PDA

View Full Version : Videogame BAFTA Winners Revealed

lost
03-11-2009, 04:29 AM
http://evavhost.com/i/news/supermariogalaxy.jpg

The GAME British Academy Video Games Awards were held last night and the awards handed out were as follows.

Action and adventure Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Artistic achievement - LittleBigPlanet (PS3)

Best game - Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Casual - Boom Blox (Wii)

Gameplay - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Handheld - Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

Multiplayer - Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)

Original score - Dead Space (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Sports - Race Driver: GRID (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Story and character - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

Strategy - Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (DS, PS3, Xbox 360)

Technical achievement - Spore (Mac/PC)

Use of audio - Dead Space (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)

The Bafta Fellowship To Nolan Bushnell, creator of Pong and founder of Atari

Bafta ones to watch award - Boro-Toro

That makes COD4 a big winner and gives Super Mario Galaxy some well deserved respect.

COD4 is pretty much awesome.

Fizzl
03-11-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised by these results.

It's good to see L4D and Professor Layton in there, can't argue with COD4.

I think I was expecting to just see GTA across the board and some casual shit I've never herd of.

lost
03-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Me too. They've actually really thought about it this year which is great.

The only one I have a slight issue with is Spore's technical achievement but I guess the original, more scientific game was under all that other shit.

Ulysses
03-11-2009, 07:18 AM
COD4 won for..story and character ? Heh, ok.

thejeromer
03-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Um, are their awards not based on a year by year basis? Specifically, CoD4 and Mario Galaxy, while fantastic, were both games from 2007. So why are they in there winning awards with games from 2008?

I'm not really familiar with the British Academy so maybe they don't work like similar agencies in North America where in 2009 they hold award ceremonies for things that came out in 2008.

Derella
03-11-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm not surprised about Spore winning for technical achievement. Despite the blah gameplay, the procedural texturing/animation, content seeding, etc... is really impressive.

I'm surprised COD4 won for story and character. In all fairness, I never played it, but I just didn't expect to see a shooter win in that category. I assumed something like Mass Effect would win for character/story.

Borys
03-11-2009, 09:57 AM
COD4 is pretty fucking awesome. It looks dated as hell but it still rocks.

CapnBob
03-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Um, are their awards not based on a year by year basis? Specifically, CoD4 and Mario Galaxy, while fantastic, were both games from 2007. So why are they in there winning awards with games from 2008?

I'm not really familiar with the British Academy so maybe they don't work like similar agencies in North America where in 2009 they hold award ceremonies for things that came out in 2008.

Those were 2007 games in North America. Europe typically has to wait a bit longer for their games than we do.

Jotoco
03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
I like how there is a "Casual Boom" category.

But I never heard of the game Blox... Boom Blox though, is pretty awesome.

DeuceMojo
03-11-2009, 02:51 PM
COD4 is definitely one of the best games ever.
Anyone played Civ: Revolutions on the console lately? I still have that game, but stopped playing it when I realized that multi-player games can't be saved and tend to last like 6 hours. Is it any different lately with patches?

DeadRegime
03-11-2009, 10:39 PM

I don't know if this is it, or if it's the fact that Europe often has later release dates than US and Japan, but they didn't do a BAFTA games award show last year because the one they did in 2007 got bashed something terrible for having games that weren't released during that votingyear, or weren't even finished when the awards were announced. So they took a year off, revamped, hoped everyone would forget, and came out swinging for some credibility.

I am curious about the win for Story and Character...the story was kinda weak and disjointed, and the characters were just names...nothing really well-rounded or developed there.