PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED - LBP Will Let You Sell Content You Create

Dr.Finger
07-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe head David Reeves has revealed that gamers may be able to charge for content they create in LittleBigPlanet.

"What we're trying to do with LittleBigPlanet is almost iTunes meets eBay in the sense that once an individual or a developer has qualified by producing certain levels or certain add-ons, they will then be able in the future to exchange these and make money out of themNow you're probably thinking what I'm thinking: Why would I pay good money for a level shaped like a dong? (and lets face it, given their druthers wang-derived levels would account for a majority of released contents) Reeves says that individuals would have to undergo a bit of a review process before they could start charging for their created content, so the levels should be a bit more polished and less obscene. Obviously some of the details still have to be announced, but this could be a huge deal in the coming months.

Source - Edge-Online (http://www.edge-online.com/news/lbp-players-could-charge-user-created-content).

UPDATE - Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=200029) spoke to Sony, which confirmed that all user-created content will be free at launch.

Dracula-X
07-21-2008, 06:11 AM
As I understand it, content will have to be approved by Media Molecule before even consideration for sale, so no worries about paying for dong based levels.

Gorvi
07-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Interesting. I guess there's your added incentive for making great content right there. If this even happens, that is.

rein
07-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Wasn't this part of the original vision for Live?

We will see what comes of it. Can you imagine having to review every level submitted by the average Joe? I do not want that job.

TrackZero
07-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Wasn't this part of the original vision for Live?

For virtual content for virtual currency, like in Forza 2. And don't credit one studio's game as if it's Sony offering this.

boratika
07-21-2008, 06:36 AM
User created content = dongs

What an age we live in:)

menage
07-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Big Meh.

Although I get the idea. I don't see this adding to the "community" sense at all. I liked the idea of freedom and creativity, being able to download stuff others create and sharing mine with everyone. When I have to buy it they can go fuck right off.

rein
07-21-2008, 06:54 AM
For virtual content for virtual currency, like in Forza 2. And don't credit one studio's game as if it's Sony offering this.

I thought there was talk of users being able to create, say an in game T-Shirt, and offer it up for sale on the Marketplace. I guess I am remembering it wrong.

Did I imply Sony was offering this? I'm not seeing it.

II ZoiD II
07-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Big Meh.

Although I get the idea. I don't see this adding to the "community" sense at all. I liked the idea of freedom and creativity, being able to download stuff others create and sharing mine with everyone. When I have to buy it they can go fuck right off.
My thoughts exactly. I would pay for some MM DLC but user created content with a price tag sucks my left nut. I wonder what the pricing is going to be on the latest news.

MosBen
07-21-2008, 07:04 AM
Being able to sell your content may incentivize people to make it, but it certainly de-insentivizes me from getting it. I find it tedious enough to wade through free user-created content to find the good stuff. I'm certainly not going to pay for the privilege of playing levels which almost certainly aren't as good as the professional stuff made by the dev team.

I don't know, LBP really hasn't gotten me super excited, so maybe I'm not the best person to evaluate such a system.

HotCod
07-21-2008, 07:26 AM
all i can say is people have had no need for such incentives with spore so far... i'd have to see how the stuff is set up and just how much user things cost and how much of that cost actually goes to the user who made it... it could either be a neat extra way to get good content or it could be another way to squeeze more out of gamers by giving them the tools to create there content and then turn around and resell that content to every one else... and i thought EA where rubbing there hands in glee at all the free crap they where going to get done for spore

MacD
07-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Some (pc) mods are worth money, and all the effort the modders expend deserves some monetary compensation. Dunno if LBP content takes that much effort though (no having to work difficult 3d programs, make textures, normalmaps, level building, scripting etc).

Stuff like certain UT mods, the maxpayne kungfu mod, that kind of thing. Stuff made in the Starcraft level editor, maybe not so much.

DeejayKnight
07-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Big Meh.

My name is Deejay Knight, and I approve this message. :D

Roc Ingersol
07-21-2008, 08:21 AM
This fits squarely under the banner of "Stuff Everyone Seems to Promise But Never Actually Seems to Deliver". So I wouldn't worry about the 'selling' bit until it actually shows up.

Because it won't.

Wraith
07-21-2008, 08:30 AM
I thought there was talk of users being able to create, say an in game T-Shirt, and offer it up for sale on the Marketplace. I guess I am remembering it wrong.I remember that too. Nothing ever came from it, I guess.

J3DI
07-21-2008, 08:47 AM
There is no doubt in mind mind that there will be some very creative levels produced from users. I can see several NES remake levels happening, perhaps some Sonic levels from GENS, but I dont want to pay for it! It reminds me of bootlegging. I think the user created stuff will be good for the community, but the price is gonna drag it down. I'm glad MS didn't proceed with this kid of nonsense.

But what do I care, I don't have a PS3 yet :P

vherub
07-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Won't this kill free user-sharing though?

DigitalFirefly
07-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Velocity Girl is rolling over in her grave right now.

Variable Gear
07-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Talon- and I talked about this for an hour last night. On first glance, we weren't big fans of the policy to charge for content. Even if Sony actively controls who is "qualified" to sell content, I am very unhappy about development.

Micasa
07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
There better be a way to preview the levels before being forced to choose to buy them.

TrackZero
07-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Did I imply Sony was offering this? I'm not seeing it.

It's implied when you refer to another companies entire service. Had you compared it to a game, that'd have been different. Referencing XBL means you're comparing it against Sony's online offering. Hence my comment.

Gott
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
so much for PLAY CREATE SHARE....It should be called PLAY CREATE SELL

Wraith
07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/07/lbp.jpg

Target cards reveal possible LittleBigPlanet release date (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/21/target-cards-reveal-possible-littlebigplanet-release-date/)

Talon-
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I think we need to remember that MM will decide who is "qualified" to charge for content. Like Variable said, I really don't like this at first glance, but I'm sure we'll hear more about this as it gets closer to release.

I'd much rather have everything be free, but, like one man said, it's nice to want things.

Disgustipated
07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, right. Microsoft said we'd be able to sell content (like skateboard designs, omg!!) 3 years ago. This will be lame. I'll get all my shit free from my friends, thanks.

TrackZero
07-21-2008, 01:39 PM
"at launch."

Mmmm, time-limited free offerings. Good times?

Talon-
07-21-2008, 01:44 PM
"at launch."

Mmmm, time-limited free offerings. Good times?

Courtesy of PS3Fanboy (http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/20/littlebigplanet-allows-users-to-charge-for-created-content/)
What's a better incentive to create a level in LittleBigPlanet than good, hard cold cash? According to recent comments by David Reeves, president of SCEE, that's what's planned for the upcoming community-driven platformer. "What we're trying to do with LittleBigPlanet is almost iTunes meets eBay in the sense that once an individual or a developer has qualified by producing certain levels or certain add-ons, they will then be able in the future to exchange these and make money out of them," Reeves notes. "Eventually, it's feasible that you might well see the first LittleBigPlanet millionaire!"

It appears that how much creators can charge for content is also user-determined. "Even if you charge less than one euro, it doesn't take many downloads if you've got a really strong LittleBigPlanet level for people to be able to make money. It's a great way for people to show others what they can do." This may give aspiring level designers a chance to not only show off their creativity, but turn their skills into profit.

My reading is that not everyone will be able to charge for their content. The "qualified" statement makes things a bit murky because who gets to decide what content is qualified? Media Molecule? Community scores?

Variable also brought up a good point last night about this:

I agree, but I see the danger in "qualifying" people based on their past work. What if you can't demo the levels? Then it's tough to tell if the level is worth downloading, until you actually have it on your machine. Yes, the designer in question may have a great reputation, but that doesn't mean that their levels are going to be consistently fun to play. And, if that's the case, I think it's more wise to go with the free-to-play model. It doesn't kill me, but it is a very disappointing announcement. I'm surprised that Sony thought this was an intelligent way to position LittleBigPlanet.

Anyways, I don't see this as a terrible thing to happen, but it certainly doesn't look like a positive thing from my perspective. It's in every right for a content creator to get money for the fruits of his labor, but this seems to be in opposition to a lot of things MM has said concerning LBP. Shared content will help the community grow more than dividing into the haves and have-nots.

muddi900
07-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Dude, why are you discussing dongs on front paged? We're not NeoGAF or GameFAQs.

Zecon
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
So what would stop someone from selling someone else's software for a lower cost or even free? can Sony even actively monitor it? I don't blame microsoft for giving this a pass, I just don't see it taking off. But maybe if they could get a pc version running that works with the PS3, It might turn into a 3D facebook, but somehow i doubt it.

Variable Gear
07-21-2008, 02:34 PM
My reading is that not everyone will be able to charge for their content. The "qualified" statement makes things a bit murky because who gets to decide what content is qualified? Media Molecule? Community scores?
Yeah, that does make things a bit foggy. However, most people don't even know content creators will have to be qualified before they can charge for levels. We do need answers on that point, specifically on who or what is doing the qualifying, but we also need to understand that people won't just be able to jump into LBP and charge a bunch of change for their creations.
Variable also brought up a good point last night about this:
Thanks for the kudos, man. Demos had better be standard for the pay-to-play content. ;)