PDA

View Full Version : EA Restructures, Closing NFS / Skate Developer Black Box

modeps
12-19-2008, 11:24 AM
A little while ago, it was reported that EA would be laying off some folks... now we've got a few specifics. Shacknews (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56469) is reporting that the publishing giant will be shuttering at least nine development houses, including Black Box who is responsible for the Need for Speed and Skate series.

EA expects the plan will "result in annual cost savings of approximately $120 million," along with restructuring charges of around $55-65 million over the coming quarters.

The publisher also declared a newfound focus on "hit games with higher margin opportunities," following word that it will be canceling several unspecified games. However, the company stressed that it is still "committed to taking creative risks."

Black Box recently released the critical failure Need for Speed: Undercover and aided in the creation of Skate It for Wii and Nintendo DS. Skate 2, presumed to be the team's last Black Box-branded title, will hit PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on January 21.

We'll have to wait to see what games are actually going to be canceled...

Flatpicker
12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
That sucks.
Darn thing is we probably won't see it's affects until the next generation of consoles.
So we really can't project how bad this will suck for years.

My fear is that 2010/2011 will be a creative vortex of gaming suck due to the 08/09 economy. Then it will snowball in the wrong direction.

Beyond that, sorry to hear anybody loses their jobs.

Worldcrafter
12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
It figures that the year EA pushes for new IP and creativity a recession burns them. I've been impressed with the changes EA has been making and hope this doesn't lead them back to simply churning sequels for cash.

LilAbner
12-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Agreed, Worldcrafter. As much as people love to hate EA, you gotta give them credit for doing new franchises.

ResistanceAddict
12-19-2008, 12:02 PM
WTF? Are games gonna be a thing of the past soon or what? Wow...

bobmitch
12-19-2008, 12:08 PM
WTF? Are games gonna be a thing of the past soon or what? Wow...

I doubt it. It seems to me that most development houses being canned are those that are responsible for below par products.

The financial crisis seems to be simply accelerating the demise of poorly managed / performing institutions, whether be they software houses or major banks.

lost
12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Skate a below-par product?

Hopefullythey just relocate that particular team.

OmegaVader
12-19-2008, 01:49 PM
what the hell, didn't Skate outsell Tony Hawk when it came out?

laggerific
12-19-2008, 02:05 PM
It figures that the year EA pushes for new IP and creativity a recession burns them. I've been impressed with the changes EA has been making and hope this doesn't lead them back to simply churning sequels for cash.

I thought that was what they meant by going back to high margin franchises...going back to sequel churn.

ElektroDragon
12-19-2008, 03:09 PM
So the dead bird I saw underneath the EA lit sign in downtown Vancouver WAS an omen!! Holy cow.

Chimpbot
12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I thought that was what they meant by going back to high margin franchises...going back to sequel churn.

At least we got to like EA for a little while. It was a nice change.