Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Blizzard and Valve Settle DOTA Lawsuit (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169675)

randir14 05-11-2012 02:57 PM

Blizzard and Valve Settle DOTA Lawsuit

Eurogamer reports that Blizzard and Valve have settled their DOTA lawsuit.

Quote:

Blizzard and Valve have settled their disagreement over use of the DOTA name.

Valve gets to use it in a commercial setting, while Blizzard retains non-commercial use of the title for its community, with particular regard to player-created maps for Warcraft 3 and StarCraft 2.

As a result, Blizzard has agreed to rename it's forthcoming Blizzard DOTA project. It'll now be known as Blizzard All-Stars.
Read more

Emabulator 05-11-2012 04:24 PM

Meanwhile Riot Games is kicking ass...

sai tyrus 05-11-2012 04:25 PM

Haha. That they are!

Anenome 05-11-2012 06:03 PM

Valve smacks down Blizz in court, Ohhh!

Freelancer 05-11-2012 06:07 PM

This is just sad. I don't see why it wasn't possible for both to use this genre name to be honest.

Anenome 05-11-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freelancer (Post 2120049)
This is just sad. I don't see why it wasn't possible for both to use this genre name to be honest.

Little thing called copyright.

lockwoodx 05-11-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freelancer (Post 2120049)

Blizzard didn't want the name, they just didn't want to be associated with Valve either. "All-Stars" is a name they used back when dtoa was a starcraft mod and it works fine.

vallor 05-11-2012 06:44 PM

Blizz lost, that is all. And a shame it is that no one else can use DOTA to describe the genre now. Everyone else will need to use the abomination "MOBA".

GBSOD 05-11-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2120063)
a shame it is that no one else can use DOTA to describe the genre now. Everyone else will need to use the abomination "MOBA".

Well MOBA is more descriptive of the genre itself. Not every game of this type has ancients to defend.

Rommel 05-11-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBSOD (Post 2120075)
Well MOBA is more descriptive of the genre itself. Not every game of this type has ancients to defend.

Yes, some ancients are doing just fine on their own.

greenapple 05-11-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2120063)
Blizz lost, that is all. And a shame it is that no one else can use DOTA to describe the genre now. Everyone else will need to use the abomination "MOBA".

It's a settlement. Some of the terms are likely confidential. For all we know, money passed from Valve to Blizzard.

We don't know enough to say who made out better.

OmegaVader 05-11-2012 07:56 PM

For the first time ever, I doubt Valve's ability to penetrate this market... Riot Games is simply doing everything right with League of Legends, and as it stands, DOTA2's gameplay is simply too slow to be as fun.

Azrael 05-11-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaVader (Post 2120092)
For the first time ever, I doubt Valve's ability to penetrate this market... Riot Games is simply doing everything right with League of Legends, and as it stands, DOTA2's gameplay is simply too slow to be as fun.

Man it sucks that HoN went free 2 play so late, i really believe they have the better game. Though LoL won that round and it wasn't even close.

I wouldn't count Valve out, think they can make headway. I already know a lot of people who have given up on LoL & HoN and play DOTA2 exclusively now. Honestly i find DOTA2 slow as well, but at least with the game tied to your Steam account maybe they can make headway into cleaning up the community, penalising leavers/griefers etc whereas in LoL & HoN they just go make another account. Bane of the genre

ElektroDragon 05-11-2012 10:27 PM

I really don't understand these quasi-MMO games that amount to a multiplayer "tug of war". I don't get the appeal at all. Everyone is gaga over them worse than zombie games now.

Then again, I don't understand the appeal of Minecraft either. Is this a generational thing? Am I too old?

Korialstrazs 05-11-2012 11:26 PM

The appeal is mini-rpg character building packed into tiny bites. You get to level up, equip stuff, and ultimately win or lose a pvp match. The better you do, the stronger your chosen hero becomes compared to the enemy heroes. You get games where you are literally the one in the spotlight because of how well you are doing.

lockwoodx 05-11-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenapple (Post 2120081)
It's a settlement. Some of the terms are likely confidential. For all we know, money passed from Valve to Blizzard.

We don't know enough to say who made out better.

The real story is Blizzard was concerned Valve would charge people to make $DLC for DoTA games created with forgeworld but the agreement was that Valve gets to keep the name so long as they don't go after blizzard users for creating mods which also use that name.

It's a win for blizzard in the long run unless valve's DoTA is so good nobody cares about Blizzard's version except die-hard fanbois.

lockwoodx 05-11-2012 11:42 PM

and yes... it all came down to greed and money. Who had the rights to the $DLC is who controls the spice.

Korialstrazs 05-11-2012 11:57 PM

More interested in blizzard all stars due to new heroes/mechanics. Dota 2 is straight up copied from dota 1, which I played enough of during my years of wc3 custom maps.

lockwoodx 05-11-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korialstrazs (Post 2120181)
Dota 2 is straight up copied from dota 1, which I played enough of during my years of wc3 custom maps.

You do realize that Blizzard's success over the years has been from an attitude of "if it's not broken then don't fix it" ???

Metal Khaos 05-12-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emabulator (Post 2119991)
Meanwhile Riot Games is kicking ass...

No shit. As much as I always loved DoTA, something about League of Legends has me hooked. Always various tweaks and new hero's coming out. Once I'm out of work I think I'm going to tear some shit up actually.

Quote:

I really don't understand these quasi-MMO games that amount to a multiplayer "tug of war". I don't get the appeal at all. Everyone is gaga over them worse than zombie games now.
I started with them with DoTA on wc3. What I liked about it was that it's only a session game. Everyone starts off 'fresh' (minus what kind of runes or skills you picked) and then you go at it in a game of skill. It's the whole skill part that I love about it. I've had times where my heart beat was jumping after getting a triple kill and then double kill right after, stalking the enemy like a fucking predator in the jungle. And when they see me, they just fucking run the opposite direction.

Course.. that's only few games. There's plenty of games I just get my ass KICKED. All fun though. I also will play nearly any-type of game.