PDA

View Full Version : Sega Master System Games Comming to VC

Krull
01-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Coming from WiiFandom (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/01/25/segaton-master-system-games-on-the-vc-next-month/) February will see the first two Sega Master System titles released on VC:

Fist of the North Star 600 points and Fantasy Zone 500 points released in Japan with more territories to follow.

They are also reporting that Game Gear games are coming as well.

I never had a Master System so I don't know if these games are any good.

Sl1pstream
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Alex Kidd in Miracle World please!

Also, rampart...and Klax...and Sonic 1 (the real first sonic, not that megadrive game they call Sonic The Hedgehog)...and My Hero and Kung Fu Kid and, and....

captainspankypants
01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I've played Fist of the North Star. It was sort of a Double Dragon-style beat-em-up, and pretty much shit. The only thing it had going for it was the license, and the fact that people exploded when you beat them.

"You're already dead..."

SPLAT

solinari6
01-25-2008, 12:51 PM
There's a Legend of Zelda rip off on the Master system that was really cool... Golden Ax Warrior, I think?

ResistanceAddict
01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
After playing on later systems, is there anything on the Master System even worth playing?

Sl1pstream
01-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes!

There's Rampart and Alex Kidd in Miracle World and the first Sonic game (which hasn't been re-released anywhere). Oh, and Klax.

ResistanceAddict
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes!

There's Rampart and Alex Kidd in Miracle World and the first Sonic game (which hasn't been re-released anywhere). Oh, and Klax.

Rampart and Klax are already on other, newer systems. That's my point. Seems like that with most of MS's lineup.

As far as the Sonic game, what's the name of that game?

Sl1pstream
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Sonic The Hedgehog.

It has different levels than the Mega Drive version. Better levels.

Chrome Dome
01-25-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't have a Wii but I did have a SMS. About the only titles that rush to mind that I'd like to own are Wonder Boy in Monster Land and assorted Alex Kidd titles.

Wackman3000
01-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I owned a SMS for a while when I saw one at a garage sale. I paid $10 for it with Wonder Boy, some terrible plane game and the zapper gun thing without a game for it.

I have no idea what happened to it...

Chrome Dome
01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
I owned a SMS for a while when I saw one at a garage sale. I paid $10 for it with Wonder Boy, some terrible plane game and the zapper gun thing without a game for it.

I have no idea what happened to it...

Wonder Boy in Monster Land should not be confused with just plain old Wonder Boy where you're riding around on a skateboard. The former is one of my favorite platformers of that era, the latter was never worth owning.

Norse
01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I had SMS with two games; Alex Kidd in MW and Miracle Warriors. I spent a lot of time with both, but I don't really remember if they were any good or not :)

Skytram
01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
You spelled "coming" incorrectly in the title. *giggle* He said coming.

Zander
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
The original Phantasy Star.

Period.

Yeti
01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Psycho Fox FTW.

There's a few great titles on the Master System. Shinobi is a great example of how to take an arcade game, throw away everything except the concept and name and make it even better. All the Alex Kidd games are great imo, even the ultra hard AK in Shinobi World. There's a few great shooter games like SDI.

Anyways, Psycho Fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_Fox) was and still is one of the finest 2d platformers and SEGA should release that.

critch
01-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Alex Kidd in Miracle World please!

Also, rampart...and Klax...and Sonic 1 (the real first sonic, not that megadrive game they call Sonic The Hedgehog)...and My Hero and Kung Fu Kid and, and....

Uh, Sonic Genesis came out in June of 91. Sonic Master System came out in October. And it's the same game on game gear, which has been re-released as bonuses several times.

Sl1pstream
01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Really? I still say it's the better version.

Rotting
01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
The original Phantasy Star.

Period.

I had this on SMS. Great game.

maharahaj
01-25-2008, 02:23 PM
I loved Fantasy Zone. One of the wackiest games available for the Master System. Tough as nails too; the bosses typically took up half the screen and their bullets took up another 1/4 of the screen.

Think of it as a low gravity SHUMP where you can go left or right (as the game world is cylindrical). You have to defeat a certain number of enemy spawning hubs floating in each world. The longer you take to defeat them the more enemies you have to face. Defeat all of them in a level (like 6 or so) and the world fades to a rediculous boss battle. You can chose what weapons and powerups from a shop that is accessible from a floating icon that intermittently shows itself. Boss battles speed up the longer they take to beat.

The whole game is colored like an acid trip too.

Edit: Oh, wikipedia has a write up about it, and it is similar to my own description. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Zone

Vyzov
01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Crap, I can't remember if Shining in the Darkness was on the Master System.

Also, for the love of my phone bill, a mobile version of EvAv. and no, the archive page doesn't work as one. You can't post from it. :( Stupid country and it's third world data rates...

Zander
01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Crap, I can't remember if Shining in the Darkness was on the Master System.

Nah, that was Genesis/Mega-Drive.

Chris_D
01-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Shining in the Darkness was on the Megadrive, but there was a dumbed down port on the SMS I think.

Great games include Ys 1, which had a vastly ramped up difficulty over the TG16 version, and better colour palette, but no CD audio or anime style shots.

Also, Ultima 4 was a really well done console port of an incredible PC RPG. They adapted the controls really well to the 2 button controller, and even improved the graphics and added sound and music (the pc game had none).

TrackZero
01-25-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't have a Wii but I did have a SMS. About the only titles that rush to mind that I'd like to own are Wonder Boy in Monster Land and assorted Alex Kidd titles.

Shinobi was alright, but the arcade version was better (MAME it up!).

Afterburner was alright as well (again, arcade version was better).

Space Harrier, Choplifter, Golden Axe, Quartet and Rastan are all quite good.

Edit: The problem with many of the better SMS games is that they were down-ports of Mega Drive ones. So you're better playing them on that system instead.

Headcase
01-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Sonic I haven't played on SMS but have played the GG version on Sonic Adventure DX (which technically I can play on Wii).

Is that last level as hard in the SMS version as it is in the Game Gear version?

themaninfinity
01-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Quartet, Rastan, Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap(already released as Dragon's Curse for TG16 on the VC), GOLVELLIUS(ZOMG BEST GAME EVAR), Ys 1, Kenseiden, Fantasy Zone, all the Alex Kidd's, so many good SMS games. An underappreciated system, IMO.

Best part about porting to VC: The pause button won't be on the console.

Digital Outlaw
01-27-2008, 05:12 AM
I had a master system and cannot remember any games except the crappy zapper game that came with it. I do not think that is a good thing. SMS games should be 400 points since it is lower than the NES.

dante
01-27-2008, 01:26 PM
so this is the first of the two new VC consoles, what do we think the other is? Personally I'm hoping for the 64DD purely for the F-zero X expansion/track editor thing.

KamaItachi
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
The master System is probably one of the most underrated platforms, a lot of people overlooked it despite what was actually a pretty good library in favour of the original NES and the Megadrive/Genesis.

As well as some fo the titles people have mentioned here, I'd also through out the Asterix platformer, which was great.

Chris_D
01-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I had a master system and cannot remember any games except the crappy zapper game that came with it. I do not think that is a good thing. SMS games should be 400 points since it is lower than the NES.

Lower than the NES? What's that mean? The SMS hardware is actually more technically capable than the NES. If you mean the NES had more good games, well that's pretty inarguable. But by that estimation, the TG16 should be 400 points as well.

Anyway, it's sad that you missed out on the good SMS games. Not surprising since I gather it was almost dead on arrival in the US. Funnily enough, it was actually more successful than the NES in Europe. If Nintendo has access to the Europe SMS back catalog, then there might be some hidden gems there that aren't so well known.