Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Skyrim Patch 1.6 Introduces Mounted Combat (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170512)

randir14 05-24-2012 04:11 PM

Skyrim Patch 1.6 Introduces Mounted Combat

Joystiq reports that Skyrim's upcoming patch 1.6 will add mounted combat to the game. Steam users can choose to download a beta version of this patch right now.

Quote:

Bethesda is making good on all of the features seen in the Skyrim sizzle video, like the Kinect stuff added earlier this month and those snazzy new kill cams. The next addition to the game will be mounted combat, the Bethesda blog has revealed. Finally you will no longer need to dismount before you punch that dragon to death.

There's no word on when the update will be available on consoles right now, but if you've got the game on Steam, you can opt into the beta version and test out mounted combat in Skyrim immediately.

Mojopin 05-24-2012 04:17 PM

Wow, another new feature that we didn't have to pay for in DLC, THANKS BETHESDA!!! Screw all you haters that are gonna start bashing from this point on...

vallor 05-24-2012 04:53 PM

Even I won't bash this. But I rarely used a horse so I'm wondering the value of this particular feature.

MADxMrMike 05-24-2012 04:54 PM

.......:eek:...

Emabulator 05-24-2012 05:29 PM

We'll call it even on the horse armor.

retsudo 05-24-2012 05:40 PM

Meh.
Fed up of skyrim, the combat is just so basic. Mount and Blade has spoiled me but if they can do it why can't skyrim?

Pluvious 05-24-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retsudo (Post 2123332)
Meh.
Fed up of skyrim, the combat is just so basic. Mount and Blade has spoiled me but if they can do it why can't skyrim?

Combat?.. how about the dreadful character models and animation? I mean seriously, it's the year 2012.. that engine is so ugly I can't play the game. I rented it and played about an hour.. I just couldn't do it. Same with Fallout Vegas.. after playing Dead Island, Crysis 2 and Gears I have a serious hard time investing 100+ hours in a Skyrim/Fallout game that has been hit with the ugly stick. :rolleyes:

oh and yes, the combat IS terrible compared to Kingdoms of Amular.

Blog 05-24-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluvious (Post 2123335)
Combat?.. how about the dreadful character models and animation? I mean seriously, it's the year 2012.. that engine is so ugly I can't play the game. I rented it and played about an hour.. I just couldn't do it. Same with Fallout Vegas..

Skyrim looks quite a bit better with the official high-res texture pack. PC modders have really made it shine, too. Same with New Vegas.

Quote:

after playing Dead Island,
In Skyrim's defense it has larger world areas, a lot more 'clutter' items, and more diverse character models on-screen at any given time. And even then, with the improved textures Skyrim puts Dead Island to shame.

Quote:

Crysis 2
C2 was designed from the ground up to be one of the best looking games of this generation. It's hard to compare it to anything using an older engine, let alone a sprawling open-world game like Skyrim.

Quote:

and Gears
As for Gears... Wait, you really think Gears looks better than Skyrim? Seriously? Have you been to your optometrist lately?

Quote:

I have a serious hard time investing 100+ hours in a Skyrim/Fallout game that has been hit with the ugly stick. :rolleyes:

The combat in Skyrim is... well, OK, it's pretty lackluster. They really could have done a lot more to make the combat more interesting than "click the mouse button to swing sword". I have to give you this one.

PSPfreak 05-24-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluvious (Post 2123335)
Combat?.. how about the dreadful character models and animation? I mean seriously, it's the year 2012.. that engine is so ugly I can't play the game. I rented it and played about an hour.. I just couldn't do it. Same with Fallout Vegas.. after playing Dead Island, Crysis 2 and Gears I have a serious hard time investing 100+ hours in a Skyrim/Fallout game that has been hit with the ugly stick. :rolleyes:

Man, I remember a time where people just enjoyed good games and didn't have a gripe with every single aspect of it.

Samstag 05-24-2012 07:08 PM

I never understood why they had horses in skyrim to begin with. I tried riding one for about 30 seconds until I realized I couldn't fight from horseback.

And as someone else said I'm probably too spoiled by the mounted combat in mount and blade.

BalekFekete 05-24-2012 07:27 PM

I was about to consider trading it in, but this will make me reconsider...!

Cygnus 05-24-2012 07:29 PM

Exactly, gamers can be such whiners sometimes. :rolleyes: The graphics are great. My main gripe is that the "fetch this" quests get so monotonous. I hope future RPGs bring fresher game play elements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSPfreak (Post 2123343)
Man, I remember a time where people just enjoyed good games and didn't have a gripe with every single aspect of it.

Tolgar 05-24-2012 07:36 PM

After just doing the STEP guide here for 1.5, I gotta hurry up and finish my quests before 1.6 comes out, because I sure as hell don't want to wait around and update all those mods again.

As a sneak theif, I never use a horse, never used a horse on the other class types either...too slow, have to get off to fight, etc.

I hope they work in horse combat in a cool way but I'm not holding my breath, too much to change to make it like Mount & Blade, probably be more EQ/EQ2 where the horse was just under you and were you swinging away :P

PSPfreak 05-24-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cygnus (Post 2123348)
Exactly, gamers can be such whiners sometimes. :rolleyes: The graphics are great. My main gripe is that the "fetch this" quests get so monotonous. I hope future RPGs bring fresher game play elements.

Gamers are flat out spoiled nowadays. I don't care how good the graphics/animations/whatever are; if your game is good I will play it and likely enjoy it. Do I love the games that DO get everything flawless, like an Uncharted? ABSOLUTELY. But I don't get bent out of shape if there's some glitches or the graphics aren't the best the gen has to offer, etc.

People are just apparently too neurotic to just ENJOY GAMES in this day and age.

Sobran 05-24-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSPfreak (Post 2123350)
Gamers are flat out spoiled nowadays. I don't care how good the graphics/animations/whatever are; if your game is good I will play it and likely enjoy it. Do I love the games that DO get everything flawless, like an Uncharted? ABSOLUTELY. But I don't get bent out of shape if there's some glitches or the graphics aren't the best the gen has to offer, etc.

People are just apparently too neurotic to just ENJOY GAMES in this day and age.

I've been feeling the same way lately.

Azzy 05-24-2012 08:23 PM

I loved Skyrim. There are things I wish they had done different, but all in all, the game was a solid blast.
The horses, for me, rarely even saw the light of day. I'd get one then never ride it because every two feet there was a cave or bad guy or dragon or bandit or bundle of milk thistle on the ground.

Pluvious 05-24-2012 08:34 PM

Shit, you guys make it sound like I told you your kid is ugly.

I had a feeling you guys would all slam me for saying the graphics suck in Skyrim (and or Fallout series) They've got such a loyal following any criticism gets blown off as being to picky.. well I have news for you. Graphics DO matter. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. The characters are blocky, have awkward movement, the death animations suck and it just feels like an amateur job to me. I understand they put a lot of effort into the story and the little crap laying all over but if they want me to be immersed into their world they create, I don't want to be consistently reminded how low budget the stiff and poorly animated characters that are in my face the whole time are. The landscape and vistas are wonderful, but the characters are just too distracting, FOR ME.

Add Bioshock to my list of how it's done right. Hell, even Borderlands is acceptable because it's the 'style' of the cell shading.

oh and I'm playing on the 360 and don't have access to the 'high res pack' you speak so fondly of. I get it, PC graphics are better. But those other games I listed seem to do it just fine on the 360 so I'm not sure the PC argument is valid here.

Agnostic Pope 05-24-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluvious (Post 2123363)
Shit, you guys make it sound like I told you your kid is ugly.

I had a feeling you guys would all slam me for saying the graphics suck in Skyrim (and or Fallout series) They've got such a loyal following any criticism gets blown off as being to picky.. well I have news for you. Graphics DO matter. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. The characters are blocky, have awkward movement, the death animations suck and it just feels like an amateur job to me. I understand they put a lot of effort into the story and the little crap laying all over but if they want me to be immersed into their world they create, I don't want to be consistently reminded how low budget the stiff and poorly animated characters that are in my face the whole time are. The landscape and vistas are wonderful, but the characters are just too distracting, FOR ME.

Add Bioshock to my list of how it's done right. Hell, even Borderlands is acceptable because it's the 'style' of the cell shading.

oh and I'm playing on the 360 and don't have access to the 'high res pack' you speak so fondly of. I get it, PC graphics are better. But those other games I listed seem to do it just fine on the 360 so I'm not sure the PC argument is valid here.

Best comment ever. BTW I played Skyrim for over 200 hours and these are its main faults. Looking the other way won't improve the next TES. Remember kids how much Oblivion sucked? How we told Bethesda what we wanted? It worked out okay. It is called constructive criticism and it does wonders!

Azzy 05-24-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

If you only game on a console then you're kind of the paste eater of graphics experts.

I think you make great points FOR YOU, but if you want to make points FOR YOU then make them in YOUR diary, right? If you're going to make points that only apply to YOU in a common forum then begin to experience life through the eyes of your audience as well.

While you have some points (like animation, woah this game ragdolls to a fault huh?), to call it amateur instantly invalidates your points. Do you know what that word means? So it's not made-by-the-fist-of-God-perfect. Oh noes.
If you were concerned with perfect you wouldn't be gaming on an xbox.

PSPfreak 05-24-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

well I have news for you. Graphics DO matter.

Matter how? No game needs good graphics to be a good game, and that's not even debatable. If you prefer good graphics, that's your prerogative but there are people that literally bash numerous games because the graphics are even 1 notch below what is the current BEST and it's utterly ridiculous.