PDA

View Full Version : Hands-on with Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

swillw
04-01-2008, 03:03 AM
From the Paris press event last week, HEXUS.gaming has a comprehensive hands-on preview (http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=12500) on the upcoming MMORPG, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

We played a 'scenario' as Elena the Bright Wizard. The map was the called Reikland Hills, an unsurprising hilly area, with plenty of rocks ideal for gaining a vantage point to unleash devastating spells on enemies, and with trees that make good cover from the large open spaces where the majority of the fighting was taking place. Our objective was to try and control zones marked by flags that were dotted around the map. The action is totally point-based and it the first team to 500 points wins the battle. In this case, you get points for killing the opposition and keeping control of the zones."

Read the full preview :: here (http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=12500)

Ghostbear
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Great write up. I am really looking forward to this game.

H2o Ninja
04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Great read, it sounds really awesome. I can't wait to get my WAHHG on.

asimonk
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I've only heard good things about this game from people who haven't played it. Those who have, have long uninstalled it.

Thumper
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I've only heard good things about this game from people who haven't played it. Those who have, have long uninstalled it.

It doesn't come out until Fall 2008, so unless you're talking about people in the closed beta...

edit: Bah, didn't really give any new information. I think everybody wants to know more about the open world pvp (keep/city sieges and whatnot) than the scenarios. It's probably safe to assume that anybody following this game pre-release has probably played CTF and team deathmatch at some point in their lives, giving hands-on previews on stuff like that doesn't do anything for me.

asimonk
04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
What is a beta test, Alex?

Suicidal ShiZuru
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM

It doesn't come out until Fall 2008

Should be of '09.

lockwoodx
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
For an unbiased look at warhammer online from a long time tester, check out this article (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34786).

Suicidal ShiZuru
04-01-2008, 11:27 AM
For an unbiased look at warhammer online from a long time tester, check out this article (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34786).

Like I said, should be of '09.

DeadPixel
04-01-2008, 11:35 AM
I realize the game is still in closed beta and formulating opinions of gameplay is too premature. We can however formulate opinions on the art direction and the overall style based on many gameplay movies and screenshots floating around various sites.

I can tell you I was a huge DAOC fan, the art direction, the style of the game and I was looking forward to Mythic's next title Imperator Online only to have it canceled. Naturally I switched my focus on their next game WAR, but everything I see about makes me lose interest. The overall style of the game is just not Mythic. Dare I say it looks too much like WoW without being bashed with comments like, "WoW didn't invent Orcs"? I'm merely talking about the art style right now, I have not played the game.

I really just wish they went with a more unique style instead of trying to blend in with popularity. Despite all this, I will of course try the game when it comes out.

randir14
04-01-2008, 11:38 AM
It doesn't look like WoW at all to me. The character and armor designs are a lot less cartoony.

Tabasco
04-01-2008, 11:42 AM

This is what I have basically heard from a lot of people in the beta.

captainstrombosis
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Not really.

I can tell you I was a huge DAOC fan, the art direction, the style of the game and I was looking forward to Mythic's next title Imperator Online only to have it canceled. Naturally I switched my focus on their next game WAR, but everything I see about makes me lose interest. The overall style of the game is just not Mythic. Dare I say it looks too much like WoW without being bashed with comments like, "WoW didn't invent Orcs"? I'm merely talking about the art style right now, I have not played the game.

The style is directly taken from the Warhammer table top miniatures. They made the mistake of lightening up the atmosphere though. The similarity between WoW and WAR can be traced back to Warcraft 1, which was heavily influenced by Warhammer.

By Fall '08 I have faith the game will be finished.

Suicidal ShiZuru
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
By Fall '08 I have faith the game will be finished.

So youve been in the beta...? cough

Rune_74
04-01-2008, 12:28 PM
That was a badly written article with lots of errors, they did not edit it well. However, it was an interesting view of Warhammer, not necessarily everyones view though since they even stated they prefer action over story.

asimonk
04-01-2008, 12:28 PM
So youve been in the beta...? cough

Obviously not!

captainstrombosis
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Obviously not!

Yes I have, but I am not going to say any more than "Wait and see". It's not all the doom and gloom people are making it out to be.

The reason why you hear so much bad press is because those that like the game (which I wasn't always a member of, it was atrocious for a while) can't talk without breaking the NDA. Those that don't like the game, have no problem breaking the NDA.

Arnold Darkshner
04-01-2008, 01:23 PM
The style is directly taken from the Warhammer table top miniatures. They made the mistake of lightening up the atmosphere though. The similarity between WoW and WAR can be traced back to Warcraft 1, which was heavily influenced by Warhammer.

EDIT: After reading that other article - I have to retract my statements. Apparently the lighting system isn't even in place, which could greatly effect how this game looks. My bad.

lockwoodx
04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
EDIT: After reading that other article - I have to retract my statements. Apparently the lighting system isn't even in place, which could greatly effect how this game looks. My bad.

Appreciate you taking the time to read the second article. It tells things more realistically. The first article wasn't bad but it was dripping with fanboism.

S1n1star
04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
The thing that the other article misses completely is that it assumes class balance will be easy and that adding and changing art/animation is easy. Both are extremely difficult under the best circumstances and are mind rendingly so when you are as late as this game is. With their plans to launch so near to RotLK, I have very little faith in this games success and that is not a good position to be in when you have a company like Bioware in the fold ready to replace you as EA's go to MMO group.