Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cliff Bleszinski Thinks Games Have Become Too Easy (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172649)

randir14 06-21-2012 01:09 PM

Cliff Bleszinski Thinks Games Have Become Too Easy

In an interview with Xbox 360 Achievements, Cliff Bleszinski states his belief that games have become too linear and easy.

Quote:

“It feels like in this current console generation that we’ve taken a lot of steps to grow the audience and what I think’s happened is that the games have become more linear and easier, so it feels like a lot of quick-time-events,” said Bleszinski.

“The more I play games like that the more I turned off to them and just want to get back to systems interacting with systems, and get back to a game that, you know, when was the last time a game really challenged you and asked something of you, right? There’s a reason why Demon Souls and Dark Souls have taken off lately. It’s because they really require you actually try.”
Read more

lockwoodx 06-21-2012 01:22 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IAmhV3qxh3...ingOutSign.jpg

HB_IKE 06-21-2012 01:43 PM

Ooooo ... this guy is a genious, now complain how the games are shorter as well and we got a discussion =P

TUT 06-21-2012 02:04 PM

Dude just figured that out? And he's an industry leader? No wonder it happened, he couldn't handle hard games.

Zurik 06-21-2012 02:05 PM

I don't feel like games are easier, just becoming all the same by playing copy the leader.

Meusli 06-21-2012 02:21 PM

Says one of the gentleman who is responsible for this state of affairs. I mean it's his engine that powers up to 80% of the games this generation and basically told PC gamers to give up and go console...

abso 06-21-2012 02:22 PM

Why the fuck should I listen to one of the guys that helped make it this way?

Dag-Sabot 06-21-2012 02:54 PM

I dont ever recall ever taking anything he said ...or later did seriously.

Anenome 06-21-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meusli (Post 2130903)
Says one of the gentleman who is responsible for this state of affairs. I mean it's his engine that powers up to 80% of the games this generation and basically told PC gamers to give up and go console...

Exactly. What a *expletive*.

MADxMrMike 06-21-2012 03:03 PM

HAHAHAHAHAH!!

The whole time I read it I thought of him developing he Gears games....

Anyway so Cliffy B thinks that the Japaneses are on to something....again. Who would have thought.

vallor 06-21-2012 03:14 PM

Making games harder in the vein of Dark Souls will begin to alienate more casual gamers. Those that actually want to be successful without pounding their balls with a sledgehammer to progress in a game.

More difficult games may as well hand the next gen over to Wii-U sports. There is a reason people want a cinematic/entertainment mode, they don't want to deal with the difficulty. If you want hard play Inferno or Insane, but don't make them harder by default, especially since designers don't have the ability to make something harder creatively. It's all just "Raise the monster HP, lower the player HP, lower the player armor, make more monsters attack at once, DERP DERP".

At least Dark Souls tried to be creative (though I'd argue it failed there more often then not). For example: you should have been able to avoid the banshees and lived on the edge in their area instead of basically instantly dying if you were able to get into the area at any depth (I got into the tower once before I'd unlocked the area, it was a rush until I realized they're were more in there and I may as well just stand and die, there was no escape).

Pluvious 06-21-2012 04:05 PM

Back in my day.. they had this thing called "Easy, Medium and Hard. Let's just stick with that mkaay?? Douche.

ElektroDragon 06-21-2012 04:14 PM

He's a fool. Most games have actually become WAY too hard. What's worse, thanks to Achievements/Trophies, most gamers are now forced to play them on Hard mode. They become more work than fun.

The only real "easy" games left are Bethesda RPGs and obvious kids games (usually movie tie-ins).

Major Scud 06-21-2012 05:49 PM

I personally don't have time to get frustrated with a games difficulty. Call me not "hardcore" if you want, but I own every console, a gaming PC, and a gaming laptop. If a game has difficulty settings I'll usually try normal, if its too easy or too hard I adjust. I play games as an escape, not to toss my controller at my TV.

PSPfreak 06-21-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurik (Post 2130900)
I don't feel like games are easier, just becoming all the same by playing copy the leader.

I don't know where this generic, mindless drivel comes from. Like games weren't "becoming all the same" back in the 80's and 90's? Give me a break.

shadow763 06-21-2012 07:57 PM

This thread is full of comments I love.

Orphiuchus 06-21-2012 08:06 PM

All of these developers have forgotten what "difficult" means.

Good difficulty allows creativity and isn't over tuned.

Dark Souls is the perfect example of a company doing it right, and Diablo 3 is the perfect example of a company doing it wrong.

drakkarim 06-21-2012 08:57 PM

that's just plain stupid, to me. i play to unwind/relax. if i want challenge/reward, i go to work, which pays ME to deal with challenge.

if you want me to to pay YOU for work, you can kiss my fracking ass, that's for sheep.

ElektroDragon 06-21-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakkarim (Post 2131027)
that's just plain stupid, to me. i play to unwind/relax. if i want challenge/reward, i go to work, which pays ME to deal with challenge.

if you want me to to pay YOU for work, you can kiss my fracking ass, that's for sheep.

So very VERY true. And feeling like I want to smash my controller against my TV, replaying the same section over and over (aka Dark Souls) is not what I call unwinding or relaxing. The rewards are there nowadays (aka trophies/achievements), but the challenges are insane. Has anyone tried playing Max Payne 3 on Hard, let alone the "harder than Hard" modes? :eek::eek::eek:

ElektroDragon 06-21-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2131016)
Dark Souls is the perfect example of a company doing it right

No, the Uncharted series and Naughty Dog is a perfect example of a company tuning difficulty perfectly.

Dark Souls is just constant rage quit for 90% of longtime gamers, and an orgasm for the 10% of masochist gamers or those with some form of genius gaming intelligence.

I mean look at me... straight A student, high GPA, but I still need to look at walkthroughs for boss battles in most games.

Dark Souls is perfect for the gamers who WRITE the walkthroughs for those boss battles.