PDA

View Full Version : "Wii-itis" Strikes Britain

Emabulator
12-22-2008, 07:26 AM
An article (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2057692.ece) in today's issue of The Sun claims 10 people a week in Britain are hospitalized with "Wii-itis".

Dr Dev Mukerjee, of Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex, said: “There has been a 100 per cent increase in patients complaining of Wii-itis.

“I’ve seen many patients aged between eight and 13 — and I’ve seen adults.

“It’s possible that Wii-itus may lead to rheumatism and arthritis in later life. Patients often have inflammation of the shoulder or wrist.”

Others have a ligament injury dubbed Wii-knee which some have blamed on the popular Wii-Fit game.
Let's hope Wii Speak does not cause a world wide epidemic of Gingivitis!

Wraith
12-22-2008, 07:48 AM
"My only regret... is that I have...... Wii-itis!"

Suicidal ShiZuru
12-22-2008, 07:49 AM
I really wish the Wii wasnt called the "Wii" at this point... As for the uh, "injuries", maybe if they played it properly instead of imitating seizure victims like most people I see playing it would help although the age range is rather telling.

Roc Ingersol
12-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Leave it to the news to make it sound like a bad thing that previously inactive people are becoming more active. Sure, people should pay more attention to form and moderation - but it's far better to have a generation with Wii-Elbow than Tank-Ass.

abso
12-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Why hasn't anyone done the story about how these people are suffering from comparable injuries that you would have from exercising in the same manner. Why hasn't anyone commented about how this is no different from people doing no exercise for a week, and then running 3 miles? Yeah, no shit they are sore. They are out of shape! Welcome to exercising!

However, even with that said, you *are* stressing portions of your body for an extended period of time. For example, in point-and-click type games, you will spend a large portion of your game time with your arm fully extended, resulting in an uneven distribution of stress to only your pointing arm.

I think what we are seeing here, is that due to the increased use of real movement, games need to be designed around 5 minute "active" sessions, followed by a couple minutes of "rest" sessions (i.e. cut scenes). This will help to give the body time to recover, and might help to mitigate injury claims.

Telling people they need to take breaks only goes so far. Actually being responsible within the game itself models that correct behavior.

drakkarim
12-22-2008, 11:32 AM
i am so calling (again) a future class action against N for inducing carpal tunnel in little kids :)

vherub
12-22-2008, 11:57 AM
those people are lucky to be alive, would have thought their ancestors would have perished at some point

sixtyfps
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Got Wii-knee? Weenie.

Reverend Meta
12-23-2008, 05:38 AM
This is Wiidiculous.