Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lord British Presents (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187531)

Evil Avatar 03-01-2013 12:57 PM

Lord British Presents
 

In the spirit of pissing on your childhood memories, we present http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/ which consists of a countdown clock and an Spam-mail signup thing.

Nothing Richard Garriott touches could ever be good, lets hope he isn't involved with this.

Phoenix1985 03-01-2013 01:14 PM

Since he's using the name Lord British, I'm guessing another RPG or fantasy setting of some sort. Tabula Rasa, while not really of interest to me, eventually turned somewhat palatable to the people I remember talking about it with, but I still hope it isn't an online venture unless they're releasing something like Ultima Online 2.

Demo_Boy 03-01-2013 01:22 PM

hey I like presents. I wonder what hes giving away.

Maybe his used underwear to each signup.

Evil Avatar 03-01-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 (Post 2191197)
Tabula Rasa, while not really of interest to me, eventually turned somewhat palatable to the people I remember talking about it with, but I still hope it isn't an online venture unless they're releasing something like Ultima Online 2.

Tabula Rasa went out of business in like 60 days. 'nuff said.

It is worth mentioning that Gamespy gave the game 4 out of 5. Good riddance to bad rubbish that store-bought corporate sites like Gamespy are going out of business.

Mr. Lake 03-01-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2191203)
Tabula Rasa went out of business in like 60 days. 'nuff said.

It is worth mentioning that Gamespy gave the game 4 out of 5. Good riddance to bad rubbish that store-bought corporate sites like Gamespy are going out of business.

Hey now, Gamespy and the "planet" sites were pretty good before IGN took over. At the very least they had awesome parties.

Mr. Lake 03-01-2013 02:06 PM

Also, I hate admitting this... as most of us designers get older, we don't tend to make things as awesome as when we were younger. Call it an inability to evolve, a failure to read the market, or the loss of understanding to innovate on fun activities for a younger audience. Even I sometimes feel like I'm starting to lose my edge, and it's rare that designers get better after a certain generation - some do, most don't. Garriot is OLD, and while Ultima has its place in history it wasn't great to begin with.

Evil Avatar 03-01-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Lake (Post 2191211)
Hey now, Gamespy and the "planet" sites were pretty good before IGN took over. At the very least they had awesome parties.

I think my point is still valid, the game was shit and it failed fairly quickly and the big corporate sites keep feeding us 8, 9 and 10 out of 10 reviews for crap that the second consumers get their hands on it we find out it's shit.

ie, Tomb Raider.

I will not miss more spoon-fed reviews purchased with advertising dollars.

Mav 03-01-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2191191)

Nothing Richard Garriott touches could ever be good, lets hope he isn't involved with this.

Ultima Online (prior to some of it's later expansions nerfing the hell out of it's pvp) was pretty damn epic back in the day :)

julienb01 03-01-2013 02:40 PM

Man you can say what you want on the failures of Richard Garriott the truth is he's made the best RPG ever with Ultima 7 that is yet to be matched 20 years later in term of simulating a real living world and he simply created the best MMO with Ultima Online, an experience that will never exist again in today market. Now say what you want, this man is in the Hall of Fame as a pionneer what ever has happened next.

lockwoodx 03-01-2013 02:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/63Vjz9Y.jpg

DeluxE 03-01-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Lake (Post 2191212)
Garriot is OLD, and while Ultima has its place in history it wasn't great to begin with.

Too funny!

So the fact that these games were essentially the FIRST open world RPGs, and introduced most of the staples of the genre is completely lost on you?

Even in Japan this guy is considered the originator of computer/video RPGs, so much so that Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior et al were largely inspired by the success of the early Ultima games in that country.

Dude, from one game designer to another, you seriously need to respect your elders.

Kreigmstr 03-01-2013 03:11 PM

The level of detail in Ultima 4 was amazing for it's time. If had not been introduced to it I would have never became a PC gamer.

walstib 03-01-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julienb01 (Post 2191225)
Man you can say what you want on the failures of Richard Garriott the truth is he's made the best RPG ever with Ultima 7 that is yet to be matched 20 years later in term of simulating a real living world and he simply created the best MMO with Ultima Online, an experience that will never exist again in today market. Now say what you want, this man is in the Hall of Fame as a pionneer what ever has happened next.

Ultima 7, 7.5, and 4 are three of the best classic rpg games i have ever had the pleasure of playing.

The rest are a mix bag but those three are simply amazing for their time.

I miss my old 800XL.

dirtbag 03-01-2013 06:18 PM

I suspect Lord British plans to send cock-pics to our inner children . . .

wunshot 03-01-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julienb01 (Post 2191225)
Man you can say what you want on the failures of Richard Garriott the truth is he's made the best RPG ever with Ultima 7 that is yet to be matched 20 years later in term of simulating a real living world and he simply created the best MMO with Ultima Online, an experience that will never exist again in today market. Now say what you want, this man is in the Hall of Fame as a pionneer what ever has happened next.

I completely agree. UO during launch was fucking insanity! I remember selling scrolls for like 12 hours straight porting from town to town. Finally my buddy was like "will you please go fucking kill something??!?!?!", so I grabbed 15 other newbs I found wandering around the countryside and we eventually had some other newb show us a "dungeon". More like a cave since we walked in and a 30 foot giant spider ate all of us for dinner.
That game, the pvp, its sandbox nature, and all of the unknown elements were EPIC!

Oh and Ultima IV was pretty dope for a 12 year old too. :)

Evil_SPanKY 03-01-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2191280)
I completely agree. UO during launch was fucking insanity! I remember selling scrolls for like 12 hours straight porting from town to town. Finally my buddy was like "will you please go fucking kill something??!?!?!", so I grabbed 15 other newbs I found wandering around the countryside and we eventually had some other newb show us a "dungeon". More like a cave since we walked in and a 30 foot giant spider ate all of us for dinner.

LOL, I was probably in that party of n00bs getting eaten by giant spiders casting fireball and that bolt spell (cant remember its name now/not lightning)!

Ravijn 03-01-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunshot (Post 2191280)
I completely agree. UO during launch was fucking insanity! I remember selling scrolls for like 12 hours straight porting from town to town. Finally my buddy was like "will you please go fucking kill something??!?!?!", so I grabbed 15 other newbs I found wandering around the countryside and we eventually had some other newb show us a "dungeon". More like a cave since we walked in and a 30 foot giant spider ate all of us for dinner.
That game, the pvp, its sandbox nature, and all of the unknown elements were EPIC!

Oh and Ultima IV was pretty dope for a 12 year old too. :)

I remember going to a hedge maze dungeon and getting extorted by the 'Banana Brothers'. They were players dressed all in yellow outfits. They would root you in place and demand money or they would kill you. Fun times.

Evil Avatar 03-01-2013 07:52 PM

UO was fantastic in the beginning and the more they worked on it the worse it got. I'm not sure I see any reason to give Lord British any credit. Like all developers he is only as good as his last game and his last game sucked.

Azzy 03-01-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2191296)
UO was fantastic in the beginning and the more they worked on it the worse it got. I'm not sure I see any reason to give Lord British any credit.

except for that first part? /logic boggle

ElektroDragon 03-01-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2191191)

Nothing Richard Garriott touches could ever be good.

You forgot the key word, "anymore" after touches.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.