Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SoulCalibur 5's Story Mode Severely Cut (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166862)

Cygnus 04-01-2012 07:47 PM

SoulCalibur 5's Story Mode Severely Cut

Quote:

"Our first plan on the storyboard was that we had every characters' story, and actually we do have it in the studio, but time-wise, man power-wise we weren't able to do it and only one fourth of what we planned to do is in the game," said SC5 director Daishi Odashima

In its current form, SC5's story mode follows the adventures of Sophitia's children Pyrrha and Patrokolos. Similar story modes would have existed for every character, but developmental restrictions prevented that from happening.
Source: Joystiq

This is so nice to know for those who paid full price for the game :rolleyes:

sai tyrus 04-02-2012 01:46 AM

Indeed. Maybe the rest of the story will be DLC!Hooray! /sarcasm

Mav 04-02-2012 03:20 AM

Taiso 04-02-2012 05:15 AM

Sadly, the missing story modes are glaringly absent from this otherwise solid fighter.

What I don't understand is why they got rid of the fantastic quest modes from Soul Blade, Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur 2.

they kept in the stupid 'fight our made up characters' mode from Broken Destiny, however.

Namco should have found a way to keep the story modes in, or at least given every character an ending. This is a fighting game, but ending screens are a part of the genre and any time they're missing, the final product feels a little rushed and incomplete.

Skunk 04-02-2012 05:46 AM

No Grieve Edge, no purchase.

Sammael 04-02-2012 06:05 AM

This is what happens with EVERY game in development. It just sounds like they cut alot of stuff from making it a GAME.

Agnostic Pope 04-02-2012 06:07 AM

Meh the story mode was horrible either way.

PatrickRes9 04-02-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammael (Post 2108796)
This is what happens with EVERY game in development. It just sounds like they cut alot of stuff from making it a GAME.

Id like to bet right now that the story is eventually released as DLC. There. Full game without the story for $60. Story sold separately. Ridiculous.

Agnostic Pope 04-02-2012 06:09 AM

If this was a story driven game and not a fighting game I would agree. Right Bioware?

JazGalaxy 04-02-2012 07:45 AM

I think it's bizarre when studios put out a game with a solid fighting engine and none of the compelling side-content that makes me want to actually PLAY the solid fighting engine.

It doesn't have to be elaborate. The endings to Tekken 3 were more than enough, even if just presented in animated storyboards.

Game with endings gets dozens of hours out of me, game with "thanks for playing"g ets sold back in a day or two. It's WORTH the extra time and manpower.

The Radical Cleric 04-02-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cygnus (Post 2108751)

Source: Joystiq

This is so nice to know for those who paid full price for the game :rolleyes:

Do you have any idea how entitled and whiny that statement is? Are you joking?

Agnostic Pope 04-02-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazGalaxy (Post 2108815)
I think it's bizarre when studios put out a game with a solid fighting engine and none of the compelling side-content that makes me want to actually PLAY the solid fighting engine.

It doesn't have to be elaborate. The endings to Tekken 3 were more than enough, even if just presented in animated storyboards.

Game with endings gets dozens of hours out of me, game with "thanks for playing"g ets sold back in a day or two. It's WORTH the extra time and manpower.

You don't even get a thanks for playing...

ElektroDragon 04-02-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radical Cleric (Post 2108828)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with his statement. News with attitude, remember?

Cygnus 04-02-2012 11:01 AM

Troll much? A game is priced at $60 and the developer admits removing content...you don't find that insulting? BTW I did not buy the game so I am not entitled to it at all. ;) And ppl wonder why devs are closing left and right... :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radical Cleric (Post 2108828)

The Radical Cleric 04-02-2012 11:20 AM

Developers tend to think big when initially designing a game and then features get cut so the game can be released on time and on budget.

This happens with almost every game and that doesn't equate to the player getting ripped off. The only difference here is that the developer mentioned it so you feel the need to bitch about about it. Get over it, nobody owes you anything.

The Radical Cleric 04-02-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cygnus (Post 2108870)
Troll much? A game is priced at $60 and the developer admits removing content...you don't find that insulting? BTW I did not buy the game so I am not entitled to it at all. ;) And ppl wonder why devs are closing left and right... :rolleyes:

If you didn't buy it just shut the hell up. All this anti-developer negativity lately is really getting old.

Cygnus 04-02-2012 11:31 AM

Now look at who is whining and b!tching. :p Practice what you preach and simply don't reply to my thread... BTW I will continue to report the hypocrisy in the industry. Like fox news, I simply report, you decide ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radical Cleric (Post 2108882)
If you didn't buy it just shut the hell up. All this anti-developer negativity lately is really getting old.

gillman 04-02-2012 12:13 PM

Please, if what we got was the completed version of 1/6th of the story would we even want the rest? At best it just felt rushed, at worst there was no reason that they couldn't just use the in-game engine to make all the story--as they did for some of the important parts. The entire story mode felt like they forgot that they needed one and just put something out anyway.

Steve_Erhardt 04-02-2012 01:02 PM

I fully admit I'm not the most hardcore Soul Caliber player alive, but honestly... Were the "stories" ever really so good that they'll actually be missed now? My memory of them thus far is that they were okay, added a little bit of flavor, but ultimately all quite forgettable. Um... Volo lost his master. Ivy is Cervantes daughter. Yeah. After a handful of games, that's about all I remember "story"-wise.

I'm just looking forward to crazy combos and over-the-top chop-socky action. Not including several watery, hare-brained stories doesn't really rank as a deal-breaker for me.

Agnostic Pope 04-02-2012 01:05 PM

Well. After the patch many characters got NERFED. Now the game is boring.