Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Retail Games Landing on the 3DS eShop (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168693)

Metal Khaos 04-26-2012 07:22 PM

Retail Games Landing on the 3DS eShop

Yes, you heard right. From a recent Financial Results Briefing, Nintendo has laid plans for releasing full retail titles on the 3DS eShop. The first title up on that list is going to be the New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Quote:

The number of repeat visitors has largely grown in comparison to that for our previous platforms such as the Wii and the Nintendo DSi. This trend has been maintained even after the turn of the year.

Of course, we know that the Nintendo eShop still has room for improvement. However, we have a strong feeling that the foundation for us to deploy our digital businesses has been properly laid out.

As I said earlier today, we announced during the latest Nintendo Direct that the completely new 2D Mario game, “New Super Mario Bros. 2,” will be launched in August this year.

Agnostic Pope 04-26-2012 09:21 PM

I like having my Mario Carts. So no digital shit for me...except for the NES/SNES CLASSICS OR LACK OF FUCKING GAMES IN THE MOTHERFUCKING STORE.

Syl 04-27-2012 06:07 AM

There are plenty of games on the 3DS store. Some really, really good ones as well. It's just going to grow once they start getting GBA emulation working.

JazGalaxy 04-27-2012 06:10 AM

I think Nintendo is going to see this as an exceptionally smart move for them. With their design history, they need to leverage themselves as being something like premium iPhone games. Immediate access, immediate fun. That will decimate Sony and their " play for two hours before the game starts" luxury brand.

Metal Khaos 04-27-2012 11:08 AM

This is a win for the consumer. I like the idea of being able to download a couple full retail games onto my own SD card and have a few games on me at all times on my 3DS instead of having to carry around the small game cards as well. I wish all three companies would release retail titles as both physical and digital at the same time. More options the better.

lockwoodx 04-27-2012 11:12 AM

Long overdue Nintendo. Long overdue.

Agnostic Pope 04-27-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Khaos (Post 2115753)
This is a win for the consumer. I like the idea of being able to download a couple full retail games onto my own SD card and have a few games on me at all times on my 3DS instead of having to carry around the small game cards as well. I wish all three companies would release retail titles as both physical and digital at the same time. More options the better.

If your 3DS gets stolen...you have no way of re-downloading your stuff to another 3DS without you having to buy it again. Unlike other digital services you don't really buy software from them...it is basicly your 3DS's.

blackzc 04-27-2012 05:00 PM

So the games are now tied to an account and not the system right? And can be re downloaded?

Metal Khaos 04-27-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2115780)
If your 3DS gets stolen...you have no way of re-downloading your stuff to another 3DS without you having to buy it again. Unlike other digital services you don't really buy software from them...it is basicly your 3DS's.

Yeah, but I also don't exactly plan on getting my 3DS suddenly stolen from me. Believe me, I'd be much happier if they did just tie it into an account instead of the hardware. I also haven't really had anything stolen from me since I was a kid. The only way for my 3DS to go missing is if someone robs my ass at gun point while I have it on me.

Agnostic Pope 04-27-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Khaos (Post 2115885)
Yeah, but I also don't exactly plan on getting my 3DS suddenly stolen from me. Believe me, I'd be much happier if they did just tie it into an account instead of the hardware. I also haven't really had anything stolen from me since I was a kid. The only way for my 3DS to go missing is if someone robs my ass at gun point while I have it on me.

What if you lost it? Or broke it? All your purchases...just gone.

Agnostic Pope 04-27-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2115884)
So the games are now tied to an account and not the system right? And can be re downloaded?

Nope. They are tied to the system.

blackzc 04-27-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2115906)
Nope. They are tied to the system.

So what is different and good about this? I aint buying shit thats tied to a console.

Agnostic Pope 04-28-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2115954)
So what is different and good about this? I aint buying shit thats tied to a console.

I never said...no there is nothing good about this the fact is Nintendo's online service sucks we have no profiles and no way of re downloading anything if your 3DS gets lost,broken beyond repair or stolen.

Metal Khaos 04-28-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2115905)

I'm willing to throw the dice here. What if I lost or broke my game card as well? And I'm sure I could probably call up Nintendo support and have them help me if something happened to my 3DS since I do believe my purchases are tracked on my Club Nintendo account?

blackzc 04-28-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2115960)
I never said...no there is nothing good about this the fact is Nintendo's online service sucks we have no profiles and no way of re downloading anything if your 3DS gets lost,broken beyond repair or stolen.

I know, i was just scanning through the replies and saw. (Win win), and (long overdue) and thought maybe that had changed. I should have read the article. :)

Syl 04-28-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2115960)

What the hell? My 3DS broke, i sent it in to get repaired and I was able to keep all of my data and games and everything, hell they even transferred over all of my save data. My 3DS broke after I had already transferred all of my DSiware titles from my DSi to my 3DS. Did you know that was even an option?

Quote:

Also not true, i've heard stories of people who have had systems stolen and as long as they had proof of purchase (AKA: A club nintendo account) nintendo was able to give them back the downloadable games. Obviously save files and physical games weren't able to be retained.

Syl 04-28-2012 10:15 PM

For those curious my 3DS broke due to my own ineptitude back in June. Completely shattered the upper screen. It was no fault of the systems, simply poor decision making.

Agnostic Pope 04-28-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syl (Post 2116108)
What the hell? My 3DS broke, i sent it in to get repaired and I was able to keep all of my data and games and everything, hell they even transferred over all of my save data. My 3DS broke after I had already transferred all of my DSiware titles from my DSi to my 3DS. Did you know that was even an option?

Also not true, i've heard stories of people who have had systems stolen and as long as they had proof of purchase (AKA: A club nintendo account) nintendo was able to give them back the downloadable games. Obviously save files and physical games weren't able to be retained.

Hey...you broke your screen not the 3DS itself. Your data was never messed with just your LCD. I mean...really? :D

They have been doing this since when exactly? Also source?

lockwoodx 04-29-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzc (Post 2116015)
I know, i was just scanning through the replies and saw. (Win win), and (long overdue) and thought maybe that had changed. I should have read the article. :)

Hey, it's still long fucking overdue. I never said they were doing it correctly. :D

Syl 04-29-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope (Post 2116138)
Hey...you broke your screen not the 3DS itself. Your data was never messed with just your LCD. I mean...really? :D

They have been doing this since when exactly? Also source?

Since the DSi and the Wii. I don't have a source because it wasn't exactly a big story, considering it's how the system has always operated.

I'm sure that if my 3DS was broken to the point where my data was compromised I'd still retain all of my downloadable games, I know thats what happens to bricked Wiis, Consoles all have unique IDs, so as long as your ID is intact they can figure out what you've previously paid for.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, hell, its barely adequate, but its not the end all horribleness that you seem worried that it is.

here's a quick google search about it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268011
The last post in this thread.