PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Pulls Fast One: 20GB 360 to $299 Today, 60GB 360 $349 in August

AgtFox
07-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Microsoft today announced what everyone knew weeks ago: the 20GB Xbox 360 Pro has gone to $299 officially as of today. In August, Microsoft will release a 60GB Xbox 360 at the 20GB's original price of $349. For an earlier news story of some Brick and Mortar stores selling at the lower price before the true price drop, check this previous news item (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57409).

Here's a part of the press release (full one after break):

"We know consumers need more and more space to store the amazing digital content Xbox 360 offers, and we're giving it to them at no extra charge," said Albert Penello, Xbox director of product management at Microsoft. "No one device offers the depth and breadth of entertainment that Xbox 360 can deliver, and now you'll have three times the storage to manage all that great content."In other news, the Arcade and Elite versions do not change price either. I also wonder if Microsoft will sell the 60GB hard drive at a reasonable price by itself for those that already have the 20GB hard drive. Fire sale on the 20GB...get it while it's hot (or not)!

AgtFox
07-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Full PR from Microsoft on the lower price for the 20GB 360 and introduction of 60GB 360 at old 20GB price in August:

Redmond, Washington—Microsoft is giving consumers more gigabytes for their buck. The company today announced an Xbox 360 console with triple the storage space of the original console, but for the same price of $349 (U.S.) estimated retail price.

Available in retail stores in the U.S. and Canada starting in early August, the upgraded Xbox 360 will include a 60GB hard drive for storing the growing wealth of digital entertainment available for the console, including music, movies, television shows, and game content. In addition, Microsoft today dropped the price of its 20GB Xbox 360 console in the U.S. and Canada to just $299 (U.S.) (ERP) while supplies last, a savings of $50.

"We know consumers need more and more space to store the amazing digital content Xbox 360 offers, and we're giving it to them at no extra charge," said Albert Penello, Xbox director of product management at Microsoft. "No one device offers the depth and breadth of entertainment that Xbox 360 can deliver, and now you'll have three times the storage to manage all that great content."

Xbox 360 is just one of three Xbox 360 gaming and entertainment systems Microsoft offers. Microsoft's Xbox 360 Arcade, which comes with a 256MB memory unit and five Xbox LIVE Arcade games, is a value for the whole family for $279 (U.S.) (ERP), and the premium Xbox 360 Elite console is available with a 120GB hard drive for $449 (U.S.) (ERP).

Out of the box, the Xbox 360 console is ready to provide an incredible gaming and entertainment experience:

Xbox 360 console: The console is equipped with a cool white finish and three powerful core processors capable of producing the best in high definition (HD) entertainment (up to 1080p for gaming), 16:9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, and high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) output.

60GB Hard Drive: The 60GB detachable hard drive allows you to save your games and store television shows, movies, music, pictures, trailers, levels, demos, and other content available from Xbox LIVE Marketplace, the premier one-stop digital download center for entertainment.

Upscaling DVD Player: With an HDMI cable (sold separately), watch your favorite DVDs in near high-definition using the upscaling capabilities of Xbox 360.

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller: This award-winning, high-performance wireless controller features the Xbox Guide Button for quick, in-game access to friends and music. It has a range of up to 30 feet and a battery life of up to 30 hours on two AA batteries.

Xbox 360 Headset: The headset lets friends and family around the world chat while playing games, watching movies, or sending voice messages on Xbox LIVE.

Xbox LIVE Silver Membership: For no additional cost, Xbox 360 owners can chat with friends online, collect Achievements to improve their Gamerscores, send and receive voice and text messages, and access Xbox LIVE Marketplace content such as game demos, and purchase or rent HD movies and TV shows, as well as the best in downloadable games from Xbox LIVE Arcade. (Broadband Internet access required.)

One-month subscription to Xbox LIVE Gold: An Xbox LIVE Gold Membership provides a complete online entertainment experience. Those who subscribe to this premium service can engage in competitive online multiplayer matches, tailor their matchmaking via feedback and accomplishments, and chat with an entire group of friends at a time.

bKangy
07-13-2008, 06:28 AM
You have to be joking! 60gb?! People shit on that amount of storage.

mkelehan
07-13-2008, 06:33 AM
I also wonder if Microsoft will sell the 60GB hard drive at a reasonable price by itself for those that already have the 20GB hard drive. Fire sale on the 20GB...get it while it's hot!

The 60GB HDD will be bundled with a wired headset, 3 months of Live Gold, and an ethernet cable, and sell for $100. It'll be branded as an Xbox Live starter pack. The 120GB HDD will drop to $150.

Both still too expensive.

AgtFox
07-13-2008, 06:33 AM
If they wanted to do a true fire sale where people will pick the old 20GB up, they probably should have dropped it $100 instead of $50. Most will just wait for the bigger hard drive at the same old price I would think.

AgtFox
07-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Well, it does put the amount of space above the normal 40GB PS3 ($399), but below the MGS4 pack that has an 80GB hard drive in it ($499). Also, cheaper than both.

Gorvi
07-13-2008, 06:36 AM
The 60GB HDD will be bundled with a wired headset, 3 months of Live Gold, and an ethernet cable, and sell for $100. It'll be branded as an Xbox Live starter pack. The 120GB HDD will drop to $150.

If they included the WiFi adapter in that I think that'd be a good deal.

AgtFox
07-13-2008, 06:38 AM

Can I ask where this was announced? It better come with a transfer cable too for those that want to upgrade their 20GB.

Skjef
07-13-2008, 06:38 AM
"No one device offers the depth and breadth of entertainment that Xbox 360 can deliver, and now you'll have three times the storage to manage all that great content."Except, you know, a PC. Too bad the markup on PC's isn't as good.

Less trollish: Hard to believe they didn't drop the price (or altogether) the Arcade model too. A $20 difference means none of those will sell.

Earth Djinn
07-13-2008, 06:43 AM
I bought the 120GB HDD after last years E3 filled my 20GB in a week.

Its good that they're offering a bigger HDD out of the box, but I feel that it should at least be an 80GB.

Norse
07-13-2008, 06:46 AM
They'll probably drop the price before the holiday when they have sold all the 20GB versions.

Norse
07-13-2008, 06:47 AM
What do you guys need all that storage space for? I have a 20GB version and have just below 10GB available at any time.

Gorvi
07-13-2008, 06:52 AM
What do you guys need all that storage space for? I have a 20GB version and have just below 10GB available at any time.
I know I'm one of the few, but I have FFXI on there, which takes up 8GB by itself (the game is larger than that, but because of the 360's small HDD size, you need to keep the disc in for the rest of the game to load from). That only leaves 5GB of usable space (you only get ~13GB of space to use on the 20GB HDDs), so it kinda limits the amount of demos I can have on there at any one time, and that doesn't even count if I ever get around to purchasing any XBLA games. 20GB was just a bit too small, the 60GB is just right I think.

mkelehan
07-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Can I ask where this was announced? It better come with a transfer cable too for those that want to upgrade their 20GB.

Sure. It was in an internal Blockbuster Video email about a week ago. A transfer cable wasn't mentioned anywhere, but MS gives you one for free if you request it, so I think you'll be all right.

Digital distribution is the way of the future. I think we may very well hear about larger downloadable games at E3, larger than a gigabyte and not part of XBLA, like Peter Jackson's Halo episodic games. Maybe this generation and definitely next, we'll be seeing full retail games available for download day-and-date. Sony's already done it with Warhawk and SOCOM, and is about to do it with Siren. I'd love it if I could preload Gears 2 and play it on launch day by clicking a button and subtracting 5000 MS points instead of going to the store.

TheFlyingOrc
07-13-2008, 07:05 AM
If they included the WiFi adapter in that I think that'd be a good deal.
You mean the Wifi adapter that's still 100 bucks, even though it was a launch peripheral? No way that's happening. Microsoft's peripheral pricing is downright criminal.

TheFlyingOrc
07-13-2008, 07:12 AM
So, at the risk of double posting:

If it weren't for the Wii, this generation's growth over last one would be terrible, because both other companies hate the concept of lowering their price. Microsoft is now, after 2 and a half years, at about the price the original Xbox was at launch. Sony has only gotten as low as the 360 was when it launched, despite being on the market for some 20 months. This "same price, but we give you MORE!" is just getting obnoxious from both camps.

Of course, Nintendo isn't dropping their price until they can actually keep up with customer demand.

Fubl
07-13-2008, 07:15 AM
amazon has the elites for 400 dollars right now they took 50 of them to

Talon-
07-13-2008, 07:23 AM

If it weren't for the Wii, this generation's growth over last one would be terrible, because both other companies hate the concept of lowering their price. Microsoft is now, after 2 and a half years, at about the price the original Xbox was at launch. Sony has only gotten as low as the 360 was when it launched, despite being on the market for some 20 months. This "same price, but we give you MORE!" is just getting obnoxious from both camps.

Of course, Nintendo isn't dropping their price until they can actually keep up with customer demand.

Yep. Way to go Microsoft and Sony.

Bahamut
07-13-2008, 07:26 AM
$50 more for what amounts to 40 GB more? What a sham.

AgtFox
07-13-2008, 07:31 AM
amazon has the elites for 400 dollars right now they took 50 of them to
Must have a special going on at Amazon or they didn't get the memo. Right in the PR in the replied post it says the prices of the Arcade and Elite are the same ($279 and $449).

Xbox 360 is just one of three Xbox 360 gaming and entertainment systems Microsoft offers. Microsoft's Xbox 360 Arcade, which comes with a 256MB memory unit and five Xbox LIVE Arcade games, is a value for the whole family for $279 (U.S.) (ERP), and the premium Xbox 360 Elite console is available with a 120GB hard drive for $449 (U.S.) (ERP).

Talon-
07-13-2008, 07:33 AM
$50 more for what amounts to 40 GB more? What a sham.

But you're getting so much more for what you would've paid!

Takes moneyvisor and leaves.

Wolvie
07-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Hmmm... very interesting. I need more space since my current HDD is hovering around 4.5 GB left. And no I can't delete anything because that's ALL down loadable content(mostly Rock Band songs).
One would hope that the 60 GB drive will ship separately after the new Pro SKU launches. And one would also hope that the price would be exactly half that of the 120GB drive.

Talon-
07-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Hmmm... very interesting. I need more space since my current HDD is hovering around 4.5 GB left. And no I can't delete anything because that's ALL down loadable content(mostly Rock Band songs).
One would hope that the 60 GB drive will ship separately after the new Pro SKU launches. And one would also hope that the price would be exactly half that of the 120GB drive.

You hope too much, sire.

DeejayKnight
07-13-2008, 08:07 AM
DO fracking want... :D

Mr.Green
07-13-2008, 08:07 AM
If it weren't for the Wii, this generation's growth over last one would be terrible, because both other companies hate the concept of lowering their price.

True, but they also hate the concept of releasing the same hardware two generations in a row. ;)

Camel
07-13-2008, 08:14 AM
I wonder how many more SKU's the 360 and PS3 will have before the next generation of consoles. Over or under 30?

Schnoogs
07-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Millions of 360 owners have been using 20gigs for the last 3 years. :rolleyes:

bean19
07-13-2008, 08:25 AM
20 GB is more than enough unless you are downloading lots of full Xbox games and/or HD movies, and you can do a few of them. The 60 GB should be fine for these users as HD movies are rentals and won't stay on the system forever anyway.

So there size is really functional but still really small. I don't understand why they don't just release them with large HDDs. Maybe they want to make money off people palying for $100 larger hard-drives, but that gives them the image of being exploitative.

Whatever, I don't need a bigger hard-drive and I'm a heavy user and a gamer. I imagine they'll gain 1/10th in profits what they have to spend in marketing to repair how much this (and other exploitative behaviors) injure their brand image.

Fudjo
07-13-2008, 08:29 AM
A problem for Microsoft with this strategy is that it still doesn't separate the 360 enough from the PS3 in terms of price, which is why the PS3 has been gaining some ground. There's only a $50 difference between the two. Stick with the 20 GB version and maintain a $100 difference, and MS can put some sales distance between themselves and Sony.

Norse
07-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Millions of 360 owners have been using 20gigs for the last 3 years. :rolleyes:

And 3 times 20GB = 60GB, so this makes perfect sense

jeffbax
07-13-2008, 08:48 AM
A problem for Microsoft with this strategy is that it still doesn't separate the 360 enough from the PS3 in terms of price, which is why the PS3 has been gaining some ground. There's only a $50 difference between the two. Stick with the 20 GB version and maintain a $100 difference, and MS can put some sales distance between themselves and Sony.
There is likely an insignificant difference between the cost of 20 and 60 gb HDDs at this point, making that storage not the reason MS has the price drop, rather they probably want to clear out the last of the 360 stock that is prone to the RROD for the hopefully fixed model in August.

Mike Jones
07-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Three years and basically this is their first "price drop". MS = idiots . Their pricing strategy has been horrendous. They launched at $399 and only now do they have any SKU's under $399. Arcade doesn't count IMO and shouldn't exist.

Magnanimous Gnome
07-13-2008, 09:39 AM

I said this in the other thread, so now I am just QFT.

fitbabits
07-13-2008, 09:44 AM
At this point I would just like to say I called the 60GB model months ago!

Talanvor
07-13-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm pretty sure this is the second price drop for the 20GB model, but still it is sort of a kick in the pants. I'm getting sick of all this multiple SKU bullshit. So what, now there's the Arcade, the 20GB, soon to be the 60 GB, the Halo edition and the Elite? Goddamn.

On the other side of this, I hope they lower the price of the Elite permanently and it isn't just Amazon being feisty. My poor 360 keeps giving me DDEs, mostly on Rock Band and GH3.

KSmitty
07-13-2008, 09:56 AM
At this point I would just like to say I called the 60GB model months ago!

http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_dancer/cisforcookie1974.jpg

;)

fitbabits
07-13-2008, 09:59 AM
http://members.tripod.com/Tiny_dancer/cisforcookie1974.jpg

;)

Thanks. The only reason I mention it is because I was dragged over the coals for my prediction. All I need now is for Microsoft and Capcom to announce their so-far secret dalliance and I'll be 100% vindicated.

92miata
07-13-2008, 10:08 AM

THE TRUTH ABOVE.....somebody should forward this to microsoft and sony.

at my costco we sell maybe 1 ps3 a month, maybe 1 xbox 360 a week.....

when we get wii's, usually 24 at a time, 2-6 hours is all they last....:)

way to go microsoft and sony. greed is a terrible word.

Sl1pstream
07-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Rock Band.

I think I've got the PSU expansion on my HD too. A lot of Arcade games and a few Xbox classic titles put me well over 13GB.

cp#
07-13-2008, 10:19 AM
"three powerful core processors"

or

A powerful triple core processor?

:p

Sandman
07-13-2008, 10:30 AM
$50? That's all they can do?

IrishWhiskey
07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm still completely unclear on why people would pay $50 for 40Gigs of extra hard drive space. And no, a few months of live don't make up the difference.

If they are replacing the 20Gig with the 60Gig version, then they need to drop the price of the 60Gig to $300 by Christmas. That small upgrade isn't enough to constitute a price drop.

Zanzibar
07-13-2008, 10:36 AM
You mean the Wifi adapter that's still 100 bucks, even though it was a launch peripheral? No way that's happening. Microsoft's peripheral pricing is downright criminal.

THIS.

No, seriously. THIS.

Texas Speed
07-13-2008, 10:46 AM
It still amazes me that every time I see something anounced (from MS, Sony, or Nintendo) regarding an upgrade/pricecut, all you people do is bitch and whine. Christ, they're just doing what Sony did last year with the PS3, replacing one sku with a slightly upgraded one, for the same price. What a bunch of fucking babies.

Norse
07-13-2008, 10:50 AM
It still amazes me that every time I see something anounced (from MS, Sony, or Nintendo) regarding an upgrade/pricecut, all you people do is bitch and whine. Christ, they're just doing what Sony did last year with the PS3, replacing one sku with a slightly upgraded one, for the same price. What a bunch of fucking babies.

That's what we do. Gamers are the whiniest kind of people on the planet

violentp
07-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Maybe I'm just late but has anyone mentioned the $449 120GB SKU?

Source (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2008/0713-consolestorage.htm)

Norse
07-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Maybe I'm just late but has anyone mentioned the $449 120GB SKU?

Source (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2008/0713-consolestorage.htm)

That's the Elite. So you're a year late :)

Bahamut
07-13-2008, 11:03 AM

Sony at least bundled a game in addition. Microsoft isn't even trying to give the illusion they're giving a huge bargain with the 60 GB here.

violentp
07-13-2008, 11:06 AM
That's the Elite. So you're a year late :)

Huh. Look at that. I thought it was a new sku. Let me get back to playing with my Pogo Ball then.

Adam Blue
07-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Sony at least bundled a game in addition. Microsoft isn't even trying to give the illusion they're giving a huge bargain with the 60 GB here.

No seriously, who gives a shit. The fact that so much drama can be created by this announcement is mind-boggling. I don't buy the "gamers are whiners" shit. It's really just who some of you are.

Talanvor
07-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I had the choice of getting the 80G PS3 w/Motorstorm or the 60GB version with actual BC. I went with the 60GB. Seriously, Motorstorm was boring to me.

Uniqueusername
07-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Not a bad move, but certainly not the strong response I was hoping for.

The introduction of a 60GB drive does nothing much for the 360. The average consumer would barely know the difference, and the hard core fans will not be impressed.
It’s a modest upgrade, and probably a useful one, but I doubt it's going to be effective against either the PS3 or the Wii.

I hope MS has something else in the bag.

Camel
07-13-2008, 01:17 PM
I had the choice of getting the 80G PS3 w/Motorstorm or the 60GB version with actual BC. I went with the 60GB. Seriously, Motorstorm was boring to me.
I don't really get how this is relevant to the topic at hand, but I will add that I hope I can find a 60 GB PS3 when I finally get one later this year (I still have a ton of PS2 games to play).

I think it's ridiculous that I have to look at a table in Wikipedia to find out what features each SKU has. I really hope this trend doesn't continue with the next generation versions of the 360 and PS3, but I won't hold my breath.

EDIT: Unless you were trying to say that new models aren't always the best choice, or that more hard drive space doesn't really matter, in which case I agree.

Bahamut
07-13-2008, 01:31 PM
No seriously, who gives a shit. The fact that so much drama can be created by this announcement is mind-boggling. I don't buy the "gamers are whiners" shit. It's really just who some of you are.

Personally I don't care terribly much about the announcement of the 60 GB - I have had a 20 GB 360 Premium for more than 1 1/2 years. I might even end up buying the 60 GB one because I intend on buying an HDTV next month and I want the HDMI port (I know the current 360 Pros have the port too, but they'll likely be gone when I go shopping for a 360).

That doesn't make this anywhere near a bargain for consumers though - making childish and irrelevant comments like Texas Speed doesn't change points like this.

Looks like you're one of the whiners here.

Bumbuliuz
07-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Why wont Microsoft just kill of the HDD-less Xbox 360? It will only help them and the game on the machine.

Texas Speed
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM

I'm not sure how pointing out that people consistently complain over more features being added is being childish, but you have your opinion, I guess. However, more relevent to your quote, has MS stopped bundling Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2 (which, of course, is two games) with the Pro and Elite packs, or stopped bundling 5 arcade games with the Arcade pack? I was unaware if they have.

Talon-
07-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure how pointing out that people consistently complain over more features being added is being childish, but you have your opinion, I guess. However, more relevent to your quote, has MS stopped bundling Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2 (which, of course, is two games) with the Pro and Elite packs, or stopped bundling 5 arcade games with the Arcade pack? I was unaware if they have.

They had stopped bundling them towards the end of the holiday season, and then they started again a couple of weeks ago.

Deadend
07-13-2008, 02:34 PM
This is the most disappointing price drop since... the last 360 price drop.

jeffbax
07-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Why wont Microsoft just kill of the HDD-less Xbox 360? It will only help them and the game on the machine.

No it won't. Its already HDD-less at the development baseline. They made their choice at the start. Developers have to assume there are those without and aren't going to start requiring it when a chunk of the userbase doesn't have it.

agentgray
07-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Doesn't this raises the price per GB of what were are already paying? Give us a true hard drive or console price drop, not this tie-in crap.

Apple halved the price on their console and made it better...in a years time. (Apples to oranges, but meh)

http://www.nintendaddio.com/img/milkingthecow.jpg

I like my 360, but if and when it fails again, I won't be getting another one.

Magnanimous Gnome
07-13-2008, 04:38 PM
THIS.

No, seriously. THIS.

I'm moving in with a buddy of mine in a few weeks, and if I want to keep my 360 online I'm going to have to buy that damn adaptor.

I might just not bother. $100 is fucking rape.

Bahamut
07-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm moving in with a buddy of mine in a few weeks, and if I want to keep my 360 online I'm going to have to buy that damn adaptor.

You know, all you have to do is buy a wireless access point and configure it? The XBox 360 adapter is basically for anyone who doesn't have any knowledge of what to buy in order to hook up equipment wirelessly that normally can only be hooked up with via wired router/modem.

$100 is definitely rape, thankfully there are viable alternatives.

Chrome Dome
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM

I bought it and I've enjoyed the freedom from cables drapes across my house. On the other hand the delay it introduced means that I loose a whole lot more in FPS games online. Not as bad as I have feared though.

On a different note I think what MS is offering for the price is not nearly sufficient to retain even a second place finish. Maybe it will spur some competition from Sony and a price drop for the PS3 into reasonable range so that I can finally get an HD movie player. :)

fitbabits
07-13-2008, 05:10 PM

But what about me...?

BTW, there are other ways to hook your 360 up wirelessly without paying Microsoft $100. Using you laptop for one.

Phanto
07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
And the 360 is continuing the PC path..

Disgustipated
07-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I bought it and I've enjoyed the freedom from cables drapes across my house. On the other hand the delay it introduced means that I loose a whole lot more in FPS games online. Not as bad as I have feared though.

You don't "loose" anymore in FPS games using wireless. Go ahead and ping your wireless router with a wireless equipped PC. Wireless only introduces about 1 ms of lag.

Also, you never need to buy the Xbox wireless adapter. You can hook your 360 into a PC and use your PC's wireless access for the 360, or get a wireless AP.

drakkarim
07-13-2008, 08:21 PM
meh, i've had 10.4gig left on my 20gb for the last year... i guess i'm one of the "not great" ones that isn't finding any of that "great" content on the "great" 360 to fill it up with.

ever since the "not great" decision to make demos an exclusive for the first week or whatever, i haven't even bothered to download a single demo. i seem to always prefer to get them on the ps3 these days. good move asshats.

Magnanimous Gnome
07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
But what about me...?

BTW, there are other ways to hook your 360 up wirelessly without paying Microsoft $100. Using you laptop for one.

What about you? Am I even on your friends list? :p

Not that it matters - my poor 360 has been completely neglected for months. I've been too busy to do much gaming. :(

fitbabits
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
What about you? Am I even on your friends list? :p

Not that it matters - my poor 360 has been completely neglected for months. I've been too busy to do much gaming. :(

You're on my "friends" list... ;)

Magnanimous Gnome
07-14-2008, 04:30 AM
You're on my "friends" list... ;)

Awww :)
10char

Asmodan
07-14-2008, 05:24 AM
The $100 wireless adapter is basically idiot tax. You can get perfectly viable solutions that do the exact same thing for way less than half that. If you can't be bothered to figure out how to find one than there ya go. But I laugh every time I see people going on like you MUST use the MS branded adapter if you want to go wireless.

Stormwatcher
07-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Is this new SKU the one that wont die 3 months after you bought it?

asimonk
07-14-2008, 06:58 AM
This is amazingly underwhelming

MajSheppard
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, but what chipset is in the 60GB????!?!?!?!

Is it just me, or am I the only one who refuses to buy this system until the chipsets are safe enough to not fall apart. Won't someone please tell me which one to buy based on the chipsets.

MajSheppard
07-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't really get how this is relevant to the topic at hand, but I will add that I hope I can find a 60 GB PS3 when I finally get one later this year (I still have a ton of PS2 games to play).

I think it's ridiculous that I have to look at a table in Wikipedia to find out what features each SKU has. I really hope this trend doesn't continue with the next generation versions of the 360 and PS3, but I won't hold my breath.

EDIT: Unless you were trying to say that new models aren't always the best choice, or that more hard drive space doesn't really matter, in which case I agree.

I agree with you 100%, but I am also in serrious need of that information. Do you have a link to such a table? I simply cannot find this information myself.

I simply want to know when I can buy the right chipset, which is far more important to me then HDMI cables or how many GBs there is.

Any really good sites that keep up to date on this with official information?

I didn't get a 360 right away because I figured I'd show restraint and save some money, and as of yet it hasn't paid off. With the exception that I haven't had an Xbox die on me yet! I was hoping the system would have the new chipsets and be far cheaper as of yet, but my patience is wearing thin, and I may go ahead with the 20gb if it has a falcon chip, but if Jasper is in the 60gb then I might go with that. Or do I have to wait till august to get the Jasper still? If so, will there be another price drop for the hollidays?

Remember the good old days when all you had to do was say, mommy, daddy, "I want the Nintendo!!!", and you were done. sigh*

Wolvie
07-15-2008, 01:07 AM
You hope too much, sire.

Sometimes that's all we have.