Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bing Gaining Ground on Google (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169735)

Wolfgang 05-13-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2120545)
I never get involved in crap like this. You're being gamed, you just don't know how.

You get points for searches. You have to login to get the points. Microsoft builds a profile of you based off your account. If you don't login Microsoft builds a profile of you based off your IP and assumes stuff because of your IP's location.

vs

Google -- you get nothing for logging in except Google gets to build a huge profile. If you don't login Google makes a profile based off your IP and makes assumptions based off the IP's location.

Any company that is worth billions of dollars and sells nothing is gaming you. Google doesn't sell much (Google Search appliances and a few other items).

Anenome 05-13-2012 08:33 PM

I want to get nothing.

And Google sell ads by the boatload.

Does MS offer an ability to not have your searches tracked like Google does? I don't care if Google anonymizes my searching, they're not keeping anything on me by name.

Now go read the fine print on your 'points.'

wunshot 05-13-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaVader (Post 2120511)
My privacy doesn't feel particularly invaded by Google. I find such claims to be more hype than legitimate concerns.

I'm with you on that....If anything, I feel that the data it collects helps me rather than hurts me. As someone else mentioned, if you're getting it for free, then they need to do something to remain a viable company. I've used google for a decade, and since then I rely heavily on google maps,calendar, and more recently docs/drive. They're welcome to skim some information from me.

Slacker 05-13-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2120552)

Done. I've pasted some of the relevant bits below. They look remarkably similar. Both Google and Microsoft track what you search and how you search. Microsoft explicitly calls out that they're checking your browser home page and browser toolbars. Google is a bit more vague in that they collect "system activity" and "hardware settings."

If you go through both privacy policies you find that both companies aggregate your data. So if you use Hotmail it'll link your Bing searches with your account. If you use Gmail they will link your Google searches with your account. In either case you're giving them the same data and they're using it in remarkably similar ways.

I'm apparently missing the "fine print" that you're referring to. What exactly are you objecting to? Or have you not read the fine print and you're just objecting out of general ignorance?

The Microsoft privacy policy:

b. Collection and Use of Information in the Program

The information collected through the Program enables us to provide the Program, properly record your credits, protect against fraud, and to improve Bing and your online experience. We may collect and store information about your searches (but not the actual search terms) in connection with your Program Account to assist in the prevention of fraud.

The Program collects information about your interaction with Bing including the number of web Searches you do each day; the types of Searches you complete, such as for news or images; and the number of search ads you click on. The Program collects your search default setting; whether your home page is set to www.bing.com; in error scenarios, the errors you have encountered; the version of and information about your browser, the version of the Rewards credit counter you are using, your IP address, as well as which search toolbars, if any, are installed on your computer. The Program also may collect information regarding the way you enter search queries for fraud detection purposes.

The Program will stop counting your searches and collecting the information described below when the Program ends (which may be at any time in Microsoft’s discretion). The Program may use the data collected through the Rewards credit counter, your redemption center activity, and information collected and associated with your Windows Live ID to customize your Program experience. Your Account will reflect the number of available credits, credits in process (pending redemption orders), and redeemed credits. To learn about Microsoft's privacy practices, please read our online Privacy Statement.

The Google privacy policy:

When you use our services or view content provided by Google, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
  • details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
  • telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
  • Internet protocol address.
  • device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
  • cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Google Account.

We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services – for example to make it easier to share things with people you know. We will not combine DoubleClick cookie information with personally identifiable information unless we have your opt-in consent.

Windsong 05-13-2012 11:50 PM

I suspect google will eventually just get rid of organic search altogether and just have ppc stuff front and center. Maybe call it The Google Shopping Network. Ugh..Google just needs to die.

kadreal 05-13-2012 11:59 PM

I don't know, I'm not a fan of the idea of using Bing considering that they were caught ripping off Google search results about half a year ago...

Google loaded some obviously false hits to their results for a few keywords, and what do you know, those same hits start appearing on Bing not long after... tsk tsk.

vallor 05-14-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDiddy (Post 2120533)
Really? I have never had a search engine give me trouble looking for what I was looking for. I would like an example of this.

I don't remember the exact searches from the past that completely turned me off BING but one example might be: recently I was trying to find out about Brewmaster talent trees for the WoW: MoP expansion.

On Bing the first half of the page was all about RL beer brewmasters, on Google the first page was precisely either information on the WoW Brewmaster class or a link directly to Brewmaster talent tree builders.

Google just seems smarter about what I want where Bing doesn't seem to give results with the priority I want them in. It just isn't refined enough yet and I don't care enough to give it the time to get it's act together. Google does collect information so maybe they are serving up searches contextually based on what I, specifically, have searched for in the past. Bing just doesn't have that database yet to show I do a lot of searches for WoW information so has to go on a fishing expedition.

Even if Bing were only a smidge behind Google for accuracy I don't care enough to change my habit even with MS bribes.

Bing is prettier, but that probably just leads to the page loading slower.

Meusli 05-14-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 2120538)
I have gotten over 1200 Microsoft Points because I use Bing. Love it.

Bing Rewards: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9778...4-F2E62C29D46C

Got all excited and clicked on the link, turns out it for Americans only. :(

KlausFlouride 05-14-2012 05:24 AM

I started using bing when it launched and I haven't looked back. Fuck Google.

Wolfgang 05-14-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2120552)
I want to get nothing.

And Google sell ads by the boatload.

Does MS offer an ability to not have your searches tracked like Google does? I don't care if Google anonymizes my searching, they're not keeping anything on me by name.

You bought Ads from Google? Really? They are selling Ads that you need to buy to use their service? No, they are an advertising company... their services are free. They are free because they make money off your information that is used to sell targeted ads.

I am glad you don't value your personal information. I on the other hand if both products are basically equal (Google and Bing), then if one is willing to "reward" me and the other isn't, I am going to use the one that rewards me.

Yes Microsoft offers the ability to not have your searches tracked.

On Bing -- click on the Gear in the Top Right Corner, Click Search History on the left hand side, Turn Search History On or Off (on by default).

Now go try a service before bashing it to prove your 'points.'

* by default I use Bing, but I will also use Google. For me Bing has proven to be good enough and I get something for using it -- therefore Bing = Winner for me.

Agnostic Pope 05-14-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 2120538)
I have gotten over 1200 Microsoft Points because I use Bing. Love it.

Bing Rewards: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9778...4-F2E62C29D46C

Do you work for MS?

Wolfgang 05-14-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2120648)
Do you work for MS?

Nope. But I did get 1200 Microsoft points from them and am on my way to a free month of Hulu.

Love getting free stuff.

HB_IKE 05-14-2012 12:02 PM

I for one can't stand Bing results ... they are usually very off ...

If I search for: sun also rises wiki - it returns me no wiki page for the book only for the movie ... pretty weird right?

phantomhitman 05-14-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2120648)
Do you work for MS?

Its very true. Couple of my friends have earned points this way. Im just too lazy to sign up. Bing isnt as bad as people make it uot to be.

Agnostic Pope 05-14-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfgang (Post 2120669)
Nope. But I did get 1200 Microsoft points from them and am on my way to a free month of Hulu.

Love getting free stuff.

Orly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomhitman (Post 2120678)
Its very true. Couple of my friends have earned points this way. Im just too lazy to sign up. Bing isnt as bad as people make it uot to be.

Help me out! :p http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9778...5-D306B36B20C7

Wolfgang 05-14-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2120682)

I just tried, I of course had an account, but hopefully I gave you credit for clicking on the link and then "joining" Bing Rewards.

Agnostic Pope 05-14-2012 12:14 PM

Nope but thanks anyway. I need a friend referral. To go gold right? Gur. (Any search warrants points btw) ANY! :)

phantomhitman 05-14-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2120682)

YOU WHORE

If I get time today I will (cant go to the link during work). I have watched them get free points for a while now so I might as well start.

phantomhitman 05-14-2012 12:56 PM

actually, pope check to see if it went through. work firewall stopped my login but forwarded me to a "success" page

Agnostic Pope 05-14-2012 01:14 PM

Nah it didn't work. You gotta set up a profile I guess. Maybe it is the firewall or ???. Thanks anyway guys.