PDA

View Full Version : Brütal Legend Officially Announced

bapenguin
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
We've all seen the teaser (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26524.html), now comes the official word that Tim Schafer's Brütal Legend is coming next year to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. The game is going to be published by Sierra and will be "The Most Righteous and Epic Fable of Massive Music, Apocalyptic War, and Brütal Action… Ever"

Full press release inside (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1043796#post1043796).

bapenguin
10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
SIERRA ENTERTAINMENT AND DOUBLE FINE PRODUCTIONS UNEARTH ANCIENT TOME AND DECRYPT BRÜTAL LEGEND™

Early Translation Reveals The Most Righteous and Epic Fable of Massive Music, Apocalyptic War, and Brütal Action… Ever

LOS ANGELES (October 19, 2007) – Sierra Entertainment, a division of Vivendi Games, revealed today the discovery and initial findings of Brütal Legend™. Guided by sacred power chords and blessed bass drums, Tim Schafer and his team of metal historians at Double Fine Productions have cracked the primeval secrets to the Age of Metal. Together, the two groups are in the process of reconstructing and realizing the events that took place eons ago, allowing future generations to pay respect and experience first-hand the blood, sweat and chrome needed to ensure metal prevailed.

“Holy crap!” exclaimed Schafer, “I have been dreaming about this day for fifteen years. And now it is finally here. We’ve gathered small clues over the years about the Age of Metal, in songs, t-shirts, and album covers. But now we have uncovered the metal mother lode, the full legend of what actually happened in that loud and heavy era, and we are the lucky ones who get to tell the tale.”

“Our existence as humans will forever be reconceived,” said Martin Tremblay, president, Worldwide Studios for Sierra Entertainment. “Definitive answers to the discovery of dry ice, invention of the wheel, Jurassic era, religious convention and many other testaments and myths are going to be revealed to the world.”

Work has been going around the clock and insiders close to Schafer have described Brütal Legend as the chronicle of Eddie Riggs, a roadie of a virtuous metal band, pulled back in time to learn his true purpose. Offered the wealth and knowledge of an ancient kingdom in exchange for assembling a legion of his own design, the roadie commands a barbaric mob of demons, dragsters, amp stacks, leather, and chrome. Together they thunder across the land in the ultimate Tour of Destruction, driving the ancient world headlong into the Age of Metal.

Piecing the period of time when a divine society used raw materials of ROCK and hot rods which lay dormant in this land, experts at Double Fine also revealed the fantastic nature of this world where Big-block V8 engines were dug out of the ground like minerals. Exhaust pipes were cut from trees made of chrome and a luminous sky was lit up with heavenly lighters held up by the gods.

The entire narration of Brütal Legend will be told through today’s most sophisticated and wide reaching technologies, namely PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system from Sony and Microsoft's Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Set for release to the world in 2008, all should prepare for the onslaught of pure brutal mayhem and enlightenment.
Officials have promised additional details regarding Brütal Legend and the future of mankind will be available at www.BrutalLegends.com.

Apollwn
10-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Ah - urgh. Ok. I was hoping that rumor wasn't true, but it's official now. And that Wideload game with the animal election officially has competition for the most offbeat game from a major developer right now.

And I have to say I have little to NO interest. The concept for Psychonauts was so cool, and this is so... nah. Tim Schafer should inject interest for me, except that I actually felt the fun level is Psychonauts was rather low at a point, compared to its aesthetic level design, quirky inventiveness and art house cred. I haven't gotten around to finishing it.

Err, prove me wrong, Brutal Legends. Prove. me. wrong. /Homer

Lord_Don
10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
According to what I've heard so far, this is going to be the greatest game ever made. Or at least a tribute to the greatest game ever made.

LongStepMantis
10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
This game just sounds better and better as it goes along.
It has...ZAZZ.

Esquilax1138
10-19-2007, 11:48 AM
No PC version? Fuckers.

H.Bogard
10-19-2007, 12:03 PM
No PC version? Fuckers.

Words out of my mouth. :(

eatme
10-19-2007, 12:04 PM
And I have to say I have little to NO interest. The concept for Psychonauts was so cool, and this is so... nah.

If they're alienating the Psychonauts fans, that's probably a sign that Double Fine is on the path to success. :) It's pretty clear that the part of the Venn diagram containing people who bought Psychonauts is NOT the bit you want to market to.

Apollwn
10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
If they're alienating the Psychonauts fans, that's probably a sign that Double Fine is on the path to success. :) It's pretty clear that the part of the Venn diagram containing people who bought Psychonauts is NOT the bit you want to market to.

Point taken. Granted, I should never be mistaken for the typical gamer, rather an idiosyncratic one. I make a lousy "market segment." I likes whatever I likes. :)

I wasn't saying it won't sell, just that it probably won't sell to me. Which is all I care about. ;)

automaton
10-19-2007, 12:36 PM
I think it looks cool. Like if Freddy Mercury and Tim Burton made a video game. I'm not sure how (art-design-wise) they could make this much cooler. It really looks like Schafer was burnt by the poor reception of Psychonauts and it going balls out on this one. I love the gratuitous blood and when the guy sprouted wings I felt a little kid inside of me scream with excitement.

Then again, I'm usually a sucker for style over substance.

Talanvor
10-19-2007, 12:48 PM
The last Game Informer had this as the cover story. I think it would, heh, rock if done well. I wonder if they'll let you use one of the guitars from GH or Rock Band at certain points. That'd be METAL!

saulob
10-19-2007, 04:13 PM
No PC version? Fuckers.

Words out of my mouth. :(

I jut entered to say that.....

DAMN! :mad:

Skyelan
10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
It really looks like Schafer was burnt by the poor reception of Psychonauts and it going balls out on this one.

Nah, Schafer just this rule in his games: Every project should be the complete opposite from the last. Much like how a kid in psychic camp hopping through minds was a quite a change from a deeply artsy 'day of the dead' style noir tale about a humble skeleton and the afterlife. Which in turn was out there when compared to a Mad-Max style setting and trying to save the last company that produces motorcycles, when someone is trying to force it into a (oh horror!) 'minivan direction'. And so on, and so forth. :p

CrysDark
10-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Anyone else think the Jack Black as the lead voice is cool? I read the GI article and I think this game is going to *cough* ROCK!! *cough*