Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Firefall Intro Cinematic (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167732)

Emabulator 04-12-2012 03:00 PM

Firefall Intro Cinematic

Join the Arclight on its maiden voyage as it attempts to
break the laws of physics with faster than light travel.

lockwoodx 04-12-2012 03:27 PM

That came off as overly dramatic. Rages intro was even better.

gamename 04-12-2012 03:56 PM

Reminded me of Xenogears intro.

Anenome 04-12-2012 04:45 PM

Ah, so that's the story. In game there's a gigantic space cruiser crashed in the water some distance off shore.

Can't help but think that anything crashing from orbit wouldn't likely stay together in one piece.

And this intro doesn't do much to explain that the rest of the world is enveloped in the melding, a sort of alien nano-cloud in which travel is impossible, leaving Fortaleza as the last human-habitable place on the planet.

And the video only implies that alien intelligences interfered with the arc-fold and followed us back to earth through the fold.

But, while watching this I was loading up the game in a tabbed window, see yas! ^_^

Judas 04-12-2012 05:04 PM

Do the developers realize the name of the ship "Nostromo" is in the Alien Franchise?

Hope they don't get legal issues for using it.

Movie looks cool. Don't see how it fits in gameplay I've seen previously. A ftp shooter could be fun if it's not overly obnoxious in its sales.

Anenome 04-12-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas (Post 2111816)
Do the developers realize the name of the ship "Nostromo" is in the Alien Franchise?

Not only do they, but you'll find Sgt. Apone walking around Copa, and a couple other name from the movie(s). Haven't seen Hicks yet, but I'm sure he's here :P The premise of the game is pretty similar to what might happen if the xenomorph had been brought back to earth leading to societal collapse :P

A lot of players have also drawn strong parallel between the game and Starship Troopers, because you fight bugs a lot in the start area (they're actually large crabs, but it plays out similarly).

So far I've been pretty impressed, played every class and didn't hate any of them but rather liked them a good deal.

Mazzicc 04-12-2012 05:27 PM

Yeah, I had to read Anemone's post explaining that intro before it made any sense in relation to the game other than "the ship *fell* ... fire *fall*...i guess..."

It looked neat, but I want more meat on my story. I hope they give it to me, but I don't have high hopes with a f2p game.

Peelzbury 04-12-2012 05:34 PM

yep, nothing more critical to a shooter than having a compelling backstory.

Sloth 04-12-2012 05:38 PM

Ok I guess. Didn't really understand what was going on. Seems like if we had developed faster than light travel, we'd have a better system for destroying space junk about to destroy the planet too.

DingBat 04-12-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Movie looks cool. Don't see how it fits in gameplay I've seen previously. A ftp shooter could be fun if it's not overly obnoxious in its sales.

Alien didn't mint the name "Nostromo". They don't own the name.

Also, it was the name of the admiral commanding, not the ship.

DingBat 04-12-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Damn the lack of an "edit" feature. Anyway, apparently someone involved in the "alien franchise' is a fan of Joseph Conrad. And I doubt he'll be enforcing his copyright.

Pitpig 04-12-2012 06:02 PM

Were those professional voice actors? Didn't sound like it.

Anenome 04-12-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazzicc (Post 2111819)
Yeah, I had to read Anemone's post explaining that intro before it made any sense in relation to the game other than "the ship *fell* ... fire *fall*...i guess..."

It looked neat, but I want more meat on my story. I hope they give it to me, but I don't have high hopes with a f2p game.

Really? The story was put together in collaboration with Orson Scott Card and his daughter as the main writer. I wouldn't worry too much about the story.

rubbishfoo 04-12-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anenome (Post 2111850)
Really? The story was put together in collaboration with Orson Scott Card and his daughter as the main writer. I wouldn't worry too much about the story.

I guess we'll see story wise. I really enjoyed Enders Game... But Speaker for the Dead was like sitting in Catholic Mass all day.

Game is fun tho! How bout that?

Azzy 04-12-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peelzbury (Post 2111826)
yep, nothing more critical to a shooter than having a compelling backstory.

Bahahahaha

Mazzicc 04-12-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubbishfoo (Post 2111852)
I guess we'll see story wise. I really enjoyed Enders Game... But Speaker for the Dead was like sitting in Catholic Mass all day.

Game is fun tho! How bout that?

*Mormon mass

Evil Avatar 04-12-2012 09:58 PM

Ok, the game has a back-story. Can we get back to working on the gameplay now? Because what I played... One afternoon was more than enough.

Anenome 04-12-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2111870)
Ok, the game has a back-story. Can we get back to working on the gameplay now? Because what I played... One afternoon was more than enough.

All you played was versus on one map, right? There's some open world up now and five MP maps.

Skunk 04-13-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Avatar (Post 2111870)

Played this for the last time a few weeks ago and I have to agree. If it wasn't for my own desire to hope the game was better than what I saw, I wouldn't have even bothered to go back a second time.

For all the hype they generated, there really wasn't enough there to capture my interest. Except bugs, I did find bugs to log.

Anenome 04-13-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Except bugs, I did find bugs to log.
In a true beta, not a 'marketing' beta. Shocking.