PDA

View Full Version : New GTA IV Trailer Today

bapenguin
12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Just a heads up that a new trailer for Grand Theft Auto 4 will be going live today on the official website (http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/trailer_splash.html) as well as the Xbox Live Marketplace in HD.

The trailer will be available at 3PM Eastern.

I have a feeling this one is going to be really good.

Gorvi
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
as well as the Xbox Live Marketplace in HD.
So this should be part of the Thursday PSN update as well like the other 2 have?

EDIT: I'm having a hard time getting excited about GTA4. Maybe it's because it's just so far off right now, but I'm also getting a bit tired of the gameplay.

Baron Samedi
12-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I have a feeling this one is going to be really good.

I have a feeling that your feeling is very good.

Mdot23
12-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm stoked for this. Any word on the release date? Are they still sticking to Q2 08?

bapenguin
12-06-2007, 10:07 AM
So this should be part of the Thursday PSN update as well like the other 2 have?

EDIT: I'm having a hard time getting excited about GTA4. Maybe it's because it's just so far off right now, but I'm also getting a bit tired of the gameplay.

I'm guessing, the notice I got did not specifically mention the PSN, only Xbox Live and the official site.

2HeadedBoy
12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm stoked for this. Any word on the release date? Are they still sticking to Q2 08?

That's the latest as of now, of course the trailer coming today could have a release date in it.

Sandman
12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
So that's the disturbance in the force I felt today....well I'm prepared for the internets to go down for a while; I've got my copy of The Golden Compass here. Up to Chapter 13 now.

Mr.Green
12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm having a hard time getting excited about GTA4. Maybe it's because it's just so far off right now, but I'm also getting a bit tired of the gameplay.

BURN THE HERETIC!

Seriously, from what I've read so far, they seem to have gone the right direction to keep the gameplay fresh, or bring it back to life depending on where you stand. :)

The new shooting/cover mechanics, the stealth, the way you escape the cops, the way you can jump to any mission at any time and other new features all sound very good to me. I'm stoked like a 7 year old on Christmas eve!

ArchVile
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Anyone know if this will be only available to XBL Gold members for the first week? or does that only apply to demos?

Grimmjow
12-06-2007, 11:07 AM
internet is going down!

.....again!

Sandman
12-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Less than 40 minutes till we all need something else to do!!!

CaptStu
12-06-2007, 11:12 AM

Doesn't the PSN most usually get things like a week or two after Live on average? It seems that way at least.

absolut taco
12-06-2007, 11:14 AM
The new shooting/cover mechanics, the stealth, the way you escape the cops, the way you can jump to any mission at any time and other new features all sound very good to me. I'm stoked like a 7 year old on Christmas eve!

I'll be stoked too, if they actually show some of that stuff, and it actually looks good. Fucking teasers... :)

Gorvi
12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Doesn't the PSN most usually get things like a week or two after Live on average? It seems that way at least.
Some demos it's been that way, but mostly with games that are also coming out later. The GTA trailers have all been the same Thursday as the week they go up.

carnage11
12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I want some gameplay footage or nothing at all. I'm tired of this cock tease. Come on R*!!

....and when I say gameplay footage I mean, I want to see what the HUD looks like. I want to see the camera angle, and how it controls. I'd also like to see the targeting system.

Mr.Green
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll be stoked too, if they actually show some of that stuff, and it actually looks good. Fucking teasers... :)

Well, if we're to believe those who saw it, it does. :)

I want some gameplay footage or nothing at all. I'm tired of this cock tease. Come on R*!!

....and when I say gameplay footage I mean, I want to see what the HUD looks like. I want to see the camera angle, and how it controls. I'd also like to see the targeting system.

Don't hold your breath. I highly doubt you'll get that today.

Royal Fool
12-06-2007, 11:47 AM
It's going to be another cinematic trailer.

Sandman
12-06-2007, 11:52 AM
3:02...where's my damn trailer?

CaptStu
12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Where is it????!!!!!!

Sandman
12-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Is the evil avatar server time off or is my PC clock fast? I have 3:05....EvAv has a few minutes before 2. If I don't see a trailer by 3:10 I'm taking out some kneecaps.

CaptStu
12-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Is the evil avatar server time off or is my PC clock fast? I have 3:05....EvAv has a few minutes before 2. If I don't see a trailer by 3:10 I'm taking out some kneecaps.

I have 2:06 on the laptop. 2:04 on the Blackberry. And 2:05 on my watch.

shunoshi
Downloading now....very, very slowly. :D

NationalKato
You know, if you wait until 4 pm EST it'll still be there. :)

Silversmith
12-06-2007, 11:58 AM
WTF WTF WTF.........OMG it's not up.... those bastards. When you 3pm EST then put it up. What the hell is wrong with you..........[/fanboyism]

CaptStu
12-06-2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28634.html

rainbowblack
12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Just watched it on live.
I think i saw gameplay...I need to watch it again without blinking.

Aside from that the cinematics looked good...choppy as a PS3 port, but good.

Gorvi
12-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Looks good. I'd still like to see some straight out gameplay, but that wasn't half bad.

Sandman
12-06-2007, 12:12 PM
It was good; but I'd like some gameplay already.

Gorvi
12-06-2007, 12:13 PM

There ya go.
Lose the s in gametrailers and it'll work. ;)

Sandman
12-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Lose the s in gametrailers and it'll work. ;)

Damn you replied fast.

It's also up on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6003722_1?ie=UTF8&docId=1000174181&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=1K558GW1B68EANTE8GHW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=337057901&pf_rd_i=507846) of all places.

Grey
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
two additional mirrors for HD: (honestly, how can you watch such things in flash?)

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_5592_en.html
http://www.exp.de/download.php?id=14058

NationalKato
12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm not harping on the character models, but if they're going to keep the ham-hands-style models, there better not be any framerate issues.

Grimmjow
12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
SO........ I just saw the trailer and after writting off GTA since GTA:VC. I have to say I'm BAAAAACK!

The video is hawt!

Cubfan
12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Am I crazy or was that really nothing special? I already know that GTA will have solid voice-acting, dialogue, and a great deal of atmosphere- but what's new? The graphics are better, obviously, but the character models and animation still could be improved.

Here's hoping that the eventual release of in-game footage will give me something to get excited about.

LongStepMantis
12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
SO........ I just saw the trailer and after writting off GTA since GTA:VC. I have to say I'm BAAAAACK!

The video is hawt!

I always thought it was weird that most GTA players are split into 2 fairly distinct camps.

First, are GTA players who liked 1-3.

Second, is players who say VC and SA were the absolute best ones.

I feel strange for liking all of them, from 1 to SA.

Silversmith
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
It's running a lot better. Is it me, or does the 2nd trailer run smoother as well. At least at the last 20 secs because that where the frame rate slow down.

Mr.Green
12-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm not harping on the character models, but if they're going to keep the ham-hands-style models, there better not be any framerate issues.

What are you talking about? Hands are fine. Unless you like them with 6 fingers, that is.

Aggort
12-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I always thought it was weird that most GTA players are split into 2 fairly distinct camps.

First, are GTA players who liked 1-3.

Second, is players who say VC and SA were the absolute best ones.

I feel strange for liking all of them, from 1 to SA.

Don't feel strange. I do too, I loved one and played it all the way up until two. I even had London! GTA as a whole is amazing and some of the people who didn't play SA or VC just didn't enjoy the hype. They were better than 3 in every way. Most people didn't start playing till GTA 3, but for those of us that saw the glory in freedom in GTA congrats! That game defined gaming for 3 and most everything that was in one still exists in GTA games now!

I loved this trailer, I am drooling waiting for this game. I love the franchise and this will be a great addition! Ironically I hope they bring back top-down view, that was always fun in 3! I am really glad this trailer included a bit of the storyline, the opening especially. It's great to see these characters interacting for the storyline we already knew!

Aggort
12-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Am I crazy or was that really nothing special? I already know that GTA will have solid voice-acting, dialogue, and a great deal of atmosphere- but what's new? The graphics are better, obviously, but the character models and animation still could be improved.

Here's hoping that the eventual release of in-game footage will give me something to get excited about.

I thought the animations in the first trailer was fine, they were awfully smooth. Game Informer had a nice article 3 months ago and they said that they are working feverishly on the Character models and animations. The civilians animations are what most impressed me with the trailer. finally they look real!

Also a good chunk of that trailer was in game footage, just taken at different angles. Especially the shooting scenes.

Mr.Green
12-06-2007, 12:48 PM
The fire and smoke look amazing. This also gave me the feeling they worked on the melee combat.

NationalKato
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
What are you talking about? Hands are fine. Unless you like them with 6 fingers, that is.

Ham hands, Mr. Green, ham hands! Besides updated skins and maybe a few more polygons, the character models look moderately better, but we still have blocky ham-hands. Don't make me type ham hands again!

I just want the framerate to be solid, that's all. Guess I'll have to take another plate of ham ha-- see what you made me do!

bapenguin
12-06-2007, 01:05 PM
That trailer was pretty badass. Gotta say, I'm stoked about this.

I like the variety of characters and the setting. It just feels like a gritty crime drama or something.

Grey
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Hm I would have preferred some more action. I dont realy like these characters, hate the russian accent of the protagonist.

but worst of all: its not for PC yet. :(

Gedd
12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Looks good, can't wait to play it next August. (PC)

but worst of all: its not for PC yet.

- It will, about 6-8 months after console release.

Hugenex
12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Hm I would have preferred some more action. I dont realy like these characters, hate the russian accent of the protagonist.

but worst of all: its not for PC yet. :(

Hello Troll. Hope you are doing well and life is treating you fairly. Cheers.

ArkMan
12-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Ham hands, Mr. Green, ham hands! Besides updated skins and maybe a few more polygons, the character models look moderately better, but we still have blocky ham-hands. Don't make me type ham hands again!

I just want the framerate to be solid, that's all. Guess I'll have to take another plate of ham ha-- see what you made me do!

I'm with Mr. Green, dude what the hell are you talking about?

http://i11.tinypic.com/7xd5cv8.jpg

ElPresidente
12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Damn that trailer has me excited. I mean REAL excited.

Wow!

LostToys
12-06-2007, 02:36 PM

They are more like claw hands nows. check out the trailer, most of the time their fingers are curled in. They have individual digits, however.

miah
12-06-2007, 03:08 PM
I thought it looked pretty good, I don't have any complaints about it at this point.

TheKeck
12-06-2007, 03:46 PM
I just watched it again. I am going to have to join the "ham hands????" camp.

(Hands looked great to me.)

Spiffae
12-06-2007, 05:03 PM
anyone concerned about the inconsistent and not-fantastic framerate?

MacD
12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow...I'm excited :)

As usual, R* has shitty character models and horrible animation. And as per usual, that doesn't matter in the slightest! R* do environments so well, and the openendedness and gameplay potential in those environments are so engrossing that it's just a mustplay game for me. The magic is in the way they create an actual city (with a center, and suburbs, and correct transitions between it all) and just let you play in that city.
The bad character models/animations are a sacrifice I'm willing to make for that ultimate sandbox, the story and potential are enough to keep my suspense of disbelief going for a long while.

As for bad framerates...a)you guys sure your hardware is up to displaying HD content? Your rig might not have the stones for it and b)recording content from ingame always hits fps.
I'm more worried about the sysreq's, but know that if I'm in the area of 'recomended' I'll be able to play the game perfectly. Then again, my last gen pc (p4 2.6c, 2gb ram and 512mb7800) is more powerfull than any console on the market bar some ps3 CELL trickery, so I'm not worried anyway.

ElPresidente
12-06-2007, 05:33 PM

The dodgy frame rate never caused a problem in earlier GTAs and the framerate in the new video is fine IMO.

Mantooth
12-06-2007, 05:39 PM

Forget the ham hands, what about the man boobs?

Grey
12-06-2007, 06:19 PM
It will, about 6-8 months after console release.

Thats pretty sure, yes. But still :(

Hello Troll. Hope you are doing well and life is treating you fairly. Cheers.

Wasnt meant to be "trolling", komm klar.

KingGorilla
12-06-2007, 06:23 PM

You cannot judge a game's framerate from a video.

Dag-Sabot
12-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Nice trailer. The game goes gold when?

Opty
12-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Bloooooooom

Magnanimous Gnome
12-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I never really got to play the previous 3D GTA titles (I know, I know), but I am starting to look forward to this one. I definitely experienced the Uncanny Valley in that trailer, but it was still exciting.

51|RandoM
12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I hope it looks a lot better at release. Probably just me, after all I'm the crazy guy who enjoyed Saints Row yet hasn't liked any of the GTA games.

jacktion
12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Looks fun. Just like all the GTAs. But the characters are damned ugly. They really need to hire some new artists because you can tell that the same guy is working on all these faces. They all have that weird bulbous nose.
So the modeling is not that great, and the anatomy of a lot of the characters is below average. Especially for a AAA title like this that could attract triple A art talent if the art director wanted to.
It is not being helped by the lighting engine. It looks good in the environments, but the faces have some weird highlighting going on that only makes them look uglier and more crude.
I'm sure the game will be fun just like all the others and I will definitely play it, but I'm disappointed that they haven't increased their talent level at the development studios.

rhooke
12-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Looks fun. Just like all the GTAs. But the characters are damned ugly. They really need to hire some new artists because you can tell that the same guy is working on all these faces. They all have that weird bulbous nose.
So the modeling is not that great, and the anatomy of a lot of the characters is below average. Especially for a AAA title like this that could attract triple A art talent if the art director wanted to.
It is not being helped by the lighting engine. It looks good in the environments, but the faces have some weird highlighting going on that only makes them look uglier and more crude.
I'm sure the game will be fun just like all the others and I will definitely play it, but I'm disappointed that they haven't increased their talent level at the development studios.

they should just outsource it to Epic.

granted, then the game would involve gigantic beefcake Russians in power armor, but I could see myself playing that.

Mr.Green
12-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I hope it looks a lot better at release. Probably just me, after all I'm the crazy guy who enjoyed Saints Row yet hasn't liked any of the GTA games.

Are you implying Saints Row looked better?

If the answer is yes then I think you're batshit crazy.

Anyway, I loved SR as well and I think it topped GTA on many aspects but GTA4 looks like it'll take back the crown to me.

Mr.Green
12-06-2007, 08:12 PM
You can't compare the graphics of this game to corridor shooters. It takes place in a huge city with hundreds, if not thousands of vehicles and pedestrians. Tons of buildings you can enter and whatnot. All that, without ever stopping you with a loading screen. If you expect it to be the most visually impressive game ever you're gonna be disappointed. It has nothing to do with poor artists or programmers, it's simple math.

rhooke
12-06-2007, 08:19 PM
true enough.

on the other hand, why not use more detailed/better animated models for cutscenes?
(i'm not being facetious, that's actually a question)

Suicidal ShiZuru
12-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Awesome, but if the framerate is shit Im gonna be pissed. I saw quite a lot of fps drop...

Mr.Green
12-06-2007, 08:33 PM
true enough.

on the other hand, why not use more detailed/better animated models for cutscenes?
(i'm not being facetious, that's actually a question)

Well they probably don't want to waste memory keeping 2 versions of every character ready. If there are loading screens before each cut-scene then there is no reason they couldn't do it. I think I've read there were no loading screens at all though, but I could be wrong.

rhooke
12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
ah. i thought of the memory concern but didn't think of the loading one.

there is a reason that I'm strictly on the *consuming* end of these things. :D

menage
12-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Saw the trailer, didn't look that impressive at all. The game looked old, the theme doesn't do anything for me and it just seemed like yet another boring GTA. I never finished any GTA (got bored or irritated by repeating missions 10 times and getting warped back to the beginning on the other side of the city).

Unless the reviews tell me it's totally different I've had enough GTA.

ElPresidente
12-07-2007, 03:48 AM
The game looks old?

Damn... I'd love to have been playing the games you were only a couple of years ago.

Sure, it is not bleeding edge tech but by the same token considering the view distance, characters on screen, blah blah blah... it aints shabby at all. In fact I think as a cohesive whole it looks ten times better than most games out there.

Ancalagon
12-07-2007, 04:03 AM
It looks nice, I'll give it that. Far more impressive than previous GTA games. I dont mean compared to those games (obviously it will look better) but relative to what else is out there. the GTA games always looked shitty to me compared to other games, but this, this looks good.

lets hope its fun to play. I did like the open areas in SA, pity those have been axed.

Gorvi
12-07-2007, 05:14 AM
I've gotta say, after getting home and watching it on my TV (instead of a small window on my PC), I'm a bit less impressed. I don't know, it just didn't look right. I think I'm going to need some pretty good reviews to consider this one now, saying that it really does something new and interesting.

menage
12-07-2007, 06:03 AM
The game looks old?

Damn... I'd love to have been playing the games you were only a couple of years ago.

I'm not talking about textures, view distances, etc. I'm talking about art direction (characters look and move quite lame), cutscenes and feel. It just looks like GTA with slightly better graphics. And I already played that game too much. I would have liked a RE4 overhaul by now. It's getting boring.

51|RandoM
12-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Are you implying Saints Row looked better?

Saints Row at least has color, everything in GTA is washed-out watercolors.

Saints Row gunplay > GTA gunplay. Hopefully Rockstar North noticed this and made some much-needed changes.

the defenders will say that GTA was never about the graphics. I'll just pre-empt and say why not have graphics and gameplay in the same game? :)

Mr.Green
12-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Saints Row at least has color, everything in GTA is washed-out watercolors.
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/ga/buzz/feature/vg11/gta4_4-a.jpg
Doesn't look washed-out to me. I don't want it to look like Mario Galaxy either. Not that it's not a pretty game, but I want a more realistic look for this type of game.

Saints Row gunplay > GTA gunplay. Hopefully Rockstar North noticed this and made some much-needed changes.

Oh god yeah. Not gonna argue with you there. What I've read in the previews about a Gears of War type of shooting/cover system gives me hope though. Houser also said to IGN today that they've worked a lot on the hand-to-hand combat as well.

I'll just pre-empt and say why not have graphics and gameplay in the same game?

And world peace! :)

Venkman
12-07-2007, 09:17 AM
GTAIV and Metal Gear Solid 4 - are they both all cutscenes? I don't like it when the cool parts of the game are the non-interactive parts.

As for the "hamd hands", you can see a little of that in the scenes when people wave their arms around and barely flex their fingers or hands. Some of the people dancing looked like they had prosthetic hands.

Impressive environments and believable cities, though. That's pretty sweet. The facial animation was pretty darn good, too. The buildings casting shadows on the traffic and characters adds a lot of visual depth and believability, and the rim lighting on the shaders for the skin looks pretty tight- pulling the characters out of the background colors just a bit more.

Ink Asylum
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Guess I'm just over GTA, because that trailer didn't generate a blip of excitement for me. Nothing. I've been a fan of the series since the top-down PC games, played the death out of GTAIII, enjoyed Vice City, tried San Andreas and just didn't get into it.

Count me in the "ugh..." camp when it comes to the character models. Not that GTA has ever been known for amazing characters, but while before it was easy to overlook them, now they have firmly into Uncanny Valley. I feel like I'm watching corpse puppets. It's very disconcerting. I suppose I've been spoiled since Half-Life 2.

The lack of actual gameplay content trailers is just annoying at this point. If you want to make a movie, R*, just make a fucking movie. Dramatic crime stories were a novelty back when GTA III shipped. Now they're tired and cliche. Get off your cinematic high horse and prove your game is fun to play.

carnage11
12-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Holy crap that should be censored. I didn't know this game was gonna have naked titties in it!

Oh wait....I just realized that's supposed to be a guy.:(