Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PC Gaming: E3's Dirty Little Secret (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171729)

randir14 06-07-2012 03:19 PM

PC Gaming: E3's Dirty Little Secret

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has an article about the number of multiplatform games at E3 being showcased on PCs.

Quote:

It’s a bit odd to cover E3 with a PC-focused slant. Initially, I felt horrifically out of place roaming the LA Convention Center’s banner-plastered halls. The Kratoses and Master Chiefs of the world leered at me from their billowing sky perches, and I longed for the warm embrace of, say, a game about embracing people – as Rambo. Xbox controllers and PlayStation pads contorted showgoers’ hands into unnatural, vice-like claws, and I could only grasp feebly for a mouse that failed to materialize.

But, after the initial explosion of senses-overwhelming glitz and glamour, I started taking stock of the show’s inner workings. And you know what? Turns out, this is a PC gaming event – perhaps moreso than anything else.

Did you know that nearly every multiplatform game demoed at E3 – especially during press conferences – is running on PC? I’ve asked, and so far, I’ve yet to get a “no.” Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Crysis 3, etc, etc. Here’s the weird thing, though: no one talks about it. Presenters mainly brandish Xbox pads as their weapons of choice, and viewers – unless gifted with Thundercats-esque sight beyond sight – are none the wiser.
You can read the rest of the article here.

DCJoeDog 06-07-2012 04:42 PM

This article is stating all the reasons I have been telling myself to finally build my ultimate gaming PC rig this year.

vallor 06-07-2012 04:50 PM

Don't get too excited and splurge on that Cray computer just yet.

It is very common in game development to use PC builds in early and mid development. You can have a bazillion gigs of ram and super-computer desktops which mean you don't have to waste time optimizing to the console constraits (or even mainstream PC constraits) while your content creators are going wild. Then you get it running on the target platform. Then you get it to run all the way from beginning to end on the target platform without crashing due to running out of resources. Then you worry about getting 30/60 FPS.

Once things settle down around feature or content complete milestones (which many of these games are far from) you start working on getting the game to run on the console. Performance is one of the LAST "feature" areas that generally sees a lot of work.

HB_IKE 06-07-2012 05:59 PM

All the demos I saw look too good to be on a current gen console

lockwoodx 06-07-2012 06:03 PM

I still remember Gencon 97, the Sierra booth across from the Blizzard booth and while everyone was going nuts for starcraft, here I was chatting it up with Dynamix and playing such a raw alpha build of half-life the dev had to issue console commands just to put weapons into my hands. I honestly can't remember if gabe was there because just the experience of playing something that tingled all of my spider senses kept me entirely focused on the game and not giving a fuck who made it. It was a magical time.

Oh, and yeah everything at conventions runs off a PC more or less. The real reason is they are easier to debug and fix on the fly if you have issues as oppose to swapping out the hardware you brought if a console dies on the floor. Also more secure unless some idiot leaves his flash key in the usb port. (lawl)

ElfShotTheFood 06-07-2012 07:31 PM

Most of these games will end up being labelled "crap console ports" in the Steam forums within the next 6 - 12 months.

Demo_Boy 06-07-2012 07:49 PM

PCs are just SO much more powerful now, demoing on anything other than a PC would be like saying: "Look at our blurry popin textures!"

A YEAR ago AMD said PCs are 10 times more powerful than current consoles?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...than-consoles/
Probably a lot higher now.

sai tyrus 06-07-2012 07:49 PM

Read this article earlier today. Good read.

lockwoodx 06-07-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demo_Boy (Post 2127809)
PCs are just SO much more powerful now, demoing on anything other than a PC would be like saying: "Look at our blurry popin textures!"

A YEAR ago AMD said PCs are 10 times more powerful than current consoles?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...than-consoles/
Probably a lot higher now.

Power doesn't get the industry's attention. Control does.

Anenome 06-07-2012 08:47 PM

Someone's surprised as this? They've been doing this for a looooong, long time at E3. It's practically standard practice. There've been stories about 'what's behind the curtain' for as long as I can recall.

LoTECH 06-08-2012 07:16 AM

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It's not like the things are built with an Xbox, and generally these games are mid-development. Plus, showcasing a game on a high end PC, using its graphic superiority as a highlight is a no-brainer.
At the end of the day, as long as we don't have Killzone 2 level bullshittery happening, I'm okay with this.
Besides, I'm far more interested in the game than the system running it. I'm in my 30's. I can afford any system I want

Rommel 06-08-2012 07:31 AM

Here are some other dirty secrets:

1. Several major publishers refuse to appear at E3
2. Other conventions throughout the year, such as PAX and Blizzcon are diluting the significance of the Expo
3. After years of feminist columnists decrying "Booth Babes," the fans now show up dressed like the skimpily-clad characters--also, models present every product at every other show and commercial endeavor in the world but I can rant on self-important crusaders for hours
4. If you do not have a buyer or press pass, you're better off sitting at home watching the event on the internet

Rommel 06-08-2012 07:32 AM

5 was supposed to be "At least its not in Atlanta anymore," but I dropped my keyboard.

DeluxE 06-08-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2127899)
5 was supposed to be "At least its not in Atlanta anymore," but I dropped my keyboard.

That hardly counts as a secret.

sai tyrus 06-08-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoTECH (Post 2127896)
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It's not like the things are built with an Xbox, and generally these games are mid-development. Plus, showcasing a game on a high end PC, using its graphic superiority as a highlight is a no-brainer.
At the end of the day, as long as we don't have Killzone 2 level bullshittery happening, I'm okay with this.
Besides, I'm far more interested in the game than the system running it. I'm in my 30's. I can afford any system I want

Yup. My only real gripe with consoles are the annual releases and the decline of online communities for said games. Add to that the DLC craze and I'm just largely turned off. But my prerence doesn't make me hate or feel superior. There are some amazing titles in the pipe for consoles, and that's where the focus is.

Crenor 06-08-2012 09:47 AM

not news, whenever anyone shows off any game, it is either on a PC or photoshoped to look better (in print and websites). They need to have rules about this type of thing...

lockwoodx 06-08-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crenor (Post 2127939)
They need to have rules about this type of thing...

But but then beer commercials won't be able to have hot women in bikinis fighting for a piece of your manly beer swilling manliness.

LostToys 06-08-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2127898)
3. After years of feminist columnists decrying "Booth Babes," the fans now show up dressed like the skimpily-clad characters--also, models present every product at every other show and commercial endeavor in the world but I can rant on self-important crusaders for hours

Except, of course, PAX and ChinaJoy Expo. Damn booth babe hating bastards. *shakes fist in anger and quickly goes back to counting how many more days until TGS*

Demo_Boy 06-08-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2127815)
Power doesn't get the industry's attention. Control does.

I guess Nintendo and MS got you covered then:
http://imageshack.us/a/img594/2669/mpvrk.gif

http://gifs.gifbin.com/112010/128938...ing-kinect.gif