Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gamebanshee Reviews Legend of Grimrock (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167094)

randir14 04-04-2012 05:28 PM

Gamebanshee Reviews Legend of Grimrock

Gamebanshee has reviewed Legend of Grimrock, and are overall very pleased with it.

Quote:

Legend of Grimrock, while going back twenty years to relive a game genre that has all but died out on the PC, is still a remarkably fun, engrossing and challenging game that manages to pick up all the best elements of its inspiration, while at the same time adding a few new twists, even if most of them are technical in nature. Providing about 15-20 hours of gameplay, the $15 USD asking price is a very, very fair sum considering both the amount of content and the quality of it. The potential for future dungeons to explore, both fan-made and official, will also hopefully provide a lot of extra replay value.

Moreover, and more importantly in my opinion, Legend of Grimrock proves without a shadow of a doubt that old-school game designs are more than capable and enjoyable in this day and age. It's a common myth thrown around that older titles died out because they were surpassed by more technically competent and "sophisticated" titles, but Grimrock demonstrates just how much of a fallacy that appeal to technological superiority is. Yes, there are a few balance issues and yes, it isn't quite as complicated an RPG as it could be... but those complaints are minor in the grand scheme, and miss out on just why the game is significant.
Read more

Grimorial 04-04-2012 05:38 PM

Third review I have read with nice words to say about this game. This is a definite buy.

dirtbag 04-04-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimorial (Post 2109598)
Third review I have read with nice words to say about this game. This is a definite buy.

These reviews make glad I sprang for the preorder.

Skunk 04-04-2012 07:13 PM

Was jonesed about getting it for the iOS or even Android but since they are doing PC only, I might pass.

I have so much on my PC-plate that I really can't consider anything for the next 2 years other than put it on my "when on sale" radar. Which, for a $15 game is hard to see happening...

Grimorial 04-04-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2109608)
Was jonesed about getting it for the iOS or even Android but since they are doing PC only, I might pass.

I have so much on my PC-plate that I really can't consider anything for the next 2 years other than put it on my "when on sale" radar. Which, for a $15 game is hard to see happening...

Prioritize!

Testcase 04-04-2012 09:12 PM

Why, it's on sale right NOW for 20% off! ;)

Azzy 04-04-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk (Post 2109608)

I have so much on my PC-plate that I really can't consider anything for the next 2 years ...

I'd have to say that at this point just start saying "no" to some games. I don't mean new games coming out, I mean games that are two years old but aren't good enough to have been played yet. Those shouldn't be on your "play before" list over games coming out that could be, and probably are, better.

Rommel 04-04-2012 10:13 PM

Move by squares and turn in segments ... in a polygonal world released in 2012. No-thank-you.

sai tyrus 04-05-2012 02:08 AM

Still cool to see them getting good feedback on old-school gameplay.

Qoz 04-05-2012 04:39 AM

YES! Made my preorder so much better. Can't wait to play.

Azrael 04-05-2012 06:09 AM

Looks good, wonder if their will be a demo? not convinced the gameplay will live up to the memories of my childhood

MrButtons 04-05-2012 08:33 AM

Darn, was going to post this video review, so I'll just drop it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Q1pRhK6J6K8#!

ElektroDragon 04-05-2012 11:08 AM

Can't wait for my copy in 6 days!