PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Arcade Wednesday - Gripshift and Arkadian Warriors

bapenguin
12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
It's another double header this week with two completely different games.

First up is Arkadian Warriors (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/a/arkadianwarriorsxboxlivearcade/) which is an action/rpg title with online co-op and randomly generated dungeons. This one will set you back 800 MS Points.

Next up is the previously released PSN title Gripshift (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/a/gripshiftxboxlivearcade/) now adapted for the Xbox. Gripshift is a carnage style racer and will set you back 800 MS Points.

Arkadian Warriors really came out of nowhere. It looks pretty interesting, might have to give that one a go.

Norse
12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm surprised to see Gripshift this soon. Wasn't just announced for XBLA a couple of weeks ago?

Never heard of Arkadian Warriors, but it sounds interesting.

I'll give both a try. That's what I love about XBLA; trial versions FTW!!

Gorvi
12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Arkadian Warriors looks pretty interesting. And, well, GripShift is really fun, but I already have that on the PSP.

UnderHero5
12-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I recommend Gripshift very much. I have it on PS3 and it's quite excellent, with a ton of content. I found it to be a big improvement over the PSP version (which I had also owned).

Arkadian Warriors looks neat. I love hack'n'slash games, so I'll definitely give it a try. I just hope it has enough content to make playing worth it (you know, items and whatnot). Part of the draw of these types of games is the loot, for me.

NotJeff
12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Arkadian Warriors looks neat. I love hack'n'slash games, so I'll definitely give it a try. I just hope it has enough content to make playing worth it (you know, items and whatnot). Part of the draw of these types of games is the loot, for me.

It looks like it was done by the same company as Assault Heroes. I was just playing (and enjoying) that this weekend.

Mortis
12-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Still no Omega 5. :( I have money, just show me the download.

Deunnero
12-10-2007, 11:08 AM
AW is going to be a fun little game, can't wait.

I have the feeling that 2008 is going to be an RPG fueled year for Xbox in general, so this is a good start on the XBLA front.

Gorvi
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
AW is going to be a fun little game, can't wait.

I have the feeling that 2008 is going to be an RPG fueled year for Xbox in general, so this is a good start on the XBLA front.
What's coming out other the LO? I want more RPGs, this gen has been very disappointing outside of Oblivion so far. :(

MrE
Wow, both look interesting. I'm going to have to demo both. I have MS points burning a virtual hole in my pocket just waiting to be spent.

Digital Outlaw
Hey Bap, both links go to the same place. Arkadian does look good, lets see how it looks when im playin it.

Gerbs
12-10-2007, 11:21 AM
I hope AW is half as fun as it looks.

CptTripps
12-10-2007, 11:26 AM
AW has my interest indeed. Live Xo-Op play could probably turn a mediocre rpg into a decent one. If it's good, damn straight I will get it.

Phades
12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
What's coming out other the LO? I want more RPGs, this gen has been very disappointing outside of Oblivion so far. :(

I agree, this gen so far has been pretty crappy on the RPG front. Luckily there's some good looking ones coming down the pipe (Fallout 3, Lost Odyssey, White Knight, Conan).... just who knows when we'll get our hands on them. I'm also hoping that Bioware will decide to release Dragon Age on consoles as well.

I'd also like to see some tactical RPG's coming our way. Other than Disgaea 3 have any been announced??

Hagetaka
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Awesome Arkadian Warrior looks pretty sweet. Gotta see if I can drag my brother away from mass effect long enough to play some co-op.

Deunnero
12-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Aren't Huxley (RPG of the MMO variety), Too Human, Fable 2 gonna be out in 2008, and doesn't anyone consider them RPG's?

Anyone know if 3-player AW is an option?

EDIT: Kingdom of Fire? Elveon? Precursors? Rise of the Argonauts?

Phades
12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Aren't Huxley (RPG of the MMO variety), Too Human, Fable 2 gonna be out in 2008, and doesn't anyone consider them RPG's?

Anyone know if 3-player AW is an option?

EDIT: Kingdom of Fire? Elveon? Precursors?

Elveon and Kingdom Under Fire are more action games and not RPG's. Forgot about Too Human and Fable 2 though, those could be good. Huxley will likely never actually come out :)

Purple Santa
12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
i'll have to play the demo for AW especially with co-op. Ms. Claus loves co-op...doesn't matter the game. Gripshift i've never played but looks good enough to try. My problem is I often dl something but forget I have em, playing non-xbl stuff.

Vandenh
12-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Whaaaa??? If Arcadian Warriors is only 20% Nethack I am sold. About time Nethack type action came to XBLA.

Hmmm doesn't look half bad: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26413.html

Hmm.. more : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214544

Vandenh
12-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Hu?

We had Oblivion, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey on 360 in only 2 years. The PS3 is getting some killers as well and the DS has shitloads. I think it has been pretty good for RPGs on consoles. The PC has fallen a bit behind lately... maybe because everybody wants to clone WoW?

Johan
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Arkadian Warriors: Top-down, hack-and-slash, action RPG? Oh man...I'm always on the lookout for quality games of this type. (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38679) I sooo hope this is good!

Gripshift? I'll demo it, like I do every Arcade title, but I have no idea what to expect from it and I'm not a huge racing fan.

Also, it looks like Wanako, the developer of Assault Heroes, is the one doing Arkadian Warriors. I REALLY like their visual style/art. I'm quite stoked for AW!

Gorvi
12-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Hu?

We had Oblivion, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey on 360 in only 2 years. The PS3 is getting some killers as well and the DS has shitloads. I think it has been pretty good for RPGs on consoles. The PC has fallen a bit behind lately... maybe because everybody wants to clone WoW?
Well, as far as the PS3 and 360 are concerned, Oblivion is about it with the only games in the near future (FFXIII is coming what year?) are going to be White Knight Story and Disgaea. BD & ES didn't impress me (ES mostly because I just don't care for that style of battle system in a JRPG) and I've yet to try ME, but I've got hope for that one with all that I keep hearing about it.

On portables, yeah, stuff's good there, I'm playing the hell out of Etrian Odyssey and Disgaea.

I dunno, this gen just seems kinda dry for RPGs, but I've become kinda picky lately. The only RPGs I've bought this year on home consoles have been Rogue Galaxy and Oblivion. Nothing else has grabbed me (yes, including Persona 3).

I'm just getting to be a jaded, grumpy old RPG gamer I think. :p

Vandenh
12-10-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm just getting to be a jaded, grumpy old RPG gamer I think.

Probably :) What RPGs die we get first 1-2 year previous gen?

Gorvi
12-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Probably :) What RPGs die we get first 1-2 year previous gen?
Final Fantasy X, Shadow Hearts, Wild Arms 3, Tsugunai, Wizardry, and Okage are all that I can think of off hand. ;)

Vandenh
12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Hmmm... some good ones for JRPG fans :) I guess this gen has been better (for now) for WRPG fans :)

Norse
12-10-2007, 12:35 PM
I really wish to see more western RPGs like Mass Effect and Oblivion. JRPGs are coming out left and right, but unfortunately I don't care for JRPGs at all.

grognard66
12-10-2007, 12:41 PM
It looks like it was done by the same company as Assault Heroes. I was just playing (and enjoying) that this weekend.

Yeah, Wanako did both games. Assault Heroes is one of my all-time favorite XBLA titles so I'm really looking forward to this one.

UnderHero5
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
After watching some trailers of Arcadian Warriors on gametrailers.com, I'm no longer excited for it.

Seriously... it looks like shit (I don't mean just graphically). The gameplay looks horrible.

I'll still try the demo, but after playing gems like Baldurs Gate, and Champions of Norrath, hell, even Untold Legends, this game just doesn't look up to par.

CptTripps
12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't think comparing Bladurs gate with a $10 live title is really fair. It looks more like a cartoony diablo to me.

UnderHero5
12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think comparing Bladurs gate with a $10 live title is really fair. It looks more like a cartoony diablo to me.

Why isn't it fair? They're both the same type of game. Price should have little to do with a games quality, imo.

You could buy BG for Xbox for $10 or under, these days, I'm sure.

I'm not going to excuse a game just because it's cheap. It still needs to play good, to be considered a good game.
I'm not expecting the production values to be as good as BG, but I don't think it's too much to ask that the enemies react when you attack them. It looks like one of those games that gives little to no visual feedback when you attack something (other than a floating number), so it will feel like your weapon is passing right through the enemy. I've had many experiences with games like that, and it really takes away from the game.

If the combat isn't good, in a game that is entirely focused around combat, it will be a poor game.

Like I said, I'll still try the demo, and reserve final judgment until I do, but I will certainly be comparing it to other games in the genre, regardless of price.

Edit: Also, what ever happened to Castle Crashers?? I remember seeing videos of that game LAST Christmas, and thinking it was coming early 2007. What happened to it?

Phades
12-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Hmmm... some good ones for JRPG fans :) I guess this gen has been better (for now) for WRPG fans :)

Has it? We got KOTOR and Morrowind pretty quick last gen. I'd say it's been about equal on that front...... which is to say, not very good.

I wish more companies would make games like Oblivion. I absolutely love that kind of game. It makes me sad that we really only get one of those style of games every several years. Didn't it sell well? You'd think other companies would want to jump on the bandwagon.

UnderHero5
12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I wish more companies would make games like Oblivion. I absolutely love that kind of game. It makes me sad that we really only get one of those style of games every several years. Didn't it sell well? You'd think other companies would want to jump on the bandwagon.

Be careful what you wish for, or you'll get more turds like Two Worlds.

Salamande
12-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Is there a date for The Last Remnant yet? There's another one to look forward to.

CptTripps
12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Why isn't it fair? They're both the same type of game.

Even though rating suggests otherwise, one is a game for pretty hardcore RPG fans that uses the AD&D2 rule set, while the other is an arcade action rpg that was created for people 10yo and older. Although the same type in general I think the target audience is a factor here. I think they are shooting for simplistic, more like a gauntlet almost.

I have no comment on the gameplay yet, I am unsure how old those videos are and I can't really tell anyway until I feel a game responding to my commands.

I 100% agree that $$$ != Quality though.

Phades
12-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Be careful what you wish for, or you'll get more turds like Two Worlds.

I'm one of those people who actually enjoyed Two Worlds and beat it....... I'm not completely sure if it was because I thought it fun or just because I'm desperate for that kind of game.

Zecon
12-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I really wish Blizzard didn't have such a total hatred for consoles, it would be nice to see some Diablo on XBLA, especially without the hacks and dupes.

Phades
12-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I really wish Blizzard didn't have such a total hatred for consoles, it would be nice to see some Diablo on XBLA, especially without the hacks and dupes.

It could (http://www.gamespot.com/n64/strategy/starcraft64/index.html) happen. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/diablo/index.html)

Zecon
12-10-2007, 02:57 PM
It could (http://www.gamespot.com/n64/strategy/starcraft64/index.html) happen. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/diablo/index.html)

wow I had no idea it was on the PS1, but w/o the multiplayer, I couldn't imagine it being much fun.

Gorvi
12-10-2007, 03:27 PM
wow I had no idea it was on the PS1, but w/o the multiplayer, I couldn't imagine it being much fun.
It had local multiplayer. My wife and I played the hell out of that game when we first started dating. Man, that was fun.

scubabbl
12-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I 100% agree that $$$ != Quality though.

Not entirely true. If they had more money, they could hire more artists to put out the same amount of content that's double the quality. (A broad generalization and not exactly right on, but you get my point).

Content generation takes a (again, in general) fixed amount of time. Depending on how much of the content can be generated in parallel, the more people you have, the more quality you can put into each piece of content.

It doesn't scale 1 to 1, and it doesn't scale into infinity, but I know for a fact there is a nice area in the curve where you can maximize your quality and quantity. It looks like they are a little behind man power wise.

CptTripps
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
It looks like they are a little behind man power wise.

Really, what makes you say that?

Also, I said it does not equal quality, which imo means a ton of money does not guarantee a good game. I never said it wasn't a factor.

Johan
12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't care what anyone says. I enjoyed the heck out of Assault Heroes, both from a gameplay standpoint and a visual/artistic standpoint.

I have high hopes, and if this one is half as fun as Assault Heroes, I'll be well on my way to becoming a fan of Wanako.

CptTripps
12-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't care what anyone says. I enjoyed the heck out of Assault Heroes, both from a gameplay standpoint and a visual/artistic standpoint.

I have high hopes, and if this one is half as fun as Assault Heroes, I'll be well on my way to becoming a fan of Wanako.

I still play the crap out of assault heroes and agree it is a top notch "grab a controller and play" arcade title. I think I am already a fan after downloading massive amounts of boring from the arcade. If AH was their first entry then....

Great Developer, item as described, would do business with again A+++

Draknodred
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
That Arkadian Warriors looks pretty fun, will probably pick it up, need more RPGs on XBLA imo!

Magnanimous Gnome
12-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I'll definitely be downloading the demo for Arkadian Warriors. I have 800MS points right now. I've been thinking about getting UNO or Cloning Clyde, but I might end up with this instead.

Spigot
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Where did this Arkadian Warriors come from? I'm definately interested in giving it a whirl.

Gripshift... we'll see. I'll definately get it at some point, but might not bother this week.

spacemanspiff757
12-11-2007, 01:12 PM
AW looks like it has potential. Kind of reminds me of Untold Legends or D&D Heroes. With multiplayer, I think this could be a lot of fun

Johan
12-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Anyone with any observations on either of these games yet? I'm CURIOUS!!!

ZeroType
12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Anyone with any observations on either of these games yet? I'm CURIOUS!!!

Me too, especially Arkadian Warriors. Anyone?

Smokus Herbus
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Just got done playing the Arkadian Warriors trial. It was better than I thought it would be but the biggest gripe I have with it is when you attack something all you get is numbers, the creatures don't act like they've been hit.

At the end of the trial it says they have over 200 loot drops so that seems good, not sure if I am going to buy it or not yet.

Spigot
12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I snagged Arkadian. It's pretty and looks like it'll be fun to fire up when things are slow.

Haven't tried Gripshift yet. I'll probably await until tomorrow when I have some free time.

Johan
12-12-2007, 10:15 PM
I dabbled briefly with both of them. One minor irritant for me in AW is that there doesn't seem to be the option for me to invert the horizontal (left-right) axis. When I move the right analog stick to the left side, the camera moves right. I don't like that; it bugs me, and I prefer it inverted, but I didn't see any option in controls to change that.

As I said, I only messed with it for about ten minutes and then buried myself in Bioshock after the kids went to bed, so...I'll try it some more tomorrow. I haven't bought either...yet. I may get both.

NotJeff
12-13-2007, 07:21 AM
As I said, I only messed with it for about ten minutes and then buried myself in Bioshock after the kids went to bed, so...I'll try it some more tomorrow. I haven't bought either...yet. I may get both.

I played 6 or 7 quests of AW last night as an Archer, after playing (and liking) the warrior trial. Primary complaint is that it's too easy -- I don't think I've really been in any danger, ever, as an archer. Warrior was much more difficult, since you needed to get into melee range of the enemy to do damage. Archer can kill many enemies before they even aggro, if you're careful. Anyway. I hope the difficulty picks up.

I also liked the Gripshift trial, so I'll probably end up picking that up too at some point.