Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tencent Acquires a Minority Stake in Epic Games, Inc (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172485)

vallor 06-19-2012 11:30 AM

Tencent Acquires a Minority Stake in Epic Games, Inc

It was announced today that the Chinese company "Tencent" would be acquiring a minority stake in Epic Games.

From gamesindustry.biz
Quote:

Chinese internet and mobile operator Tencent has acquired a minority stake in Unreal Engine maker Epic Games.

Epic has said it will continue to operate independently and continue to expand its game franchise across multiple platforms. Terms of the deal were not disclosed and it is expected to close within one month.
This is the same company that has made investments in Crytek and Riot and, as the article mentions, eventually full out buying Riot for $400m after using the same tactic of minority investor. Any bets on how long it will be before Mark Rein and Mike Capps send out their retirement announcements?

lockwoodx 06-19-2012 02:01 PM

Asian companies buying American, one piece at a time.

Welcome to the genuine irony that is capitalism.

Meeks 06-19-2012 04:19 PM

"Tencent has joined foces with majority owner, hip-hop mogul Fifty Cent, to form interactive media conglomerate '60 Cent Games'. Pricing for the group's titles is yet to be determined."

gravlax 06-19-2012 04:49 PM

Riot(founded by mainly ex-Blizzard folks like how arena.net was formed and bought out by Asian company) was a start-up with not so much capital to begin with, where as Epic's been around and still 1 of the most successful independent studios. I don't see much similarity there or in Epic's future.

Samstag 06-19-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2130450)

Reminds me of the 80's, when Japanese companies were buying up every struggling American entertainment company and the end of the American Way was at hand.

Anenome 06-19-2012 05:39 PM

Almost guaranteed to be run by Chinese communist party members...

lockwoodx 06-19-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samstag (Post 2130494)
Reminds me of the 80's, when Japanese companies were buying up every struggling American entertainment company and the end of the American Way was at hand.

That thought had crossed my mind until you realize the Japanese wanted to be like us, not. Now if Tawain bought up all of our jobs and shit this would be a different story. It's a shame the brits had to give it back. :(

Samstag 06-19-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2130511)
That thought had crossed my mind until you realize the Japanese wanted to be like us, not. Now if Tawain bought up all of our jobs and shit this would be a different story. It's a shame the brits had to give it back. :(

You're thinking of Hong Kong, and that's a pretty good example of how Chinese ownership doesn't change capitalism. They understand it better than a lot of western countries (Hi Greece!) which is why they've left HK alone.

vallor 06-19-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravlax (Post 2130493)
Riot(founded by mainly ex-Blizzard folks like how arena.net was formed and bought out by Asian company) was a start-up with not so much capital to begin with, where as Epic's been around and still 1 of the most successful independent studios. I don't see much similarity there or in Epic's future.

BTW, Riot was doing plenty well before the investment; if they were "struggling" they wouldn't have warranted the $400m price tag. Besides, I'm not saying their failing at all, just that now Mark and Mike (and Tim) can take their big paychecks and never have to work again. As if that was a problem before, but now it's even LESS of a problem :)

greenapple 06-20-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2130450)

Either you don't understand "irony" or you don't understand "capitalism", maybe both.

There's nothing ironic about being bought out, by anyone, under a capitalist system. If you mean "company from a communist country", that might make a little bit more sense. But, everyone knows that China isn't a pure communist system (anymore than we are a pure capitalist system), as proven by the very existence of private companies like this one.

America does not own the concept of capitalism and being bought-out is one of the best ways to make a profit, which is at the heart of capitalism.

lockwoodx 06-20-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenapple (Post 2130603)
Either you don't understand "irony" or you don't understand "capitalism", maybe both.

There's nothing ironic about being bought out, by anyone, under a capitalist system. If you mean "company from a communist country", that might make a little bit more sense. But, everyone knows that China isn't a pure communist system (anymore than we are a pure capitalist system), as proven by the very existence of private companies like this one.

America does not own the concept of capitalism and being bought-out is one of the best ways to make a profit, which is at the heart of capitalism.

lawl

10chars