Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gears of War 4 Announced (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170894)

SaintBlitzkrieg 05-31-2012 09:32 AM

Gears of War 4 Announced

The Verge is reporting that the next Gears of War game has been announced via Game Informer magazine.

Quote:

The next installment in the Gears of War series is confirmed for Xbox 360.

Despite Epic Games concluding the trilogy with the release of Gears of War 3 last year, Game Informer reports its upcoming issue will feature a look at the next game in the franchise said to take place in the Gears of War universe.
I can't wait, but I am curious to see if Cliffy B is part of this one considering that the discussion as of late was that he will be tied up with other projects and would offer it to a different studio.

Reckless Aband0n 05-31-2012 11:10 AM

I'd actually like to see what another studio could do with this franchise. There was only minimal innovation with each previous installment. Perhaps another studio could breathe new life into the Gears.

SaintBlitzkrieg 05-31-2012 11:23 AM

Yeah, I dont remember where I read it, but he basically said that, Epic isn't done after Gears 3, but said that it could live on in the hands with another developer and he would act as a guide more than a developer on it.

Basically what George Lucas does with Star Wars.

I am fine with that, as long as they keep the essence of Gears in tact.

The other things I am curious about is, is this a prequel. The cover of the magazine could suggest that this be the prequel where you learn how Marcus gets arrested (if this was detailed in the books/comics, I am not aware of it) or is this a whole different squad.

They have dabbled with other squads before, most recently in the last game with Zeta squad. But at the same time, I have grown attached to Delta. The same goes with a future Mass Effect game, I have grown so attached to the characters they made, it would be hard to play a game with out them in some way. But I am still open to it if the characters are well written and well voiced.

OmegaVader 05-31-2012 11:25 AM

Gears of War 4 left me so underwhelmed. I traded it in two weeks after purchasing it. The franchise is out of steam; it's kind of the poster boy with what's wrong with video games (blockbuster seller, but shit story, shit writing, big muscley one-dimensional characters, sequelitis-gone-mad, lack of innovation since the first game, etc.)

Venkman 05-31-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaVader (Post 2124800)
Gears of War 4 left me so underwhelmed. I traded it in two weeks after purchasing it.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kt...hp5to1_400.jpg

sai tyrus 05-31-2012 11:46 AM

Interesting to see if this is a prequel of sorts as rumored. Last I heard, People Can Fly was rumored to be working on a prequel trilogy. That may be Marcus... looks to be in handcuffs.

shadow763 05-31-2012 11:52 AM

Wow, like Halo, they just wont let this die.

Wolfgang 05-31-2012 12:04 PM

I enjoy Gears and Halo.

Happy to see more of it.

Evil Avatar 05-31-2012 12:29 PM

I enjoy the franchise, but I will admit to being a little burned out on it. It's like Halo, I'll buy it if it is a good price, but I'm done paying full price for anything Gears or Halo.

SaintBlitzkrieg 05-31-2012 12:32 PM

Gears is still better than Halo. They are both cookie cutter games, but at least they dont have computer programs and humans falling in love. And hell, they have guns with chainsaws.... guns with chainsaws.

Cygnus 05-31-2012 12:37 PM

4 releases of an IP on one console?? Talk about milking a franchise... :rolleyes:

SaintBlitzkrieg 05-31-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cygnus (Post 2124847)
4 releases of an IP on one console?? Talk about milking a franchise... :rolleyes:

Or a perfect business model. lol. Getting your moneys worth.

Reverend Meta 05-31-2012 01:35 PM

Gears is about the only long-running franchise on 360 I have really enjoyed every game of. Definitely looking forward to more.

Azzy 05-31-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaVader (Post 2124800)
The franchise is out of steam; it's kind of the poster boy with what's wrong with video games..

This.
andatencharacterlimit

ElektroDragon 05-31-2012 02:57 PM

This should have been the Xbox 720 launch title! What the hell are they thinking!??

Oh well, I'm going Sony exclusive next gen anyway.

sai tyrus 05-31-2012 03:11 PM

Maybe if it is a prequel you play as Fenix in prison and have to tap "B" repeatedly not to become someone's bitch.

Evil Avatar 05-31-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2124904)
This should have been the Xbox 720 launch title! What the hell are they thinking!??

Oh well, I'm going Sony exclusive next gen anyway.

I wish I could go Sony exclusive next gen. I don't trust the MS launch hardware at all. I'll buy it so I can comment on the exclusives, but I'll be buying all my games to play on the PS4. (Which will probably be 100% PS3 backwards compatible, unlike the 720.)

Meusli 05-31-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2124911)
I wish I could go Sony exclusive next gen. I don't trust the MS launch hardware at all. I'll buy it so I can comment on the exclusives, but I'll be buying all my games to play on the PS4. (Which will probably be 100% PS3 backwards compatible, unlike the 720.)

Any next gen console should come with a free tub of lube, cos they are going to go all out with the money grabs.

Mr. Lake 05-31-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

... I'll be buying all my games to play on the PS4. (Which will probably be 100% PS3 backwards compatible, unlike the 720.)

I forget where I saw it, but I thought it was reported (or at least rumored) that the PS4 would not have a disc drive... and by that stretch not backward compatable with any previous media - unless it is emulated and sold over PSN. I haven't seen the hardware so I have no idea.

Cygnus 05-31-2012 04:08 PM

If anything PS4 won't be BC to PS3 as PS4 won't be using the cell. Recall that sony removed PS2 BC to PS3. XB720 prob will be BC as it will be using PC like parts and stripped down direct x again.

Quote: