PDA

View Full Version : Intel acquires Offset Software

Grey
02-21-2008, 08:15 AM
The official Project Offset site says (http://www.projectoffset.com/news.php) that Intel has acquired the Studio.

Today we have some major news to announce.

Intel has acquired Offset Software. Yes, you read it correctly!

Project Offset is going strong and we are excited about things to come.

Stay tuned.

No further information was revealed.

I wonder what Intel wants with a game studio.

Roc Ingersol
02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Get a top-flight third party engine ready for their new CPU/GPU mash-up architectures?
(Larrabee, Gesher, CSI)

Dakar
02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Not sure what Intel wants with them. But I could definitely have seen another company (Nvidia?) snatching them up and hoping to have the next Unreal Engine in their hands with a high end engine that you can license to dozens of game companies.

PathMaster
02-21-2008, 08:37 AM
I vaguely remember Project Offset. Most of it still looks good, although some of it looks outdated (more then likely old caps/vids).

Edit: I take that back (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22923.html).

TrackZero
02-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Interesting. Maybe like MS, Intel sees other people generating revenue on what they may view as their platform (I know, I know, just saying that could be their perspective) and wants to get into the game publishing business ala MS with Microsoft Game Studios.

They definitely picked a cool as game to buy though, Project Offset looks great.

Mr.Green
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
I wonder what Intel wants with a game studio.

Profit !

Ancalagon
02-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Real time ray tracing + CPU based havok physics + 8-16 core CPU + intels rumoured discrete graphics = ??????

Grey
02-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Profit !

Isnt the pc market dead (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45025) ? ;)

but seriously. While the acquisition of Havok seems logical in the aspect of integrated physical chips, this one is kind of a surpising. I mean normaly hardware devs buying other hardware devs and software devs buying other studios.

Maybe its related to the PCGA or also to Havok. I realy dont know, well see. Hopefully this will push the development of PO since it looks promising from day one.

Phanto
02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow Project Offset, long time since I heard about them.

GigaFuzz
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I vaguely remember Project Offset. Most of it still looks good, although some of it looks outdated (more then likely old caps/vids).

Edit: I take that back (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22923.html).

While that looks awesome, and probably as good or better than anything out there now, the gap isn't as big as it was when the first Project Offset videos came out. Back then, Offset looked far more advanced than anything else at the time.

I remember the video of the dragon on the rock and being blown away. If they can keep that kind of visual quality and animation, together with good gameplay, it'll be - as Michael Bay would say - awesome!

H.Bogard
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Ah yes, Offeset. When the first techdemo came out, the team consisted of only three guys... very cool stuff.

nixpayn
02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
hm, i hadnt heard of this game, but wow it looks pretty sweet.

i like it when the hardware guys make games because it always runs well (on their hardware at least).

no games run better under windows than microsoft games hehe. stands to reason that intel should be able to do some pretty cool stuff.

MacD
02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Heh...no suprise. I called this months ago, specifically in a thread about making games to sell engines, I posted that Offset was (partly) making that game to demo the engine so they could sell the engine.

And now they have sold the engine, lock stock and barrel....Intel must have paid a bundle.

51|RandoM
02-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Intel is heavily diversified, and have been for ages. You just never hear/see what they are doing in other verticals.

cp#
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I am very excited for this game. Looks fucking fantastic

digitalErich
02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
My money is on Intel tweaking the engine such that it runs really well on Intel chipsets and offering the engine license either free or at a very reduced licensing cost. Seeing as gamers are big early adopters, Intel would be smart to get a solid engine out there that runs very well on Intel hardware.

Xerxes
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Not sure if I'm all that interested in it now.

H.Bogard
02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
no games run better under windows than microsoft games hehe. stands to reason that intel should be able to do some pretty cool stuff.

Gears and Halo PC would like to say "Hi" @ 30FPS.

Also, Microsoft aren't hardware guys.

Disgustipated
02-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Also, Microsoft aren't hardware guys.

Gears runs at 60+ FPS on my hardware, maxed out. Halo PC ran at over 60 FPS on my 9800 Pro.

H.Bogard
02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Gears runs at 60+ FPS on my hardware, maxed out. Halo PC ran at over 60 FPS on my 9800 Pro.

Yeah, gears ran great... no doubt (Aside from the whole GFWL crashing and the horrible texture pop-in), but Halo ran like ass on hardware three times more powerful than an Xbox. I hear the same about Halo 2 as well.

ElectricMonk
02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
While that looks awesome, and probably as good or better than anything out there now, the gap isn't as big as it was when the first Project Offset videos came out. Back then, Offset looked far more advanced than anything else at the time.

I remember the video of the dragon on the rock and being blown away. If they can keep that kind of visual quality and animation, together with good gameplay, it'll be - as Michael Bay would say - awesome!

Yeah I seem to recall it looking so good it was on a different level entirely than the other games being released. Now you can at least see similar techniques in the videos (it still looks great though).

It'd be interesting to see if it's improved much this past year.

51|RandoM
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM

Microsoft didn't do either of those PC ports...

Gearbox did Halo and Epic did Gears.

D.D.D.
02-22-2008, 03:09 AM
Real time ray tracing + CPU based havok physics + 8-16 core CPU + intels rumoured discrete graphics = ??????

I remember people talking about the N64 being capable of real time ray tracing. Maybe this time it'll actually happen~ :rolleyes:

Grey
02-22-2008, 06:42 AM
I remember people talking about the N64 being capable of real time ray tracing. Maybe this time it'll actually happen~ :rolleyes:

You can be quite sure that RTRT wont come anytime soon if ever. (in the way ppl. expect it)

Ancalagon
02-22-2008, 06:57 AM
You can be quite sure that RTRT wont come anytime soon if ever. (in the way ppl. expect it)

They can do it real time at fairly low res using a current quad core.

So, its not that far off.

Grey
02-22-2008, 07:51 AM
They can do it real time at fairly low res using a current quad core.

So, its not that far off.

I know that, spoke to the Q3RT team myself. But there are many factors which simply wont make sense in the full use of RT like in actual render programs (though even there it depends much on the scene - shadowmaps are still used in combination with raytracing)

It will maybe partly integrated in the future for some elements, but I am pretty sure that full rtrt wont be done due to its unnecessary hardware usage.

More highres cubemapping for example will look almost the same as raytraced mirroring, but with not even a quarter of the necessary hardware.

3D is a fake and it will ever be (i doubt that we see a real holodeck in the next 200 years :>) - the immersion is the thing that matters, and if that can be achieved with less realistic systems that needs lower specs I am sure it will be done that way.

PathMaster
02-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Good write up on the purchase from Ars (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080225-why-intel-bought-project-offset-and-the-offset-engine.html).