PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads Mall Mod Coming to Left 4 Dead

modeps
11-22-2008, 05:59 AM
It didn't take long for people to start working on a new map for Left 4 Dead that resembles the mall from the remake to George A. Romero's classic, Dawn of the Dead. According to Giant Bomb (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/heres-your-left-4-dead-shopping-mall-map/561/), the Crossroads Mall is coming to L4D via the awesome PC mod community.

Someone's already got you covered on that front. The original, the greatest of all zombie shopping malls, the Crossroads Mall from Dawn of the Dead, is forthcoming in Left 4 Dead format. Here's a work-in-progress video of it (sans undead).

This map was already in existence as a part of the Half-Life 2 mod No More Room in Hell, which is a cooperative us-against-neverending-hordes-of-zombies game from back before Valve figured out how to turn that idea into a commercial prospect. Author Darth_Brush is porting the Crossroads Mall map to Left 4 Dead, and l4dmods.com says it will be exclusively hosting the map once it's ready for consumption. The site also promises a "special little surprise...real soon now" pertaining to the map. So check back there real soon now!

Seems like L4D is all about bottlenecks and choke points, hopefully they call pull this off in something as airy as a mall.

modeps
11-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Here's the video they talk about:
atuZvbEPsAg

Steve_Erhardt
11-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Looks pretty sweet!

Blog
11-22-2008, 07:46 AM
I'd hit that.

ElfShotTheFood
11-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Now they just need to make a mod to give the zombies blue skin and it'll be perfect. ;)

Ozena
11-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Oh man, that'd be awesome just for the fuzzy feeling it'd give me playing in the mall.

Too bad the 360 won't see it.

RorschachCCCLX
11-22-2008, 09:28 AM
It didn't take long for people to start working on a new map for Left 4 Dead that resembles the mall from George A. Romero's classic Dawn of the Dead. According to Giant Bomb (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/heres-your-left-4-dead-shopping-mall-map/561/), the Crossroads Mall is coming to L4D via the awesome PC mod community.

Seems like L4D is all about bottlenecks and choke points, hopefully they call pull this off in something as airy as a mall.
Sorry to be a detail bitch, but the crossroads mall was NOT in George A. Romero's (a man I had dinner with this year, *brag*) that was the Monroeville Mall. this is the mall from the less thrilling remake.

Your Good Twin
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Ironically, his map will (presumably) be completely unfaithful to the 2004 movie because zombies are almost NEVER actually IN the mall. And the presumption is that these environs will be filled with zombies.

I could get into a discussion about how the greatest flaw in the remake is that they made a zombies + mall movie without the zombies IN the mall part, but dammit, it's Saturday.

TheBot
11-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Be sure to check out l4dmods.com for more mod information on upcoming mods, like a 28 Days Later mod!

BloodPack
11-22-2008, 10:56 AM
this is the mall from the less thrilling remake.
Someone is a Romero nuthugger, if you cant realize that the dotd remake is one of the best zombie movies ever made (and MUCH better than the original) then your opinion shouldn't really matter.

Romero is washed up, he made the Zombie genre but he sure as hell didn't perfect it. (just look at Diary of the Dead, one of the worst movies ever, let alone one of the worst zombie movies).

modeps
11-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Sorry to be a detail bitch, but the crossroads mall was NOT in George A. Romero's (a man I had dinner with this year, *brag*) that was the Monroeville Mall. this is the mall from the less thrilling remake.

Fair enough. I've updated the post :)

grundel
11-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Romero is washed up, he made the Zombie genre but he sure as hell didn't perfect it. (just look at Diary of the Dead, one of the worst movies ever, let alone one of the worst zombie movies).

though the remake is excellent the classic by far is better. Diary of the dead is not that bad, it is watchable and there are far worse recent movies in the zombie genre that have been released such as the new Day of the dead. Seriously only the first 10 minutes of that movie took place in the day time, wtf?

GammaLeak
11-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Since Valve is here in Seattle, I briefly hoped that this would be our real Crossroads Mall.

RorschachCCCLX
11-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Someone is a Romero nuthugger, if you cant realize that the dotd remake is one of the best zombie movies ever made (and MUCH better than the original) then your opinion shouldn't really matter.

I thought very little of Diary of the dead, but Romero's vision is THE Dawn of the Dead, I never cared about any of the characters in the remake, and it rewrote and trampled on zombie lore, like simply dying causing you to come back. Movies like Martin, Monkey Shines and Dawn-Night of the Living Dead are proof Romero's talent and films like Diary of the Dead and Bruiser are proof of his flaws.

Further more, Fuck You.

RorschachCCCLX
11-22-2008, 08:07 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cid0202082050ba1.jpg Where at met Mr. Romero at a function celebrating the 40th anniversary of Night of the Living Dead.

scott topic
11-23-2008, 05:38 PM
monroeville mall or nothing