PDA

View Full Version : Gore Verbinski Doing Bioshock Film

Dr.Finger
08-05-2008, 03:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned we're still waiting for the first great games-to-movies adaptation. There are a number of reasons why that hasn't happened yet - games generally value play over story and studios are hesitant to put big bucks into the production after all the green they spend licensing the property - even after more than 20 years of trying. Well all of that may change in the near future, because a big time director is adapting one of the most critically acclaimed games of recent memory. Gore Verbinski is making a BioShock movie. Gore Verbinski is set to direct an adaptation of Take-Two's hugely popular videogame title Bioshock. According to Variety, this is the first project in the recent three-year first-look deal that the director signed with Universal Pictures.

The Aviator screenwriter John Logan is adapting the story for the big screenThe Bioshock movie it tentatively slated for a 2010 release.

Sources - TMB (http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/08/gore-verbinski-takes-on-bioshock); Movie Web (http://www.movieweb.com/news/96/30396.php).

I'm not so sure I want a direct adaptation of BioShock. Frankly, I'd rather see the movie show the Fall of Rapture; in essence be a prequel to the game.

Talon-
08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
This news sounds familiar... (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50496)

Loganrapp
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
At least it's Gore Verbinski, an actual, legitimate director.

The movie could still suck, but at least right now it's not a given.

Wackman3000
08-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I would hope that they base it more along the ideas of Rapture and its demise, since if they based it closer to the games events, I would find it extremely boring, since there's maybe 6 characters in the game.

PsychoticVile
08-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I hope they just do the story from the game and don't try to do some lame off shoot story.

crazyd
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
He may be a big time director, but that doesn't mean he isn't shit. The Pirates sequels? The Mexican? While it will probably be better then anything Uwe Boll has put out, I have little to no hope for this movie.

Rommel
08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Prequels suck. I like a little discovery and ambiguity. Being walked, step by step, to an inevitability is boring.

pabloano
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Well, he's the brother of a good family friend... it should be noted that he also wrote the screenplay for

Gladiator
The Last Samurai
Sweeney Todd
Star Trek: Nemesis
The Time Machine

Sooo, he's by no means new to the game. I'd be pretty confident to give him a thumbs up on this project. I tend to be a fan of his work, and so does the box office.

Sl1pstream
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
He may be a big time director, but that doesn't mean he isn't shit. The Pirates sequels? The Mexican? While it will probably be better then anything Uwe Boll has put out, I have little to no hope for this movie.

You forgot The Ring. Yay for cheap scares, screw atmosphere. That's going to be the main problem here too, I think.

Also, Mousehunt. I liked The Mexican though.

violentp
08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
You forgot The Ring. Yay for cheap scares, screw atmosphere.
Plus it was nothing more that a remake.

Adam Blue
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Sounds great. The story would do good for a movie. And Gore is a friend of Bad Religion.

But Dead or Alive is a fucking fantastic videogame movie. One of my favorite movies ever.

Sl1pstream
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Plus it was nothing more that a remake.

The original was a lot better.

crazyd
08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
You forgot The Ring. Yay for cheap scares, screw atmosphere. That's going to be the main problem here too, I think.
Yeah, figured I'd let The Ring slide, since some people seem to like it for some reason. Overall, I think the movie is a bad idea, and this guy is a bad choice.

Not sure who a good one would be, though. Maybe Guillermo del Toro? I dunno.

B_Money
08-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Sounds great. The story would do good for a movie. And Gore is a friend of Bad Religion.

But Dead or Alive is a fucking fantastic videogame movie. One of my favorite movies ever.
I'm glad somebody liked that movie as much as I did. As far as I'm concerned, that's a video game movie done right. They kept the theme and feel of the movie, and did something fun and entertaining with the story.

DaXIthR
08-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Verbinski did do The Weatherman, with Nicholas Cage. I have to give him some points, and the first Pirates movie was fun.

That said, the director of Silent Hill was supposed to have some weight behind him. I never saw it myself, despite being a fan of the games, so that in itself is a blow.

Also, I remember when Peter Jackson was attached to direct the Halo movie. And when he got Neill Whats-his-name on board to direct. It's the same concerns over and over.

By 2010 we'll have BioShock 2, so one has to wonder where this movie fits into the lore.

violentp
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
The original was a lot better.

Hells yeah. As was the Eye and Ju-On.

Steve_Erhardt
08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm not so sure I want a direct adaptation of BioShock. Frankly, I'd rather see the movie show the Fall of Rapture; in essence be a prequel to the game.

Nah, I'd rather see it more like the game, where this unknowing guy walks into a freaking disaster zone with no idea what's going on.

Plus, if they did a prequel, we totally wouldn't get that most supreme head-fuck twist... I'd be crushed without that awesome reveal in the movie.

B_Money
08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Nah, I'd rather see it more like the game, where this unknowing guy walks into a freaking disaster zone with no idea what's going on.

Plus, if they did a prequel, we totally wouldn't get that most supreme head-fuck twist... I'd be crushed without that awesome reveal in the movie.
It's not a twist if everybody knows it's coming, though. I don't really have any desire to see the Bioshock story retold in a movie format, the story worked perfectly as a video game. The trick will be to find a way to recreate the feel and theme of the game without rehashing the same story again.

timmyd
08-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok it's going to be filmed in Prague. Everything's going to be normal except the city is underwater because the Rhine overflowed. A cheesy computer graphic effect will be used in the one outside shot. The rest of events will take place in the sewer. This will all happen because a communist dictator took over the city. And ... And ... yeah there'll be a virus.

You heard it here first.

Steve_Erhardt
08-05-2008, 06:05 PM
It's not a twist if everybody knows it's coming, though. I don't really have any desire to see the Bioshock story retold in a movie format, the story worked perfectly as a video game. The trick will be to find a way to recreate the feel and theme of the game without rehashing the same story again.

I have a fantastic ability to know a twist is coming and still enjoy the living hell out of it, though. I'd dearly love to see the big twist in Bioshock done up on the screen with actors, an awesome set, tense, uneasy music rolling... it could be masterful.

It's like watching the Sixth Sense again... sure, you know the twist now, and it won't have the same impact as the first time you saw it, but that doesn't make it any less fascinating. And let's face it, you and me know the twist that would be coming, but there's a thrill to watching it with people who don't. ;)

I fully recognize that for a film adaptation, they would likely change some things (maybe the hero isn't the ONLY survivor of the plane crash, so now they have some redshirt types to let the splicers and big daddies and whatnot to kill, for example). If they are gonna do a real Bioshock movie, though, then it needs to be Bioshock. A prequel is just some shit they could throw together on their own and slap the Bioshock name on. I'd probably still see it if word of mouth on it was good, but I won't be nearly as excited.

Sl1pstream
08-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Ok it's going to be filmed in Prague. Everything's going to be normal except the city is underwater because the Rhine overflowed. A cheesy computer graphic effect will be used in the one outside shot. The rest of events will take place in the sewer. This will all happen because a communist dictator took over the city. And ... And ... yeah there'll be a virus.

You heard it here first.

I can totally see this being the revival of teen horror. Group of teenagers take a trip to the coast where they find an abandoned but locked lighthouse. Nobody gives a shit until they see light coming from the top of it during the next night. 3 Days later, they've lost someone and decide to go after her. After opening the thing with dynamite they found laying around they enter. There's an elevator that leads down to a beautiful hall. In the center of said hall there's a submarine which leads them down into Rapture.

In the end, everyone except the person that got kidnapped dies, leaving the one person who actually saw who did this alive, ready to return for the sequel. It's going to be shit.

Blue
08-05-2008, 06:27 PM

Holy crap where did you come from?

Xerxes
08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
A movie based directly on like the game you played?

Could end up like book based directly on the game you played. O_o
http://cloakboy0.tripod.com/images/halo_theflood.jpg
Remember this?

Sl1pstream
08-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's the same guy. I thought he was older.

NationalKato
08-05-2008, 06:32 PM
At least it's Gore Verbinski, an actual, legitimate director.

You know who else is 'an actual, legitimate director?' Yep, Uwe Boll. 'Cause they've both directed films. It's a fucking tough gig, man, and it takes years from your life.

You may not like his work or appreciate it, but give the man some fucking credit for having completed what takes a ton of effort: finishing a film.

Xerxes
08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
You know who else is 'an actual, legitimate director?' Yep, Uwe Boll. 'Cause they've both directed films. It's a fucking tough gig, man, and it takes years from your life.

You may not like his work or appreciate it, but give the man some fucking credit for having completed what takes a ton of effort: finishing a film.

Uwe Boll work, take years? Really?!

Exodus
08-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, he's the brother of a good family friend... it should be noted that he also wrote the screenplay for

Gladiator
The Last Samurai
Sweeney Todd
Star Trek: Nemesis
The Time Machine

Sooo, he's by no means new to the game. I'd be pretty confident to give him a thumbs up on this project. I tend to be a fan of his work, and so does the box office.

I got a soft spot for all of those movies. Though I admit The Time Machine could have been done a little better. Here's for hoping.

NationalKato
08-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Uwe Boll work, take years? Really?!

'Takes years from your life,' not in the celestial sense. In the exhaustion sense. It's hard work. I just try to respect the art form more than the artist, although one leads to the other.

Xerxes
08-05-2008, 07:03 PM
'Takes years from your life,' not in the celestial sense. In the exhaustion sense. It's hard work. I just try to respect the art form more than the artist, although one leads to the other.

I don't know.

Amalor
Hells yeah. As was the Eye and Ju-On.

All great ,but I got to say "A tale of two sisters" was the best Asian horror film so far. If you ain't seen it I'd highly recommend it.

ElfShotTheFood
I wonder if the movie will be faithful to the game and have a final quarter that's a total drag and leads to a limp conclusion?

ProfPuppet
08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I wonder if the [NOUN] will be faithful to the [NOUN] and have a final quarter that's a total drag and leads to a limp conclusion?

Keep your bedroom problems off the forum.

Badum-ching!

Remember, if someone isn't crying at the end of sex, you haven't done it right!

I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist.

Blue
08-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I wonder if the movie will be faithful to the game and have a final quarter that's a total drag and leads to a limp conclusion?

You're thinking of Halo 3. Wrong thread.

Dukefrukem
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
holy old news... this was known back in May

B_Money
08-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Keep your bedroom problems off the forum.

Badum-ching!

Remember, if someone isn't crying at the end of sex, you haven't done it right!

I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist.

Right on!
/Is doing it right, then
//Is usually the one crying.

violentp
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
All great ,but I got to say "A tale of two sisters" was the best Asian horror film so far. If you ain't seen it I'd highly recommend it.

I'll definitely check that out.

Virtuoso
08-06-2008, 02:15 AM
I hope they just do the story from the game and don't try to do some lame off shoot story.

The story from the game only works if you are playing it. Thats the whole reason its a mindfuck.

From a third person perspective it wouldnt be near as good.

Pnikosis
08-06-2008, 03:35 AM
Mousehunt is a very underrated comedy. And the Verbinski's version of The Ring was way better than the original, a rare case between a bunch of awful japanese remakes.

I think Gore Verbisnki is not a bad choice.

Kem0sabe
08-06-2008, 03:47 AM
I've yet to see a good movie adaptation of a video game, until proven otherwise, i am skeptical of any attempts to do so.

Spigot
08-06-2008, 05:43 AM
I still think that the first truly good videogame movie was Silent Hill. It wasn't perfect but it treated the subject matter as more than just an excuse to get a tax break in Germany.

I don't have a problem with Verbinski. I'd rather Christian Gans (the SH guy) did it, but what can you do?

menage
08-06-2008, 05:50 AM
The biggest story element which holds any real weight is directly related to you being the gamer. Without that, I can't see this being pulled above the usual sci-fi crap. Sure it will look good, but I don't expect a lot of depth (:P) here.

crazyd
08-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Holy crap where did you come from?
I don't post too often these days, but I still read the main page.