Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169315)

randir14 05-07-2012 10:44 AM

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview

TabTimes has an interview with Overhaul Games' Cameron Tofer, in regards to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Quote:

Youíre looking to position the iOS version of the game at around a $10 price point. That the game will ship with close to 80 hours of content makes this understandable, but in a market where so many apps sell for 99 cents, do you feel that setting the price as high as you are is risky?

Games are a funny thing. Itís not a commodity; you canít put value on it, or weigh the game and say what itís worth. Itís so finicky.
There are definitely scenarios where a game of a perceived value is being sold for less. The notion of perceived value adds risk to it all.

Developers right now are spending too much time trying to avoid risk instead of making really good products. I think the business model needs changing. Designers and critics have their definition of what is a good game, but then players have another. There needs to be better communication, which would affect how games turn out. A new business model would help that.
Read the rest of the interview here.

Metal Jesus 05-07-2012 11:17 AM

This is one of the few games I will be happy to pay $9.99 for on my iPad. Bring on Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and Fallout next!

MrE 05-07-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Jesus (Post 2118192)
This is one of the few games I will be happy to pay $9.99 for on my iPad. Bring on Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale and Fallout next!

Yes, yes and YES! I would buy all three and play until my eyes burned out.

Hopefully BG will be a huge enough success for them that these other games will be made a reality on this platform.

laggerific 05-07-2012 12:31 PM

I'd like to buy it on the PC and get a discount on the iOS version.

Apex 05-07-2012 12:36 PM

Do want! But no android version makes me sad :(

Rommel 05-07-2012 12:44 PM

One of the great myths of gaming of the past few years has been that $50 can buy one AAA game or 50-iOS games, with the 50 titles equating to more play time and fun than the single title. Anyone who has ever played either quality RPG, or a typical iOS title knows this isn't true. The majority of $.99 garbage on the iPhone or Android is just that: Garbage you will be hard pressed to stretch an hour out of before you are bored or sick of repeated requests for micro-transactions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laggerific (Post 2118237)
I'd like to buy it on the PC and get a discount on the iOS version.

This would be wonderful, but we live in the post-horse armor world.

OmegaVader 05-07-2012 06:41 PM

$10 sounds obscenely low to me. Hope the PC version is that cheap!

Mr. Crowley 05-07-2012 10:30 PM

This was originally 2nd edition, will it stay that way or get changed to 4th? I sure hope not, 4th edition is pure junk.

randir14 05-07-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Crowley (Post 2118384)
This was originally 2nd edition, will it stay that way or get changed to 4th? I sure hope not, 4th edition is pure junk.

The gameplay is staying the same, they're only adding some cosmetic upgrades and new locations, quests and NPCs.

Azrael 05-08-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randir14 (Post 2118395)
The gameplay is staying the same, they're only adding some cosmetic upgrades and new locations, quests and NPCs.

Well its sorta a bastard 2.5 rule set... adding kits and what not. Man i can't wait for this. So hopeful its successful so Icewind Dale & Planescape Torment get the same treatment.

LoTECH 05-08-2012 03:58 AM

Don't have an iPad. I wonder if this will play on the 4s...
And if so, will it play alright? This is one that I never played and have always wanted to.