Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Namco Responds to Dark Souls Anti-GFWL Petition (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168014)

ElektroDragon 04-17-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emabulator (Post 2113190)
Games for Windows Live is worthless bloat.

OPINION. NOT FACT. You wouldn't feel that way if you played on your PC and 360 equally (assuming you even have a 360, which it sounds like you don't.)

randir14 04-17-2012 02:40 PM

The game possibly won't use GFWL:

Quote:

A PC conversion of From Software's punishing console RPG was announced at Namco Bandai's Global Gamers Day in Las Vegas last week, after months of lobbying by fans. However, boxart of the game appeared to show the GFWL logo, prompting an angry reaction online; PC gamers have long complained that Microsoft's system is buggy and unreliable, and called for Namco to use Steamworks instead.

However, in an interview after the event, Uchiyama told us that the decision was by no means final. "[Live] is the established server that we used for the Xbox 360 version - that's the main reason we picked it," he said. "But the partnership decision is still ongoing. We might have another announcement soon regarding the platform we'll be using."
http://www.edge-online.com/news/dark...y-not-use-gfwl

Emabulator 04-17-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2113193)
OPINION. NOT FACT. You wouldn't feel that way if you played on your PC and 360 equally (assuming you even have a 360, which it sounds like you don't.)

The only purpose it servers is padding your gamerscore.

All PC gamers get out of it is bloatware and wretched matchmaking.

Gusj 04-17-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randir14 (Post 2113085)
It also region locks games, so in some countries people are forced to pirate because they cant buy it even if they wanted to.

I guess this means that it will lock them out of their copy of the game if they did manage to get a copy of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2113175)
Anti-GFWL petition?? Give me a break! I WANT GFWL on this game. And GFWL is fully compatible with Steam, so these fools need to stop the nerd rage.

I would put GFWL on every PC game made if I could.

Are you just ignoring all the real problems with GFWL? People are not hating on it because it's another DRM thing, they're hating it because it doesn't work. I'm OK with my games having xbox points - I can just ignore them. Can't ignore the giant issues that prevents me from playing the games.

My first issue with GFWL was when I upgraded to Windows 7 from the beta and discovered I couldn't use my save in Arkham Asylum on the new install because GFWL locked them to the old install. I was apparently 1-2 hours from the end.
The second one was when I bought Bioshock 2 on a steam sale. GFWL wouldn't update so I tried to play in offline mode. One hour into the game I discovered that I couldn't save the game because I was "obviously" using a pirated copy of the game.

ElektroDragon 04-17-2012 03:23 PM

OK I will admit, it has some issues.

Now if only Valve and Microsoft had teamed up and implemented things correctly, with Steam doing the DRM, and Microsoft doing the Live and Achievements part. Maybe Steamworks and Live simultaneous sign-in and matchmaking. Wouldn't that be great? That's what Valve did with PSN for Portal 2! I am signed into Steam and PSN at the same time, cross platform play, etc it all works gloriously!

Too bad there is this animosity between Valve and Microsoft for some reason, even though their HQs are basically right next to each other, each about 20 minutes from my house.

I don't understand why they had to go and create their own thing with GFWL instead of co-operating with Valve like Sony did. Maybe it was hubris by MS... or by Valve. Maybe one side tried and other refused. I guess we'll never know.

I wish I could drag Gabe and Ballmer into a room and broker a piece deal that would lead some kind of integration that makes everyone happy.

Zelos 04-17-2012 03:37 PM

I don't know a single PC gamer who cares for Achievements Dragon.

Anenome 04-17-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2113189)
Some inconveniences, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in my book. It only makes sense that PC only gamers wouldn't like it. But if you are equal parts PC and 360 gamer, or lean more 360, etc, you absolutely love the damn thing. And it works fine with Steam.

And its not going away. I've read Windows 8 greatly improves it and integrates it.

Honestly, if Steam has a proper metascore for Achievements, I wouldn't give a crap about GFWL. I'd have my own proper Steam gamerscore or level. But they don't, so I like GFWL.

For the thousandth time, no one gives a crap about achievements. Except you.

ElektroDragon 04-17-2012 03:56 PM

OK fine, I am unique. But just because I have unique opinion doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to voice it.

The only cure for me is to back in time to 2004 before these blasted "Achievements" and "Trophies" existed and I was just a long time, hard core PC gamer. But I can't quit the habit.

Anenome 04-17-2012 04:19 PM

Just buy a sports car like a normal person.

Emabulator 04-17-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2113228)
OK fine, I am unique. But just because I have unique opinion doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to voice it.

The only cure for me is to back in time to 2004 before these blasted "Achievements" and "Trophies" existed and I was just a long time, hard core PC gamer. But I can't quit the habit.

I don't care about achievements, but I can relate to where you're coming from. I've played enough MMOs to know what it's like to get caught up in things.

Emabulator 04-17-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2113236)

That's what I did. Zoooom!

Evil Avatar 04-17-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emabulator (Post 2113206)
The only purpose it servers is padding your gamerscore.

In that case, it should be required for EVERY PC game. ;)

Evil Avatar 04-17-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelos (Post 2113218)
I don't know a single PC gamer who cares for Achievements Dragon.

PC Gamer? Are those the people in the corner playing Starcraft II, WoW or Console leftovers? I pity those people. I do.

sixtyfps 04-17-2012 06:46 PM

We're playing indie games, Evil, and not cash-grab iOS-style horseshit. ;)

Also, GFWL fucked my Arkham Asylum save files in the ass twice. Goddamn that game-breaking filth.

sixtyfps 04-17-2012 06:48 PM

I'd like to add that if they decide to drop GFWL, I will avoid the wait-for-a-bargain stance I typically reserve for AAA titles.

Mozgus 04-17-2012 07:24 PM

No sale until they fix this. I've lost save files due to this horrible DRM and this is especially not the kind of game I wish for that to happen on.

sai tyrus 04-17-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2113261)
PC Gamer? Are those the people in the corner playing Starcraft II, WoW or Console leftovers? I pity those people. I do.

Pity is for the weak. For shame sir. Now give me sloppy seconds!

Agnostic Pope 04-17-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2113236)

Or start a new country in the middle of the ocean! :P

Syl 04-17-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Too bad there is this animosity between Valve and Microsoft for some reason, even though their HQs are basically right next to each other, each about 20 minutes from my house.
Do you not know anything about the history of Valve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Newell
Quote:

After having dropped out of Harvard University[2] Newell spent thirteen years working for Microsoft Corporation, ultimately becoming a "Microsoft Millionaire". Newell has described himself as "producer on the first three releases of Windows".[3] Inspired by Michael Abrash, who left Microsoft to work on the computer game Quake at id Software, Newell and another Microsoft employee, Mike Harrington, left Microsoft to found Valve in 1996.[3] He and Harrington used their money to fund Valve through the development of Half-Life.
That is a very nice way to put that Gabe left microsoft cause he didn't want to deal with their bullshit and then created Valve as the opposite kind of corporate structure. This is the reason that Valve is still completely private and gabe will not sell out to microsoft or anyone.

Technidon 04-17-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2113261)

Sigh.... I r dissapoint Evil... We know that you are hatin due to the awesome steam sales.... Or you just a closet MMO'er.....:rolleyes: