Evil Avatar

Evil Avatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/index.php)
-   News Items (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Syndicate Review (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164049)

randir14 02-21-2012 02:54 AM

Syndicate Review
 

IGN has a review of Starbreeze Studios' Syndicate remake, they give the game a 7.5.

Quote:

Bluish hues dominate the journey through Syndicate's futuristic setting. While developer Starbreeze Studios paints blinding lights around almost every corner, the world maintains a clean and simple design, while also mixing styles with New York slums, Atlantic sea bases, and the alleyways of China. The settings, characters, and tech elements look really polished -- even if a train station in Los Angeles looks exactly like one in China. The DART overlay (the chip's analytical slow-motion view) paints a great sci-fi picture, and the onscreen reflection of damage marks a great pairing of visuals and context. When the screen scrambles like a loose HDMI cable, the full gravity of having a chip implant comes to life.

Manipulating the world using the DART chip is what sets Syndicate apart from other shooters. Under this shooter's skin, there's a puzzle game hiding amidst the gunfire -- one of Syndicate's best features. Using a hacking mechanic called breaching, players can enact horrors upon enemies' chips, making them kill themselves, shoot their comrades, or drop to the ground, stunned. By juggling these skills to destroy groups of enemies, there's a strategic sub-layer of action that goes beyond pulling the trigger.
Read more

Anenome 02-21-2012 03:16 AM

Not sure this game deserves the name :\

sai tyrus 02-21-2012 03:41 AM

Sounds like I'll wait for a sale. Then it's co op time!

alienchild 02-21-2012 07:02 AM

I'll pick it up when its around $25 or so.

lockwoodx 02-21-2012 07:04 AM

A 7.5 these days is like a 2.0 a decade ago.

mrbrick 02-21-2012 07:29 AM

I feel like this wasn't the game starbreeze should have made. Syndicate didn't need the FPS treatment. At all.

monkey13 02-21-2012 07:55 AM

Argh. Still so many mixed feelings about this. I want it to be a good FPS and sell. Not because I want to play it but because if the IP is alive and well I think there is more chance of a proper Syndicate. If it dies now it may die forever.

At the same time part of me is glad that just trying to stick this universe into FPS has tanked.

Dag-Sabot 02-21-2012 08:11 AM

I cannot believe this blatant cash in attempt failed.

Azrael 02-21-2012 08:27 AM

I will pick it up when it hits the bargain bin ($5-10)... but i'll have to have it imported. PS3 is the way cause no way am i supporting that origin crap

MrWheeler460 02-21-2012 09:57 AM

Change that from blue to yellow and you have Deus Ex, same game (or better) but less $$$. Not saying Syndicate is bad, just saying :)

Syl 02-21-2012 10:00 AM

cmon starbreeze, you're better than that!

Anenome 02-21-2012 10:49 AM

Syndicate really should be a 3rd person shooter. Let's start there :P

ElektroDragon 02-21-2012 10:57 AM

They were being very kind... based on the demo I'd give it a 5/10.

eEK! 02-21-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2097551)
A 7.5 these days is like a 2.0 a decade ago.

especially from IGN

divinechaos 02-21-2012 11:53 AM

IGN also gave the Guitar Hero games 8+ scores so I don't really trust them. I love Starbreeze, Chronicles of Riddick is in my top 10 FPS, but the money is tight and this game will have to wait.

Anenome 02-21-2012 12:04 PM

So we all agree, IGN is the worst of the review-whores.

lockwoodx 02-21-2012 12:17 PM

lol apparently giantbomb gave this a 5 out of 5 stars and are going to do a live show on it in 15 minutes. Normally I trust those guys, but every once in a while they shill something hard where it's obvious and the fans just get pissed at them. This is likely one of those times lol.

Cygnus 02-21-2012 12:20 PM

Same here..I was not impressed with the demo...AT ALL. And I wanted to like it. It just didn't feel right to me. It looks nice but plays like sh!t

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElektroDragon (Post 2097611)
They were being very kind... based on the demo I'd give it a 5/10.


MrWheeler460 02-21-2012 12:22 PM

I really don't trust IGN, giantbomb or gamespot etc...if it's not a game I know for sure I am getting I wait and see the word around the camp fire here at EA.

Pluvious 02-21-2012 12:32 PM

No surprise there.. I could see that it was a rental at best. Too many good games to be bothered with this drek.

Suicidal ShiZuru 02-21-2012 12:44 PM

Anything above 60% is shill to the max.

lockwoodx 02-21-2012 12:50 PM

I couldn't stand 10 minutes. It's obvious his 5 star review is 100% personal and the game looks like MW2 with mods in action. lol

Dag-Sabot 02-21-2012 01:42 PM

...giantbomb gave it 100% *headexplodes*

Agnostic Pope 02-21-2012 02:11 PM

Wow. Giantbomb is off my "I trust these guys reviews" list then.

BabyJesus 02-21-2012 02:22 PM

Guys, all from 1 or 2 reviews?

Demo had promise, I thought. Not best of the year good but a nice diversion. If I only had 4 xbox friends that are up at 2am when I do most of my gaming (for co-op). Either no one talks on XBOX anymore or they spam the mics or they are in private parties which sucks balls. Used to be able to catch 1 or 3 people that weren't asshats and play a few hours with. Not anymore.

lockwoodx 02-21-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyJesus (Post 2097684)
Guys, all from 1 or 2 reviews?

Demo had promise, I thought. Not best of the year good but a nice diversion. If I only had 4 xbox friends that are up at 2am when I do most of my gaming (for co-op). Either no one talks on XBOX anymore or they spam the mics or they are in private parties which sucks balls. Used to be able to catch 1 or 3 people that weren't asshats and play a few hours with. Not anymore.

It's broken on the PC, Mediocre on the 360, and choppy crap on the PS3 due to how they mismanage ram on the console. Nobody is rating the game on what it stands for, just what it is.

Is it a FPS? Yes
Is it a FPS with cool tweaks mods typically bring for free? Yes
Is it a lifeless shell of a FPS that doesn't pay tribute to the original game. Yes
Is it an EA title so the multiplayer servers will be gone in a few years? Yes

Syl 02-21-2012 02:35 PM

From the reviews i've read the multiplayer is apparently absolutely awesome.

The singleplayer is a poor mans dues ex. Very poor.

BabyJesus 02-21-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockwoodx (Post 2097691)
It's broken on the PC, Mediocre on the 360, and choppy crap on the PS3 due to how they mismanage ram on the console. Nobody is rating the game on what it stands for, just what it is.

Is it a FPS? Yes
Is it a FPS with cool tweaks mods typically bring for free? Yes
Is it a lifeless shell of a FPS that doesn't pay tribute to the original game. Yes
Is it an EA title so the multiplayer servers will be gone in a few years? Yes

Ok, didnt know about the PS3 or PC problems.

In regard to the servers being gone at some point, I will be done with it looooong before that time expires. I play games and put them away, there are few games that get even a second look from me after I am done with them. There are a few exceptions like the Civ series, Quake 2 and Quake Arena. That I occasionally go back to and play for a while.

DeadPixel 02-22-2012 07:06 AM

It's really mind boggling why developers don't do more research of what the die hard fans really want. How about setting up a simple forum and ask your fans on what kind of game you should make? This especially applies to games like Syndicate, which targets the older pre-COD/Battlefield crowd.

They had this coming to them.

Dag-Sabot 02-22-2012 07:25 AM

are they trying to get on the board of directors at coke?

Anenome 02-22-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPixel (Post 2097848)
It's really mind boggling why developers don't do more research of what the die hard fans really want. How about setting up a simple forum and ask your fans on what kind of game you should make? This especially applies to games like Syndicate, which targets the older pre-COD/Battlefield crowd.

They had this coming to them.

Because our stupid legal structure makes that difficult to do without liability :\


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.