PDA

View Full Version : Activision Likes Bullshot

modeps
01-29-2009, 09:25 AM
IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/949/949114p1.html?RSSwhen2009-01-28_171000&RSSid=949114), hot on the heels of their PSP2 snafu has a story regarding Activision and a curious job posting that cropped up (you'll get the joke in a second). It appears as though they're specifically hiring a bullshot artist to assist in creating phony screenshots for their games.

"The Art Services Screenshot Associate provides support services to all engaged departments: PR, Marketing, Production and development studios to produce high-quality screenshots, model renders and other art assets. Typical end use will include screenshots for editorial, packaging, advertising, manuals and more, as needed."

Sounds simple enough. Read a bit further on the posting and the last job responsibility is to, "Perform advanced retouching of screenshots and teach skills to others as needed." So, if you'd like to retouch screenshots to make games look better than they actually are, you can apply here.

pwned.

McNinja
01-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I would like to point out 2 things:

At least Activision is saving us from some useless discussions about bullshots. We can now just assume all of their stuff is doctored. *citizenkaneclap.gif*
IGN has posted interesting, relevant news about the games industry for the first time in a long time. I even clicked through to their website. Amazing.

drakkarim
01-29-2009, 10:12 AM
doesn't every industry do that when it comes to marketing? we should start a class action against the advertising industry.

Mr.Green
01-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I barely ever look at screenshots anyway. Gameplay movies speak a lot more to me and gametrailers.com has more than I have time to watch.

Darkholmme
01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
doesn't every industry do that when it comes to marketing? we should start a class action against the advertising industry.

You bring up a good point, and one that brings up a question of difference between media and other products.

On the one hand, it's almost obvious to claim that the retouching of a game is akin to the retouching of a painting up for purchase: since an integral part of a game product is its graphics, such supplementation dangers on misrepresentation. However, aren't the aesthetic qualities of a product always important, making such retouching is either always misleading or always acceptable? I don't have an answer, just an interesting question.

Froggy
01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
I often look at the shots in the game details on the 360 so I can see what the game might look like on my TV. If I see a bunch of jaggies and poor textures, I might just pass. If these were doctored, artificially antialiased, and retouched, I might indeed buy a game on false pretenses. So thanks, Activision, for killing my confidence in your company twice this fiscal year.

Demo_Boy
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Froggy: only twice????

AversionFX
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
I avoid screenshots almost entirely, because screenshots provided are never what the game actually looks like. So, doctored or not, they're not going to represent what the game will look like when I am actually playing.

Krytie
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I like screenshots because they usually hold me over until the actual assets start coming out. Once videos start coming out those are the way to go.

dirtbag
01-29-2009, 05:15 PM
I barely ever look at screenshots anyway. Gameplay movies speak a lot more to me and gametrailers.com has more than I have time to watch.

I think I stopped looking at screenshots after I figured our that the pictures on the backs of my Commodore 64 games were blatant lies. After that, I just mentally adjust all screenshots down a notch or two.

Froggy
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Froggy: only twice????

Well, twice that I can think of. There's been a downward spiral since Tony Hawk 786: Xtreme River Skateboarding.