Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   38 Studios Employees Stuck With Second Mortgage (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170594)

randir14 05-25-2012 06:57 PM

38 Studios Employees Stuck With Second Mortgage

The Verge is reporting that some 38 Studios employees are stuck with a second mortgage, after being led to believe that the company had sold their previous homes when they moved to Rhode Island.

Quote:

Some of the hundreds of 38 Studios employees laid off yesterday were hit with a second round of bad news this week when they were told that homes they thought the company had sold for them hadn't been, and that they may be stuck with a second mortgage, Polygon has learned.

Several sources directly impacted by the mortgage issue confirmed the news today and a 38 Studios official, who asked to not be named, said the company is working to try and get to the bottom of the notifications and find a resolution.

One former employee said they discovered this week that their Massachusetts home, which they had been told was sold last year, actually hadn't been. The bank contacted them this week to ask why they mortgage wasn't being paid.

It is unclear how many of 38 Studio's 288 Rhode Island employees may be impacted, but it will likely only affect some of those who were part of the company's relocation program. The program, we were told, was used to help employees moving from Massachusetts to Rhode Island when the company relocated.

Read more

Cygnus 05-25-2012 07:12 PM

Ouch that is ridiculous. I hope they got something in writing.

NickAragua 05-25-2012 07:15 PM

Yeah, that's just fucking awful. One of my friends was briefly considering going to work for those guys, I'm pretty glad he didn't get the job.

Darklurkr23 05-25-2012 07:25 PM

Sad to see a Game Studio Die.

But you gotta admit KOA was damn boring (>>)

Anenome 05-25-2012 07:44 PM

What the eff? Who trusts someone else to oversee the sale of a home? I wouldn't.

Orphiuchus 05-25-2012 07:49 PM

This has got to be one of the bigger clusterfucks in the history of gaming.

Chimpbot 05-25-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklurkr23 (Post 2123625)

Kingdoms of Amalur was the perfect meld of Fable and Elder Scrolls; I enjoyed every second of it.

ElektroDragon 05-25-2012 07:52 PM

This is complete crap of course, but how uninvolved with your financial life and responsibilities do you have to be to just take someone's word that your house was sold and not confirm it for yourself?! You normally need to sign off on sales papers, unless they gave the studio power of attorney to handle the sale for them which sounds unreal.

ElektroDragon 05-25-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2123634)
What the eff? Who trusts someone else to oversee the sale of a home? I wouldn't.

Yep, my point exactly.

ElektroDragon 05-25-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darklurkr23 (Post 2123625)

I didn't want to admit it at first, but now 60 hours in and feeling like I've barely scratched the surface at level 18... I have to say yes. It's a big yawnfest. The biggest problem are those damn fae. They bore me to tears.

Hellstorm 05-25-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphiuchus (Post 2123635)
This has got to be one of the bigger clusterfucks in the history of gaming.

No kidding. I thought Ion Storm would never be topped, but lo and behold...

kwolf 05-25-2012 08:12 PM

Looks like we will be enjoying the news of 38 studios lawsuits for some time.

Emabulator 05-25-2012 08:31 PM

Curt Schilling found gulity of douchebaggery.

automaton 05-25-2012 08:36 PM

This should not make much to anyone who's ever had a mortgage. How in the fuck do you "not know" that you haven't been released from your mortgage? How do you leave business like that to someone else without following up on it a year later? I'm seriously doubting the veracity of this.

Azzy 05-25-2012 08:37 PM

Holy crap, how horrible. So 38 was just making their payments for them since their relocation, or what? If so, no wonder the dumbasses went under. And, if their homes were said to have been sold, did the owners get the $$ for it? If so, if they were smart with their money, they should be ok.
What a strange situation.

Also, KOA sucked. I put about twelve hours into it and was bored to tears after about hour 3. The best thing about it was the random shit NPCs did in the background, like pushups.

ElektroDragon 05-25-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automaton (Post 2123647)
This should not make much to anyone who's ever had a mortgage. How in the fuck do you "not know" that you haven't been released from your mortgage? How do you leave business like that to someone else without following up on it a year later? I'm seriously doubting the veracity of this.

Agreed, but, with today's nanny state entitlement society, I'm not surprised.

OmegaVader 05-25-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2123653)
Agreed, but, with today's nanny state entitlement society, I'm not surprised.

Non-sequitur

Rommel 05-25-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2123634)

Yeah I ... I have never heard of such a thing.

Rommel 05-25-2012 10:16 PM

No I cannot leave it at that. Where did the funds go for the last year? Did none of those relocated employees expect to have turned a profit from their sale, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, did anyone with no equity in their home (Entry-level programmers being young, and all) think how lucky they were to break exactly even on the sale?

Okay, yeah--never heard of anyone like this and I have been relocated for work three times. If anyone knows if this is standard or common or even an on-occasion business practice, please fill me in.

LoTECH 05-25-2012 10:31 PM

Pretty sad for a game that reviewed fairly well (a steady 80% on metacritic).

I am still enjoying the game, but it's not on par with Elder Scrolls. It IS a shit-ton better than Fable 3, though. And it's epic in scale.