Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nintendo Suffers First Annual Loss in Three Decades (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168699)

randir14 04-26-2012 10:06 PM

Nintendo Suffers First Annual Loss in Three Decades

The Los Angeles Times reports that Nintendo has suffered an annual loss of over $500 million dollars, the first loss in 30 years.

Quote:

Nintendo on Thursday posted losses of more than $500 million for its fiscal year -- its first annual loss since the Japanese gaming company began publicly reporting its financial results in 1981.

The maker of Mario and Zelda games in January telegraphed that it would post steep declines in sales and a substantial loss for the year ended March 31. Thursday's results were roughly in line with its grim forecasts, as both sales and losses came in slightly lower than expected.

The Kyoto company, which manufactures the Wii and DS game consoles, recorded a $534.6-million loss on $8 billion in revenue, compared with a $960.5-million profit on $12.6 billion in sales the year before. On Jan. 26, Nintendo warned investors that it would likely post a $804.3-million loss on $8.2 billion in sales.

Read more

Azzy 04-26-2012 10:21 PM

i don't get how they're as successful as they are and yet always seem on the brink of destruction.
while i didn't buy a wii, and i don't plan on buying the wii v1.2, i still consider myself a fan of these guys.
while companies like blizzard, sony and bioware have managed to lose my loyalty, nintendo has yet to pull a dick move big enough to roll my eyes.

Agnostic Pope 04-26-2012 10:24 PM

804 mil loss on 8.2 billion in sales? Shit Sony...i'm out of Sony jokes.

Hellstorm 04-26-2012 10:33 PM

Nintendo will be fine, they have been hit by the strong yen and the 3DS price cut. In the IR briefing Iwata stated they should begin to turn profit on 3DS by end of summer.

In BIGGER news, Iwata announced Nintendo's digital distribution plans and the service goes live in August with downloads of packaged games. The only announced game so far is new super Mario bros 2. He also annouced digital downloads of games on day one of WiiU launch.

Hellstorm 04-26-2012 10:35 PM

Oh forgot to mention that new super Mario bros 2 is for 3DS. So buy it retail or download from the eShop.

Rommel 04-26-2012 10:37 PM

They can always make playing cards and pachinko machines after the Wii-U folds in on itself.

vallor 04-26-2012 10:37 PM

Also, it seems like the 3DS is still selling above the cost of manufacture. A rarity for Nitty. I read something like March 2013 before they make a profit on that hardware.

Also, I read that this was the first annual loss in *their entire history* not just the last 30 years.

EDIT: I Read the article again. They are saying it will be profitable in 6 months.

lockwoodx 04-26-2012 10:40 PM

First world Nintendo problem because when everyone already owns one.

vallor 04-26-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2115570)
First world Nintendo problem because when everyone already owns one.

Apparently there were 10 million people who didn't:
The Wii may be in fast decline, but the year leading up to March 31 was hardly a dry period for the platform. 9.84 Million hardware units were sold worldwide, backed up by 102.37 million software units.
Pretty frickin respectable. Nearly half of the loss was just to exchange rates; harsh.

lockwoodx 04-26-2012 10:52 PM

also: Smart phones.

Syl 04-26-2012 10:54 PM

The fact that this is the first loss that nintendo has had in 30 years really should speak loudly about the company.

lockwoodx 04-26-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syl (Post 2115583)
The fact that this is the first loss that nintendo has had in 30 years really should speak loudly about the company.

Yes.. it says "THANK GOD THEY ARE STARTING TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX AND TAKE RISKS."

These losses will likely cause Nintendo to go back to their old ways with 3 more decades of the same old shit.

BeachGaara 04-26-2012 11:03 PM

Dunno about you but I'm really looking forward to the next Zelda... ... and Metroid... and Mario... and Donkey Kong...

Zurik 04-26-2012 11:48 PM

I'm actually kinda tired of Nintendo repackaging nostalgia over and over. That and motion controls are just annoying for me. Let's get some new innovation up in there!

gzsfrk 04-27-2012 12:39 AM

Serves them right for getting fat and lazy. Success made them arrogant, and now they're starting to reap the reward thereof. You think they would have learned from Sony's example the fate of those who allow their market leader position to blind them to the wolves chasing from behind.

Evil Avatar 04-27-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurik (Post 2115604)
I'm actually kinda tired of Nintendo repackaging nostalgia over and over. That and motion controls are just annoying for me. Let's get some new innovation up in there!

I think no-glasses 3D was pretty fracking innovative. If it wasn't for the high cost both my kids would probably already own one. I think they got hurt because once you spend $200 each on a DSi you don't want to do it again for a 3DS and both my kids DSi's work just fine.

When you make hardware that doesn't break down every 30-seconds (ie, Xbox 360) people aren't in a big hurry to upgrade.

Agnostic Pope 04-27-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzsfrk (Post 2115609)
Serves them right for getting fat and lazy. Success made them arrogant, and now they're starting to reap the reward thereof. You think they would have learned from Sony's example the fate of those who allow their market leader position to blind them to the wolves chasing from behind.

Sony STILL hasn't learned from their own mistakes. Why should Wintendo?

Reckless Aband0n 04-27-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rommel (Post 2115565)
They can always make playing cards and pachinko machines after the Wii-U folds in on itself.

And hooker hotels!

Syl 04-27-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzsfrk (Post 2115609)

They did learn, thats why they're releasing the Wii-U as soon as the Wii is losing its (Insane) steam and why they took the "embarrassing" route of dropping the 3DS price by $80 less than 4 months since launch.

Since then the 3DS is now back to being the best selling console EVER in the time period its been out and we'll see what the Wii-U has going for it at E3. This was a rough year for nintendo, but one loss in 30 years is not going to kill a company that has been constantly making money for 30+ years.

Also, if you read the article, 50% of the money loss was simply due to the fact that the Yen is currently devaluing at an alarming rate.

Pitpig 04-27-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2115580)
also: Smart phones.

Exactly. Our kids have just as much fun with our old iPhone 3GS's as their Nintendo 3DS's. The price of Nintendo games needs to drop.