Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Activision Blizzard Cuts 600 Jobs (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164632)

randir14 02-29-2012 11:39 AM

Activision Blizzard Cuts 600 Jobs

Reuters reports that Activision Blizzard has cut 600 jobs due to World of Warcraft's continuing loss of subscribers.

Quote:

Activision Blizzard, the largest U.S. video publisher, on Wednesday said it was cutting 600 jobs globally in the unit that makes Internet games including the company's most profitable property, "World of Warcraft," which has lost users in recent quarters.

Traditional video game companies like Activision and Electronic Arts have been trimming costs and releasing fewer games as the growth in the industry shifts toward free games on the Internet made by younger companies such as Zynga .

The layoffs will not have an effect on the company's financials this year and have already been included in the company's earnings forecast, Activision said in a statement.

"Their subscriber base for 'World of Warcraft' is getting smaller so they are adjusting their cost structure for that decline," said Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia.
Read more

SaintBlitzkrieg 02-29-2012 11:45 AM

Yet they are still probably making millions in profits.

lockwoodx 02-29-2012 11:46 AM

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...t-template.png

darkwarrior 02-29-2012 11:50 AM

Bet they didn't readjust Ol' Bobby's Wednesday bonus to keep a few people in work though.

lockwoodx 02-29-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkwarrior (Post 2099626)
Bet they didn't readjust Ol' Bobby's Wednesday bonus to keep a few people in work though.

Agreed. When you read that the company who prints money is cutting jobs simply to "streamline" themselves.... it's always little people getting hurt so the CEOs can continue stirring their martinis with platinum swizzle sticks.

Cygnus 02-29-2012 12:14 PM

The goose is no longer laying golden eggs? No wonder kotick has a new gig.

gzsfrk 02-29-2012 12:27 PM

Cripes, way to reward the people who have made it possible for you to eat your gold-flake encrusted truffles, Kottick. Seriously--when a company is still turning a very healthy profit, it's disgusting for upper-management to simply sweep in and ruin hundreds of lives all in the name of "streamlining".

What a piece of complete and utter garbage Activision's red-headed wonder CEO is.

SaintBlitzkrieg 02-29-2012 12:31 PM

I dont see why they couldn't streamline while including these people.

DeadPixel 02-29-2012 12:32 PM

This is strange indeed, I would have expected them to reroute the forces towards their new MMO. It's hard to find and re-hire decent talent again, but maybe most of these jobs are for support/qa/customer service employees who don't really contribute to the development cycle.

DeadPixel 02-29-2012 12:34 PM

I take my message back, of course support/qa/customer service people contribute to the over-all picture. I was trying to say the people they selected were not key individuals that would be considered for new projects and with the old project dying out it's time to let them go. Every company goes through a clean-up period.

Coldeath 02-29-2012 12:36 PM

well it held in there for some time..but it's the circle of life

lockwoodx 02-29-2012 01:25 PM

and before anyone says "oh this is all on activision, blizzard are still saints" need I remind you that in order to inflate their numbers and attract activision in the first place, blizzard was counting all of those asian internet cafe customers as "subscribers", even if they only played for an hour and never came back.

Blizzard wanted the big bucks, and now they have to deal with the cold hard reality of what money does to people.

Sloth 02-29-2012 01:37 PM

Rather flimsy excuse to cut jobs. They act like WoW is on the verge of going under. It's probably 3x as profitable as the next highest grossing MMO.

Whimbrel 02-29-2012 01:57 PM

Wow, maybe there really is a mass exodus from all other MMO's to SWTOR. I thought that was just a rumor.

Roc Ingersol 02-29-2012 02:16 PM

WoW's customer service has always been dirt slow. If they were ever 'overstaffed' it must have happened in the last 6 months or so.

It seems more likely that someone's trying to protect profit growth by cutting cost centers.

I guess I can only keep on hoping I never actually need anything from the service department.

lockwoodx 02-29-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whimbrel (Post 2099679)
Wow, maybe there really is a mass exodus from all other MMO's to SWTOR. I thought that was just a rumor.

Until you play SWTOR or read their forums.

Dzog 02-29-2012 02:22 PM

This is good news... for the Gamers out there... maybe, just maybe, we can finally come out of this stagnate period of time of MMO's being the same old same old... crappy grinds... as much as I loved WoW, the first couple of years, I have come to the painful realization that WoW stifled the MMO market... in such a huge way....

I pray to the Videogame gods that we have a new Era filled with NEW and INVIGORATED MMO Designs that Master the Craft of innovation and design! :)

Agnostic Pope 02-29-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gzsfrk (Post 2099641)
Cripes, way to reward the people who have made it possible for you to eat your gold-flake encrusted truffles, Kottick. Seriously--when a company is still turning a very healthy profit, it's disgusting for upper-management to simply sweep in and ruin hundreds of lives all in the name of "streamlining".

What a piece of complete and utter garbage Activision's red-headed wonder CEO is.

History repeats itself. See Circuit City America's last stand against Worst Buy.

Rommel 02-29-2012 04:02 PM

I see nothing wrong with this--their work needs have lowered. Does everyone's job need to be protected until the employer goes out of business entirely? Are private organizations supposed to have employees, or wards?

MusicToEat 02-29-2012 04:22 PM

My, obviously limited, experience when submitting a ticket with 3 different MMO's

LOTRO: 15 minute wait
SWTOR: 5 minute wait
WOW: 2 day wait and then ticket mysteriously canceled with no contact

When you're the big kid on campus you can get away with terrible customer service, when you're hemorrhaging subscribers that's when you need to step it up, not cut it back.