Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MechWarrior Tactics Preview (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168430)

randir14 04-23-2012 04:41 PM

MechWarrior Tactics Preview

Ripten has a preview of MechWarrior Tactics.

Quote:

Should you desire to expand your collection, you can use earned or purchased in-game currency to buy new “stacks.” These function as boosters, with cards coming in common, uncommon, rare and ultra-rare varieties. Stacks will include stock mechs, chassis, resources and aesthetic options. Weapons and parts will come from different manufacturers with set bonuses in play for smart construction. It only makes sense that you’ll have better synergy among components designed for complementary installation.

When you are ready to field your team, you’ll issue a challenge and head to the battlefield. The only limit to the number of simultaneous games is your mech collection. Your bay has an infinite amount of room, so you won’t need to worry about purchasing garage expansions. However, each of your units may only be committed to a single battle at one time. Choosing to accept or decline a challenge is going to be about what units you have at your disposal at any given time.
Read the rest here.

lockwoodx 04-23-2012 04:45 PM

As much as the Mechwarrior card game use to suck, a Mecwarrior version of Skylanders could work.

This also promotes pay2win so I'm not touching it with a 10ft poll.

Anenome 04-23-2012 05:26 PM

Tell these guys I'm buying Hawken and ignoring their abuse of the MW name in this game :\

Sobran 04-23-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2114579)
Tell these guys I'm buying Hawken and ignoring their abuse of the MW name in this game :\

This... actually looks pretty cool. What Ben over at the Penny Arcade Report had to say about it was promising.

Anenome 04-24-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sobran (Post 2114599)
This... actually looks pretty cool. What Ben over at the Penny Arcade Report had to say about it was promising.

I don't mean the game is bad--I have no idea. I mean that when you say 'Mechwarrior', I expect first person robot combat. When you're doing turn-based 3rd person junk, slap the 'Battletech' label on then. There's how it's always been.

vallor 04-24-2012 04:01 PM

So... from what I can tell by this preview the game is limited to competitive MP only? No SP campaign or Co-op? Count me out; maybe I'll check out this hawken thing. Anyone have a link for a lazy person?

Anenome 04-24-2012 07:13 PM

vallor 04-24-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2114918)

So it's starsiege tribes with mechs? Do not want.

Guess I skip this gen of mech games.

Anenome 04-24-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2114922)
So it's starsiege tribes with mechs? Do not want.

Guess I skip this gen of mech games.

Being made by an indie dev trying to fix what's wrong with these games lately. It's also F2P.

vallor 04-25-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2114955)
Being made by an indie dev trying to fix what's wrong with these games lately. It's also F2P.

Indie dev != good game. Nor does F2P. The design is bunny-hopping via jump jets with mech trappings. Games move on, old school FPS mechanics are gone for a reason. Course maybe people look back and say "Wow, I miss a good bunny-hop match" and it will be successful. More power to 'em.

Anenome 04-25-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vallor (Post 2115048)
Indie dev != good game. Nor does F2P. The design is bunny-hopping via jump jets with mech trappings. Games move on, old school FPS mechanics are gone for a reason. Course maybe people look back and say "Wow, I miss a good bunny-hop match" and it will be successful. More power to 'em.

Lol, a clear case of reductio ad absurdum.

(That may be the most literary diss I've ever written :P )