PDA

View Full Version : [Rumor] Call of Duty 6 in Space?

Grey
06-22-2008, 08:03 AM
An Infinity Ward employee said something (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191430) about a new SciFi game IW is working on. Since Call of Duty is their only IP it is not unlikely that he is talking about Call of Duty 6. He also said further details will maybe revealed at the upcoming E3 next month, but that isn't sure at all.

Speaking with TalkPlayStation.com an insider said we are currently working on a new sci-fi title, we cannot release any more information as of yet, we may or may not announce it at E3".

Space is the way to go isn't it? Personaly I'd love to see more space combat games, since really futuristic SciFi warfare is rare nowadays in FPS, besides a few titles like Halo.

Dr.Finger
06-22-2008, 08:15 AM
You think "futuristic SciFi" FPS' are rare? Halo, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Gears of War and Doom come to mind, and that's just off the top of my head.

Personally, I hope and pray that they're not taking Call of Duty into the far future. If IW wants to start a new franchise with that setting, great. But leave CoD in the (more or less) present day.

BloodPack
06-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Space is the way to go isn't it? Personaly I'd love to see more space combat games, since really futuristic SciFi warfare is rare nowadays in FPS, besides a few titles like Halo.
I am not sure if your being sarcastic, or if you really think SciFi FPS games are in short supply.

Norse
06-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Halo 4??? :)

bone_matrix
06-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I think that would kick ass. I think a Call of Duty style game within the Halo setting would be very fun also, but I would settle for this.

Granted, I am an Infinity Ward Call of Duty WHORE!

CrashT
06-22-2008, 08:28 AM
From the day I first played Quake II, I've longed for a really solid Sci-Fi War FPS. I really liked Halo, but it was only in 3 that they really started to hit the level of spectacle that the likes of Call Of Duty manages, and even then it didn't last.

There are a fair number of Sci-Fi FPSs right now, but none of them shot for the level of intensity that the Call Of Duty games do.

Flatpicker
06-22-2008, 08:35 AM
I'd like to see it if it were more realistic sci fi.
weightlesness, weapon recoil pushing you around. hull breaches etc.

MelbaToast
06-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Would be incredible if they could really pull it off. A proper, gritty futuristic FPS would be amazing.

bKangy
06-22-2008, 08:42 AM
It'd kick ass if they added a realistic and immersive touch to it. It's often what games like Halo really miss.

Primus
06-22-2008, 08:55 AM
I have heard this IW doing a Halo nonsense a lot lately.

Turning Halo's massive and over the top battles into short, run around the corner and shoot first type of fighting like COD1-4 would be pretty upsetting to me.

Hopefully its just COD6 and IW stays far away from my beloved franchise.

AversionFX
06-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Sci-fi shooters are usually pretty bland to me, because the weapons are usually very lackluster. Halo is one of the very few sci-fi shooters where the weapons actually felt satisfying to use. I don't know if that should even be an important point in a game, but dammit I want enjoyable weapons.

Klade
06-22-2008, 09:01 AM
The rumor doesn't even mention anything about space. Just says sci-fi. In other words this could be another Battlefield 2142.

DeathtollWRX
06-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Images of the movie Soldier starring
Kurt Russel come to mind. there were a few scenes of his space battles which I thought might look good.

oldschooldimo
06-22-2008, 09:04 AM
The rumor doesn't even mention anything about space. Just says sci-fi. In other words this could be another Battlefield 2142.

or a star trek fps.

fitbabits
06-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, there's no mention of space specifically in the article. I can see the next IW CoD title having a sci-fi bent, though.

Grey
06-22-2008, 09:17 AM
I am not sure if your being sarcastic, or if you really think SciFi FPS games are in short supply.

Name one non-console exclusive and *outstanding* title please.

Quake 4 was the last real "space" shooter I remember. I liked it, but in overall more or less objective view it's not *outstanding* I did not play BF2145 but that would be a scenario I am thinking of. Little bit more space maybe.

Gears of War? Set on earth with earth wepons.
Half-Life2? Set on earth, with earth and semi-scifi weapons (they sucked compared to the original Half-Life)
UT3 - here we go. Too bad it's a fast paced MP shooter with no deep story at all.

When I think of SciFi titles I think of laser weapons, futuristic space wars, the space itself, unrealistic advanced technology and so on.
Of course the term "SciFi" isn't limited to those scenarios, but I think it is the appropriate term for such. Otherwise they could call it simple "futuristic".

Shadowstorm
06-22-2008, 09:18 AM
I think that would kick ass. I think a Call of Duty style game within the Halo setting would be very fun also, but I would settle for this.

Granted, I am an Infinity Ward Call of Duty WHORE!

This! It would totally kick ass.

I have a little apprehension for CoD5, however, given that it is being developed by the team (Treyarch) who did CoD3, which sucked.

SPBTooL
06-22-2008, 09:20 AM
...Since Call of Duty is their only IP it is not unlikely that he is talking about Call of Duty 6...Shouldn't this actually be a good reason it's not CoD? IW now has the cred to get the backing to do something different and they have already done 3 CoD games. I'm hoping that it is something like Free Space. The console space now seems like it could a well made semi-masively multiplayer space sim RPG would do well.

Klade
06-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Name one non-console exclusive and *outstanding* title please.

Prey

Happy now?

Grey
06-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Prey wasn't outstanding in any way. It was pretty the same like Quake 4.

Grey
06-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Shouldn't this actually be a good reason it's not CoD? IW now has the cred to get the backing to do something different and they have already done 3 CoD games. I'm hoping that it is something like Free Space. The console space now seems like it could a well made semi-masively multiplayer space sim RPG would do well.

Well sure, but since they're doing a new CoD anyway it is intimating that it could be CoD6.

Klade
06-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Prey was a pretty incredible game, it had portals, it had gravity fluctuations, it had futuristic weapons, it had a better then average storyline for a FPS. The graphics were good and the controls were solid. What more do you want exactly?

Then again you seem to dislike Half-Life 2 which is one of the better games to come out in the past few years. So I would say your standards are set at some Olympian level whereby you live a life of constant disappointment.

Rafer

How about Crysis?

AversionFX
(quoting that it mentions nothing of space) or a star trek fps.

... Seriously?

Grey
06-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Prey was a pretty incredible game, it had portals, it had gravity fluctuations, it had futuristic weapons, it had a better then average storyline for a FPS. The graphics were good and the controls were solid. What more do you want exactly?

Well I am judging from IW's last game here. Thats appropriate I think. I liked Prey until the point it turned into pure run&gun gameplay with not that awesome weapons and the realy realy typical Doom 3 Engine feeling which *every* D3E game has, no matter if its D3, Q4, ETQW or Prey. It did not feel unique enought, even the look was realy near to Q4.

Then again you seem to dislike Half-Life 2 which is one of the better games to come out in the past few years. So I would say your standards are set at some Olympian level whereby you live a life of constant disappointment.

Aw no. I played through HL like 12 1/2 times within the first 3 months. I am a Half-Life fanboy. But I still think HL was better then HL.

As I said: If I think of SciFi I dont' think of games like HL or other futuristic games. SciFi means for me *FAR* future with barely anything realistic in it.

@Rafer No.

Klade
06-22-2008, 09:38 AM
As I said: If I think of SciFi I dont' think of games like HL or other futuristic games. SciFi means for me *FAR* future with barely anything realistic in it.

@Rafer No.

If its a Call of Duty game and not a new IP, I think the chances of your version of Sci-Fi being developed are much smaller then what most people's version of Sci-Fi is. That being a game that uses technology not available or under development today. So laser guns instead of pistols etc.

AversionFX
06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
So laser guns instead of pistols etc.

This just struck me as odd. What do laser-powered weapons have to do with excluding pistols?

Grey
06-22-2008, 09:44 AM
If its a Call of Duty game and not a new IP, I think the chances of your version of Sci-Fi being developed are much smaller then what most people's version of Sci-Fi is. That being a game that uses technology not available or under development today. So laser guns instead of pistols etc.

Thats what I am talking about and wish to come true. Something unrealistic futuristic SciFi thingy with the tense and action level of CoD4 and without the cliche political themes of todays or past real world.

Well even if its not... especialy since CoD4 I gained trust in IW as never before and am probably delighted about everything they do.

Vyzov
06-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Gears of War? Set on earth with earth wepons.

Wrong. Try again.

Grey
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Wrong. Try again.

Yea okay but it looks like an earth scenario so it's realy irrelevant what it's called.

Schnoogs
06-22-2008, 10:13 AM
futuristic SciFi warfare is rare nowadays in FPS

Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4
Quake Wars
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Prey
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Doom
Doom 2
Doom 3
Gears of War

Yeah...pretty rare and none of those games ever really sold.

Adam Blue
06-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Quake
Quake 2
Quake 3
Quake 4
Quake Wars
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Prey
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Doom
Doom 2
Doom 3
Gears of War

Yeah...pretty rare and none of those games ever really sold.

Not only are some of those old, but they are recurring franchises. I see where the OP is going. We do need some more sci-fi.

Edit: I'm going to add that we have way too many assholes here. I know this is an internet forum, but this is Evil Avatar. Let's try to be mature.

Schnoogs
06-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Not only are some of those old, but they are recurring franchises. I see where the OP is going. We do need some more sci-fi.

We have a ton already. Other than WWII that's the most common genre of FPS

Grey
06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Okay Schnoogs apparently you just trying to offend me. Nice try, but I made my points pretty clear within several posts here and in the other thread. Just stop it, thanks.

Schnoogs
06-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Okay Schnoogs apparently you just trying to offend me. Nice try, but I made my points pretty clear within several posts here and in the other thread. Just stop it, thanks.

News flash...when people point out that you're wrong it's most likely not being done to offend you.

When your teachers marked you wrong did you accuse them of offending you?

Jukey
06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Stil dying for a space flight sim (Xwing vs Tie Fighter 2 PLEASE?!?! Hello?!)

After RTFA there is no mention of FPS, only Sci-Fi. One can always hope.

Exodus
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
i want a new freelancer :/

swiftdraw
06-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Stil dying for a space flight sim (Xwing vs Tie Fighter 2 PLEASE?!?! Hello?!)

After RTFA there is no mention of FPS, only Sci-Fi. One can always hope.

X3: The reunion is actually pretty good fully patched and with the new semi-official expansion mod. But X-wing vs. TIE fighter 2, or even just TIE fighter 2, would be nice.

Also, in terms of space based FPSes, something along the lines of a FPS Mass Effect would be bad at all. Maybe thats what this rumored game will be like.

B_Money
06-22-2008, 10:34 AM
The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea.
They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall
mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by
small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is
clear: To build and maintain those robots. Thank you.
-- Military school Commandant's graduation address, "The Secret War of
Lisa Simpson"

karak
06-22-2008, 10:41 AM
I would be ALL over a more realistic Space Marine style COD in space.

Jukey
06-22-2008, 10:50 AM
X3: The reunion is actually pretty good fully patched and with the new semi-official expansion mod.

Had been avoiding this so as not to have StarForce rape my computer.* I see now that I need to look for X3 Reunion 2.0 which is the re-release minus the malware. Thanks for the heads up! Wikipedia page on X3: Reunion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C2%B3:_Reunion)

*Sure would be nice to be able to game acceptably in a virtual machine! Grrr :mad:

Grey
06-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Had been avoiding this so as not to have StarForce rape my computer.* I see now that I need to look for X3 Reunion 2.0 which is the re-release minus the malware. Thanks for the heads up! Wikipedia page on X3: Reunion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C2%B3:_Reunion)

*Sure would be nice to be able to game acceptably in a virtual machine! Grrr :mad:

Well as much as I like X - be aware that it is nothing like a quick experience like most other space shooters. The learning curve is steap, the interface sucks like nothing else - but it es complex as no other space game also the most beautyfull and realistic space game out there.

The beginning will be hard, but once you got a decent ship (or fleet) it's worth every penny.

ElfShotTheFood
06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Sci-fi CoD? I'm pretty sure that game is called Killzone 2.

PathMaster
06-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Maybe they plan on doing Crysis right?!:eek:
Or maybe "better" is the more PC term.

TheDancinMan
06-22-2008, 11:22 AM
COD6, in space, by IW?

How awesome?

So awesome.

Spigot
06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
While you can add me to the list of people who are kind of sick of the generic sci-fi shooter, a game that is set in space but can tell a riveting story like CoD4 did would be fine by me. It's not so much the setting that bugs me as it is the way it is used.

What about a fantasy CoD game?

Call Of Duty: Modern Wandfare....

blair
06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
I sure hope that the first thing they'll tell you in the tutorial is "the enemy gate is down".

I'd love a hard scifi shooter, maybe something in the vein of "The Mote in God's Eye". Or something like Space 2063.

Kadoo
06-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Space is where series go to die!
Look at Jason X. I laughed so hard when I saw the preview for that in the theater.

It would be better as a spin off with a new name. That way if it's successful they can continue down that vein.

I'd like to see COD: Inner Space - The Obesity Offensive or The Bay of Pigs 2.

Wyrm
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Now, lets just hope it's true. I've always thought that these guys do a great job of capturing the feel of having hundreds of dudes on either side of you getting mowed down. Now, let that feeling translate into giant aliens vs. humans with badass weapons in a futuristic battlefield, and you've got next year's GOTY.

Wyrm
06-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Sci-fi CoD? I'm pretty sure that game is called Killzone 2.

No, because people will actually buy it if Call of Duty is in the name.

Hexxagonal
06-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Didn't Infinity Ward talk about how they had two different teams that were working on two different products prior to CoD4 crunch time? I'm guessing this would be what the other team was working on... it's just that they got put back on it after cod4 was released.

muddi900
06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Infinity Ward should try to make something besides an FPS. Or else they would turn into Neversoft.

ResistanceAddict
06-22-2008, 01:19 PM
COD6 = Halo? Yuck.

Isamura
06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
I think they are running out of enemies to fight. Unless you want to do Vietnam, which would have mixed feelings due to all the protests, and considering the US did not achieve victory in that war.

They will need to start setting their games in the future, and create a new menace.

DylonCorp
06-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Still waiting for my War of 1812 fps, thanks.

Disgustipated
06-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Still waiting for my War of 1812 fps, thanks.

"Mash the X button to cut reload times from 3 minutes to 2!"

Also, COD in Space would be AMAZING.

icronic
06-22-2008, 01:42 PM
What I'd personally like to see is some alternate history type of thing in the 70s or 80s something along the lines of World in Conflict. To me that's far more interesting than any futuristic war game ever could be. Kind of at a time where technology wasn't so advanced and war would have still been an up close and personal type affair.

Disgustipated
06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
What I'd personally like to see is some alternate history type of thing in the 70s or 80s something along the lines of World in Conflict. To me that's far more interesting than any futuristic war game ever could be. Kind of at a time where technology wasn't so advanced and war would have still been an up close and personal type affair.

So you mean one where Soviet Russia is kicking our ass? That'd be a really great idea. Sort of like Freedom Fighters.

Edit: Or Red Alert 2 style stuff?

Exodus
06-22-2008, 02:07 PM
to be honest with you i'd wish shiny or whoever has the matrix ip would give it up and let infinity ward re-do the craptastic job that was a total dis service to the matrix...

Eric_T_Cheng
06-22-2008, 02:24 PM
So another space marine FPS? I wonder what Yahtzee will say about that...?

icronic
06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
So you mean one where Soviet Russia is kicking our ass? That'd be a really great idea. Sort of like Freedom Fighters.

Edit: Or Red Alert 2 style stuff?

It doesn't really matter who it's against. You know for all it matters it could be America that's run by some psychotic dictator and the rest of the world that rises up against it, it really doesn't matter.

But in a fictional version of history, the entire planet is in a developers hands as a battle ground, from the largest city, to the most dense of jungles, to the smallest island or the south pole. The potential for epic battles in familiar places is enormous. Instead of just seeing Normandy or the middle east, over and over again.

I've always liked WWII games, not because of the setting, but because the combat was so close and the weapons just seem more fun to use. For the same reason I've always thought BF142 was the best of the Battlefield games.

51|RandoM
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see it if it were more realistic sci fi.
weightlesness, weapon recoil pushing you around. hull breaches etc.

Realistic sci-fi does not involve human foot soldiers, IMHO.

Wyrm
06-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Realistic sci-fi does not involve human foot soldiers, IMHO.

It could, provided it was a Starship Troopers-esque situation. Even then, there would have to be some pretty badass tech working on your side.

If they do some sort of sci-fi game with the same level of insanity that CoD4 had, well then I might just cream my fucking jeans.

I've been waiting for someone to do a sci-fi war epic and do it right. Show us the war. It's fun to play as a badass cyborg super soldier, but I also want to see that mother fucking meat grinder from the ground level. I want to see 9 foot aliens grab my best friend and tear his fucking limbs off. I want to see huge alien armadas bombarding our position from space. I want to deploy, in first person, from carrier to atmosphere to ground, and storm out of the dropship with my gun up.

These are things IW could deliver me, and as such, I'm more excited about this than I have been about anything in a long time.

colonel 32dll
06-22-2008, 04:19 PM
So Star Wars mst piss you off...

colonel 32dll
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
so many foot soldiers and all...

Dark Prince
06-22-2008, 05:02 PM
This could be cool if true...think about it.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in Space...

Wilkz07
06-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Call of Duty 7: The Battle for Atlantis.

activision is now just milking this franchise. just like what EA does when they get their hands on a property.

Spigot
06-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I like your ideas, Wyrm, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Thumper
06-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but somebody NEEDS to make a Starship Troopers game (based off the book, not the movie). A quasi-tactical fps with powered armor. Essentially CoD4 with jetpacks!

Thumper
06-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Hah! Guess wyrm beat me to it...
Yeah, exactly like that. CoD4 atmosphere with Tribes gameplay mechanics coupled with a Halo backstory (except with better execution :mad:, let's say a Mass Effect backstory instead). If somebody could recreate the sickening intensity of a Starship Troopers orbital insertion and have a sufficiently epic story as a backdrop it would erase years of merely mediocre sci-fi shooters from my mind. Eric Nylund's novels (both Halo and otherwise) would be a perfect place to start looking for the appropriate mood to set.

Asmodan
06-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I'd like to see something gritty and 'realistic' involving humans in space. Hopefully they'll stay away from aliens and Halo-esque style settings and go with something more akin to human colonies fighting it out.

Dukefrukem
06-22-2008, 06:32 PM
this was predictable...

battlefield 1942 - CoD1-3
battlefield 2 - CoD4
battlefield 2142 - CoD6

Wasson_
06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
The only time realistic sci-fi could involve foot soldiers is in a setting where both sides have the capacity to prevent any large mechanized units from being deployed and or sophisticated guided munitions are capable of being utilized due to jamming and interception equipment. For instance, two battle groups of roughly equal strength in stationary orbit around a planet, they have to hold at the exact opposite side of each other. Attempts to launch long range strikes is difficult, your at risk from every angle.

You've got to get planet side and take the ground to reduce their defensive envelope.

...I could go on and on about how the scenario could play out and all the things that go through my mind about fictional sci-fi combat...but I don't want to subject you all to walls of BS pseudo-science text walls. The way I envision things make alot of sense, but they are also stylized in such a way that they don't sound as horribly dreary as real life...I guess what I'm saying, is that'd it make a great game. :D

Dukefrukem
06-22-2008, 06:34 PM
There are some funny comments around here...

guys, all it's gonna be is 2142... the end...

Thumper
06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Maybe something that could make it a little more "personal" like wasson is saying could be some kind of futuristic special forces. That could make for entirely infantry based battles, maybe quelling colonial rebellions or some such nonsense. Unfortunately it would probably take away some of the intensity that CoD is known for if it's only small-scale engagements.

Wasson_
06-22-2008, 07:23 PM
It could be alot like CoD4 in many aspects, you just replace the chopper with a essentially something, similar raining laser beams or plasma bolts down on your opponents, or perhaps you can choose rather a deployable turret, that falls from the sky and then will score kills for you until it's taken out, an airstrike could be like a minature "ion-cannon" ala C&C. Quake Wars has something like that for the Strogg...it's pretty bad ass.

but then there are other things that really can change up the game play as far as CoD style. With the perks, you have like actual equipment that become part of your individual suit Juggarnaut is like your shields are a little stronger (you already have recharging vitality so...yeah) Stealth generators to enhance optical camouflage, jump jets, enhanced sensors. and I for one would appreciate attention to vitality other than "shielding" or the part that is self perpetuating. You'd have different types shielding, a type that continually recharges slowly, and a type that needs time to initiate a full recharge (Halo style). You could even have a suit control system ala Crysis. The armor and customization of the powered suit itself would not escape scrunity either.

In the end, we approach what is at heart an FPS, but has barrowed elements from sci-fi sim games such as Mechwarrior and various space combat sim games.

Sandman
06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I'll take Call of Duty in space if they make it realistic sci-fi and not outlandish sci-fi. Keep aliens out of it or to a minimal; keep it grounded in real world space exploration in the possible far future and not make it a Halo clone. If you look at Star Trek : Enterprise and how they showed earth in it's first space explorations that's a good starting point.

inmostlight
06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Look at Jason X. I laughed so hard when I saw the preview for that in the theater.

Maybe they could follow the logic of the Leprechaun series. After the version in space, we get Call of Duty In Da Hood.

MelbaToast
06-22-2008, 07:46 PM
this was predictable...

battlefield 1942 - CoD1-3
battlefield 2 - CoD4
battlefield 2142 - CoD6

You missed 5 in that comparison there, turbo. Try again.

Wyrm
06-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I'll take Call of Duty in space if they make it realistic sci-fi and not outlandish sci-fi. Keep aliens out of it or to a minimal; keep it grounded in real world space exploration in the possible far future and not make it a Halo clone. If you look at Star Trek : Enterprise and how they showed earth in it's first space explorations that's a good starting point.

I want to fight aliens. If we're doing a Sci-fi FPS epic war game, I don't want to fight humans. That's fucking boring. I want to see a new, nasty kind of alien that makes it difficult to sleep when I quit playing. I want a new enemy like the Covenant in Halo (like the first Halo, not the sequels where they tried to make us care about the enemy's plight). I don't want a game like Halo, because Call of Duty is not Halo. It provides a more visceral view of war, and in many ways, a superior experience.

Then, Halo has always been more about the enemy AI, which Call of Duty games sorely lack. So, if they're going to do aliens, they need to be completely different from the Russians, Nazis, etc that we've fought in all the other Call of Duty games. If the first level of this new one has them hiding behind cover and popping their heads up to shoot at me, then respawning when I do finally pop them, I'm going to pull the disc out and stomp it into a very fine powder.

Adam Blue
06-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Well, that was the point of the movie...they had been like that for many sequels. If you didn't get that, then...well, there's not much I can say.

Great fucking movie btw.

Phanto
06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Wait a minute can they announce some details about the "upcoming game" on E3 even though Activision said there are not going to E3?

Sandman
06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I want to fight aliens. If we're doing a Sci-fi FPS epic war game, I don't want to fight humans. That's fucking boring. I want to see a new, nasty kind of alien that makes it difficult to sleep when I quit playing. I want a new enemy like the Covenant in Halo (like the first Halo, not the sequels where they tried to make us care about the enemy's plight). I don't want a game like Halo, because Call of Duty is not Halo. It provides a more visceral view of war, and in many ways, a superior experience.

Then, Halo has always been more about the enemy AI, which Call of Duty games sorely lack. So, if they're going to do aliens, they need to be completely different from the Russians, Nazis, etc that we've fought in all the other Call of Duty games. If the first level of this new one has them hiding behind cover and popping their heads up to shoot at me, then respawning when I do finally pop them, I'm going to pull the disc out and stomp it into a very fine powder.

I'd rather be fighting nazis or whatever in space over the exploration of space...that would be more interesting to me than another man vs alien shoot-out.

Dukefrukem
06-22-2008, 09:00 PM
You missed 5 in that comparison there, turbo. Try again.

Umm no i didn't. No one cares about 5. Just like no one cares about 3. We're talking IW here.

MelbaToast
06-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Umm no i didn't. No one cares about 5. Just like no one cares about 3. We're talking IW here.

Funny, you cared enough to put 3 in your original comparison. :rolleyes:

Dukefrukem
06-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Funny, you cared enough to put 3 in your original comparison. :rolleyes:

So quick to judge...

Wyrm
06-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I'd rather be fighting nazis or whatever in space over the exploration of space...that would be more interesting to me than another man vs alien shoot-out.

I've always been happier shooting at aliens, but if there was a compelling reason to shoot at other humans, I'm in, definitely. If I'm just shooting at them because they're the bad guys, I could give a shit.

Wyrm
06-22-2008, 09:10 PM

I'm of the same opinion about these games. 3 (and likewise 5 as well) simply isn't as good as the IW games, and there's no denying that. Playing them makes it painfully obvious that while they are indeed using the same tools that IW used to make the game, they're not nearly as talented at developing a game. And if you're excited about playing another Call of Duty set in WWII, that's great. I've done that already, and I didn't particularly care for Treyarch's stab at CoD, so I'll skip 5 and wait impatiently for IW to fuck shit up again.

saulob
06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
(...)
Half-Life2? Set on earth, with earth and semi-scifi weapons (they sucked compared to the original Half-Life) (...)

Yeah, that weapon sucked, what was the name... gravity gun :rolleyes:

Grey
06-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, that weapon sucked, what was the name... gravity gun :rolleyes:

I rather meant the real weapons. And I still prefer the snarks, the gauss gun, the gluon gun, the barnacle, the hive hand, the displacer, the shockroach and of course the spore launcher OVER the gravity gun.

BladeRunner
06-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I certainly enjoyed all of the previous Call of Duty games so I'll definitely give this one a chance too. If they can bring the same level of excellence to this like they did with Call of Duty 4 then this could be a genre defining game.

Isamura
06-22-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd rather fight cyborgs or robots (http://www.robotuprising.com/home.htm), than aliens. Give me terminators or cyons, not covenant or predators. Strogg wouldn't be so bad, as they are a good mix between cyborgs and zombies.

Multiplayer would be the only obstacle. Most people wouldn't want to fight as the aliens or machines. Also, the game mechanics are what I love about COD. I don't want to have to shoot an enemy 5 times before he falls down. I'd rather have powerful weapons that blow off robotic limbs with a single shot, and have them crawl after you! DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY!

bryan
06-22-2008, 11:45 PM
I rather meant the real weapons. And I still prefer the snarks, the gauss gun, the gluon gun, the barnacle, the hive hand, the displacer, the shockroach and of course the spore launcher OVER the gravity gun.

Now that you mentioned it, HL really did have a much better weapon selection. I really need to replay it. I might have to spring for the Source one.

As for COD, I'd love one with a hard sci-fi setting. Though that would probably mean some sort of armored suits.

Morpheus
06-23-2008, 04:01 AM
You think "futuristic SciFi" FPS' are rare? Halo, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Gears of War and Doom come to mind, and that's just off the top of my head.

Personally, I hope and pray that they're not taking Call of Duty into the far future. If IW wants to start a new franchise with that setting, great. But leave CoD in the (more or less) present day.

Exactly. They should keep it in the present, maybe go something like 10-15 years out into the future, but not more than that.

I would love Modern Warfare 2!

Dukefrukem
06-23-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm of the same opinion about these games. 3 (and likewise 5 as well) simply isn't as good as the IW games, and there's no denying that. Playing them makes it painfully obvious that while they are indeed using the same tools that IW used to make the game, they're not nearly as talented at developing a game. And if you're excited about playing another Call of Duty set in WWII, that's great. I've done that already, and I didn't particularly care for Treyarch's stab at CoD, so I'll skip 5 and wait impatiently for IW to fuck shit up again.

I'll still play 5 if it comes to PC. if it doesn't than f it.

51|RandoM
06-23-2008, 07:34 AM
By the time space marines exist, infantry combat *will* be a videogame. It will be bots and remote-operated units, not meat.

jpublic
06-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Screw all this noise. Give me a FPS based in a Syndicate/Cyberpunk-style world. Now *that* would be cool and original.

51|RandoM
06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Screw all this noise. Give me a FPS based in a Syndicate/Cyberpunk-style world. Now *that* would be cool and original.

They did, it is called Shadowrun.

It was fairly cool and original and then it was sent out to die as a marketing bullet point for Vista. Once they had what little mileage they could get out of it for Vista they then turned off the life support for both versions.

BladeRunner
06-23-2008, 08:39 AM
By the time space marines exist, infantry combat *will* be a videogame. It will be bots and remote-operated units, not meat.

I agree...already today we have remote powered drones, etc. The idea that humans will actively engage each other in the battlefield seems less likely the further ahead we try to predict what combat will be like.

Between robotics, AI and advanced communications and imagery what would be the point of putting human life in harms way?

Adam Blue
06-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree...already today we have remote powered drones, etc. The idea that humans will actively engage each other in the battlefield seems less likely the further ahead we try to predict what combat will be like.

Between robotics, AI and advanced communications and imagery what would be the point of putting human life in harms way?

Well, you never know, because doesn't BSG use older tech because newer tech can be countered?

Exodus
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
babylon 5 please

51|RandoM
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, you never know, because doesn't BSG use older tech because newer tech can be countered?

BSG is a pretty poor benchmark for hard sci-fi. :)

They have computers, what they do not have is networked computers because somehow the enemy software can automatically infect cables, just not anything else. In short: it is ridiculous.

That episode was so funny, their network cables were 2-3 inches in diameter. Mr. Gaeta, who has spent the last 4+ years on an outdated battlestar where network computers do not exist and are not allowed to exist somehow still manages to create a layered defense of 5 firewalls and compex enough intrusion agents so that they can report the compromisation of each level of firewall without themselves being compromised.

Don't even get me started on the overuse of atmospheric flight mechanics and jargon that they routinely roll out for spaceflight. This one is particularly annoying because of how they cherry-pick the coolest bits of spaceflight like your orientation being completely decoupled from your direction of travel while comfortably ignoring everything that makes most of what they do impossible.

Particularly entertaining is the weaponry of their fighters. Not only are they guns, they're actually traditional guns with powder cartridges. The temperature and pressure extremes of space and not once has one of those automatic rifles jammed, not once in the three seasons I've watched.

kickmybum
06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
I think they need to go the other direction with CoD. Like a Napoleonic France setting, lol, except that the gun selection will be, like, the 3 single shot/pushy stick reload guns that that the world used back then :D.

Dukefrukem
06-23-2008, 01:50 PM
BSG is a pretty poor benchmark for hard sci-fi. :)

They have computers, what they do not have is networked computers because somehow the enemy software can automatically infect cables, just not anything else. In short: it is ridiculous.

That episode was so funny, their network cables were 2-3 inches in diameter. Mr. Gaeta, who has spent the last 4+ years on an outdated battlestar where network computers do not exist and are not allowed to exist somehow still manages to create a layered defense of 5 firewalls and compex enough intrusion agents so that they can report the compromisation of each level of firewall without themselves being compromised.

Don't even get me started on the overuse of atmospheric flight mechanics and jargon that they routinely roll out for spaceflight. This one is particularly annoying because of how they cherry-pick the coolest bits of spaceflight like your orientation being completely decoupled from your direction of travel while comfortably ignoring everything that makes most of what they do impossible.

Particularly entertaining is the weaponry of their fighters. Not only are they guns, they're actually traditional guns with powder cartridges. The temperature and pressure extremes of space and not once has one of those automatic rifles jammed, not once in the three seasons I've watched.

I remember that episode. I didn't question anything because i was already at a loss.

CptTripps
06-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm sure whatever IW does with COD6 will be awesome, I am just not sure COD is what this article is referring to.

And really, COD5 looks pretty cool to me and I am down for some pacific battles (rental). I played COD3 and while not as good as 2, or 4, it was far from a terrible game. I am going to at least try before I condemn something, If I didn't I would still be running 98SE because ME hosed it up so bad that I dare not touch XP.