, captain!" before getting disintegrated/crushed/incinerated was totally awesome.

lockwoodx 03-03-2013 11:41 PM

The new Kirk and Spock need to get a room already.

LoTECH 03-04-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2191522)
This is a game almost totally hyped by advertising money. The game has looked like complete and total crap from the day it was announced and all the big corporate sites were going crazy about how awesome it looked.

Um... no. Just no.

Watch for all the 8+ reviews to come out when the game is launched from the corporate sites and all the 0 to 4 star reviews from the real gamers.

I don't know, man. I thought it looked like a work in progress from the only video I'd seen of it in motion. Most of the screenshots that appeared after that made it look pretty good.

I'm not saying its gonna break the "licensed game" rule of Crap, but I think it looks a bit better than the average junk. A good space-shooter with fun set pieces and characters I like is worth something.

Mix-Master 03-04-2013 01:56 AM

What would my world be without some form of star-trek. Hope this comes out ok. And yes sai tyrus the one quantifiable fact is the first person to always get it will always be the unknown character who got his 1st away mission finally, Only to be either shot, stabbed, eaten, impregnated, duplicated or turned into some gelatinous liquid. :)